Double Yolks.

1lady, May 6, 7:24am
I bought a tray of [20] Farmer Brown eggs from the SupermarketI have used Twelve and NINEhave had DOUBLE YOLKS!WOW!

bedazzledjewels, May 6, 7:45am
Oh, I'm so jealous of the double yolks.

sharee9, May 6, 8:00am
I love double yolkers!
*spot the city kid*

natalie9, May 6, 8:27am
extra hormones

walkstew, May 6, 8:33am
I've got a friend who works in a chicken place and he gets trays of double yolkers for free,my dogs love 'em!

very_hotpants, May 6, 8:41am
I havent had a double yolk in years

holly-rocks, May 6, 8:46am
Ive been buying the Pams free range eggs lately and have had several double yokers in every carton.

elliehen, May 6, 8:48am
According to wiki.

"Double-yolk eggs occur when ovulation occurs too rapidly, or when one yolk becomes joined with another yolk. These eggs may be the result of a young hen's reproductive cycle not yet being synchronized.Some hybrid breeds of hens also produce double-yolk eggs by default. Such eggs are produced in India. Eastern states known for that are West Bengal and Andhra Pradesh.

Some hens will rarely lay double-yolked eggs as the result of unsynchronized production cycles. Although heredity causes some hens to have a higher propensity to lay double-yolked eggs, these occur more frequently as occasional abnormalities in young hens beginning to lay. Usually, a double-yolked egg will be longer and thinner than an ordinary single-yolk egg. Double-yolked eggs usually only lead to observed successful hatchlings under human intervention, as the chickens interfere with each other's hatching process and die."

firemansgirl, May 6, 9:03am
Sigh. somehow knowing that there is a scientific reason for a double yolker takes all the child-like excitement out of finding one. lol.

elliehen, May 6, 11:01am
At least you'll know you're not eating some poor chook's twins ;)

ace441, May 6, 11:59am
Ahhh . phooey! We have 18 chooks and the only time we have had double yolkers is when the new 'baby' chooks started laying. It's like the double yolkers are the 'duds' as they hone their egg laying skills. We even had a triple yolker once - just the one mind you. This is my scientific theory and I'm sticking to it. The new layers sometimes lay the eggs with a soft shell - like a thin leather, teeny tiny ones not much bigger than a jelly bean, misshapen ones - practice makes perfect!

deus701, May 6, 12:26pm
You can actually buy double yolk eggs. I think the grade is double AA, as when the chicken lay the eggs, it rolls down this conveyor belt and the egg is sorted respectively by weight. I thought it was rare too.till i visit my dad's friend who owns a chicken farm. Three free trays of double yolk eggs killed my enthusiasm

iman007, May 7, 1:02am
i cooked 3 huge eggs sunday and all were single yolk,and yet the week before 2 average ones were double yolks.Doh !
I normally get 1 or 2 per dozen though, i get mine from weedons free range at $5.20 a dozen

elliehen, May 7, 1:07am
Bit it seems you're agreeing with wiki ;)In different words, that's what wiki is saying:

"These eggs may be the result of a young hen's reproductive cycle not yet being synchronized."

pericles, May 7, 1:10am
i bought some at the market yesterday. a tray of 15 for 3.50, they are HUGE

cookessentials, May 7, 1:49am
pullets more than likely which is quite noormal when they first begin to lay until their cycle settles down. Our two new girls who are four months old should be laying for the first time in a few months too.