How do you make bread and butter pudding?

babymac, Mar 6, 2:02am
Who has got a quick and easy but nice recipe for Bread and Butter Pudding please?

vesumona_gurl, Mar 6, 2:06am
I'm keen to know the recipe as well :)

elliehen, Mar 6, 3:41am
:))

karenz, Mar 6, 3:45am
Yum, my aunt used to spread the butter and put raspberry jam onto the bread, that was lovely, and I am pretty sure there wasn't orange rind, I suppose with this kind of recipe you could experiment a bit as long as you got the bread and liquids ratio right.

elliehen, Mar 6, 3:52am
There's a variation called Queen Pudding (in Aunt Daisy's books) which has raspberry jam and a meringue topping.

sarahb5, Mar 6, 4:44am
And is made with cake instead of bread so nothing like bread and butter pudding really other than the fact that it's pudding!

karenz, Mar 6, 4:57am
Hers was definitely bread and butter pudding but she put jam on the bread and butter, also had eggs and dried fruit and eggs, sugar and nutmeg on top, and was baked in theoven, obviously a hybrid but a delicious one.After reading this I am going to do my own hybrid tonight with sweet tangelo marmalade instead of raspberry jam, not sure how it will turn out because I only have Freya's multigrain not white bread.

dezzie, Mar 6, 5:01am
I made it once with that nice italian christmas bread (name escapes me, starts with P), buttered it, then spread onmarmalade and it was lovely.

kabbo, Mar 6, 5:14am
It's called Panetone (sp?):-)

kabbo, Mar 6, 5:16am
we used to have bread and butter pudding lots when we were kids.
when I make it now, I always put chocolate chips in the layers and lotsa sugar. yum yum.

kuaka, Mar 6, 9:44am
Bread and butter pudding and bread pudding are totally different animals.Bread and butter pudding is made by buttering an ovenproof dish, and then placing buttered bread (crusts removed) on the bottom and up the sides of the dish, sprinkle with sugar (brown or white) and sultanas) followed by another layer of buttered bread, more sugar and fruit, and continue until the dish is full.Mix eggs and milk and carefully pour over the bread, allowing it to soak in.Sprinkle with cinnamon or mixed spice, and bake.The egg/milk mix forms a custard and it is yummy.

Bread pudding is made by soaking bread (usually stale but not mouldy) in water until it's soft, then draining the excess liquid off, squeeze the bread to remove as much moisture as possible, then mix eggs, milk, sugar and dried fruit to the bread pulp, and stir till it resembles a cake mix, and bake in an ovenproof dish.

elliehen, Mar 6, 10:40am
An elegant Bread and Butter Pudding :)

dezzie, Mar 6, 5:17pm
lol thats the one, my brain kept telling me pannacotta (sp) and I knew it was wrong, because thats that "set cream" dessert.

babymac, Mar 7, 2:02am
Who has got a quick and easy but nice recipe for Bread and Butter Pudding please!

vesumona_gurl, Mar 7, 2:06am
I'm keen to know the recipe as well :)

karenz, Mar 7, 3:45am
Yum, my aunt used to spread the butter and put raspberry jam onto the bread, that was lovely, and I am pretty sure there wasn't orange rind, I suppose with this kind of recipe you could experiment a bit as long as you got the bread and liquids ratio right.

elliehen, Mar 7, 3:52am
There's a variation called Queen Pudding (in Aunt Daisy's books) which has raspberry jam and a meringue topping.

sarahb5, Mar 7, 4:44am
And is made with cake instead of bread so nothing like bread and butter pudding really other than the fact that it's pudding!

karenz, Mar 7, 4:57am
Hers was definitely bread and butter pudding but she put jam on the bread and butter, also had eggs and dried fruit and eggs, sugar and nutmeg on top, and was baked in theoven, obviously a hybrid but a delicious one.After reading this I am going to do my own hybrid tonight with sweet tangelo marmalade instead of raspberry jam, not sure how it will turn out because I only have Freya's multigrain not white bread.

kabbo, Mar 7, 5:14am
It's called Panetone (sp!):-)

kuaka, Mar 7, 9:44am
Bread and butter pudding and bread pudding are totally different animals.Bread and butter pudding is made by buttering an ovenproof dish, and then placing buttered bread (crusts removed) on the bottom and up the sides of the dish, sprinkle with sugar (brown or white) and sultanas) followed by another layer of buttered bread, more sugar and fruit, and continue until the dish is full.Mix eggs and milk and carefully pour over the bread, allowing it to soak in.Sprinkle with cinnamon or mixed spice, and bake.The egg/milk mix forms a custard and it is yummy.

Bread pudding is made by soaking bread (usually stale but not mouldy) in water until it's soft, then draining the excess liquid off, squeeze the bread to remove as much moisture as possible, then mix eggs, milk, sugar and dried fruit to the bread pulp, and stir till it resembles a cake mix, and bake in an ovenproof dish.

ducky12, Mar 15, 7:42am
put sultanas in bottom of dish with a sprinkle of sugar then beat about 4 to 5 eggs with milk about 1 and half cups of milk pour over sultanas then butter about 5 slices of bread and put on top sprinkle a little nutmeg on top and sugar if you like bake in oven until the egg looks firm about three quarters of an hour top will be nice and brown good old english way of making it

kuaka, Mar 15, 11:19am
Obviously some people are still confusing "bread and butter pudding" with "bread pudding" and queen pudding is different again.