Bread and butter pudding

waiting6, Jul 15, 8:40pm
I have a whole french stick can I use this for bread and butter pudding and I will need a receipe for it

elsielaurie1, Jul 15, 8:59pm
Slice the bread, about 2.5cm thick, butter one side. Place in a buttered oven-dish, sprinkle with sugar. Beat 2-3 eggs in 500mls milk, pour milk o ver the bread.Bake in 18OoC for about 3/4 hour.My Mum used to spread the top with raspberry jam,whip 2-3 eggs whites (meringue) with sugar and spread this on top of the raspberry jam - yummy.

elsielaurie1, Jul 15, 8:59pm
Slice the bread, about 2.5cm thick, butter one side. Place in a buttered oven-dish, sprinkle with sugar. Beat 2-3 eggs in 500mls milk, pour milk o ver the bread.Bake in 18OoC for about 3/4 hour.My Mum used to spread the top with raspberry jam,whip 2-3 eggs whites (meringue) with sugar and spread this on top of the raspberry jam - yummy.Sprinkle sultanas within the bread as well for extra texture as well.

phoenix10111, Jul 15, 9:00pm
yes, you can definitely use this for bread and butter pudding. sorry, don't have a recipe to hand but if you do a search on the left under bread and butter pudding, posted in the last year - i'm sure you'll find plenty

geldof, Jul 15, 9:04pm
One whole french stick is going to make a huge Pudding!
You may want to freeze half or turn it into bread crumbs.

Also with a French stick I would let it sit for an hour before baking, to give the milk mixture time to soak in.

I don't use a recipe.Just remember 1 egg to a cup of milk.
Endless varieties you can make.
I sometimes put plums and while chocolate through it.

cgvl, Jul 15, 9:09pm
yes you can, need to be cut fairly thin IMO.
Recipe as such, not sure I have one but this is what I do.
Butter or marg the bread cut off crusts (keep crusts for breadcrumbs)
lay first layer of bread butter side down in dish.
Add a handful of dried fruit (sultana's or raisins are the common ones but I also use apricots), also a sprinkle of cinnamon or nutmeg.
layer with bread again and keep doing so until dish nearly full. Make last bread layer butter side up.
In a large jug or bowl you will need to whisk sugar, eggs and milk together and carefully pour over the bread mix. Use a knife to get all the mix down sides and into middle of the pudding. Depends on size but I make one for 4 adults that uses 2Tbsp sugar, 2 large eggs and 1 cup milk, increase or decrease as needed to with dish size.
Also putting in fridge lets milk and eggs soak through.
Bake 180C until set and top golden.
A queen pudding is the same except separate the eggs, keep egg whites though and use yolks in milk mix. Cook then take from oven and spread top with jam (raspberry), beat egg whites until stiff, fold in 2Tbsp sugar and then pile on top of pudding and back into oven to set and until nicely golden brown.
Sorry I cant be more precise I just make it out of my head most times and have no idea where my recipe is.

harrislucinda, Jul 15, 9:14pm
seethosebikerbakers onchoicetvtheyheatedthemilkandbutterandthenpoureditover thebreaditryedwasnice

cookessentials, Jul 15, 9:24pm
If you LOVE bread pudding and want the best ever, buy the "Delicious" magazine, there is a fabulous recipe in there using almond croissant.

phoenix10111, Jul 16, 2:00am
yum - that sounds gorgeous! Brioche makes good B & B butter too.

eastie3, Jul 16, 2:15am
Years ago NZ House and Garden had a B&B recipe using croissants,cream,eggs and chocolate.It was the most deliciously decadent dish and,sadly,I have lost the recipe.It's a great cold weather pud.

waswoods, Jul 16, 6:00am
I use apricot jam, sprinkle of ground ginger and raisins or sultanas
Or plum jam sprinkled with cinnamon and raisins or sultanas
And for Easter use Hot Cross Buns - very yummy

karenz, Jul 16, 6:55am
There was a hot cross bun recipe printed in one of the weekend papers around Easter, never got around to making it but is looked good.

tigeraptor2001, Jul 16, 9:04am
I use crumpets yummy!