What to eat with soup - not bread

Page 2 / 3
nfh1, Apr 30, 8:40am
Crumpets!Or do they count as bread as well!

m41, Apr 30, 9:00am
are you gluten free ! as you can get rice noodles ,rice crackers etc however depends what type of soup your havingas you can add pastas, noodles, barley wheat , chickpeas, potatoes which wouyld all be filling needing no bread !

korbo, Apr 30, 9:48am
my mr always has a little packet of salt/vinegar chips with his soup. doesnt matter what flavour the soup is, he has chips with them.

cloudberry, Apr 30, 8:50pm
If you want to avoid wheat and want something crisp what about some vege chips (inspired by last weekend's Food Truck) or parmesan crisps! (Or the budget version made out of microwaved processed cheese)

prawn_whiskas, Apr 30, 9:14pm
This thread is hilarious lol

davidt4, Apr 30, 9:45pm
Indeed.And much funnier than the clumsy attempts at humour on some other threads.

mattdylan, Apr 30, 9:54pm
Great all awesome suggestions - thanks :) I will try eating my soup with some crackers next time , I just dont like the heaviness of bread that's all!

purplegoanna, Apr 30, 10:04pm
i use crackers now due to running out of bread one day.they re actually quite tasty.

janny3, Apr 30, 10:06pm
Drop teaspoonfulls of dough onto the soup for the last 10 - 15 mins of cooking.You can make small dumplings from a type of gnocchi mixture, herbed scone or bread dough. Friends add pasta or ravioli to some of their tomato based soups.

kinna54, Apr 30, 11:49pm
You can also try this: a puff pastry sheet cut into squares, sprinkled with some grated cheese and herbs, and baked hot oven for around 10mins.
Delicious!

carter441, May 1, 2:41am
Sausage rolls go nice with tomato soup or pumpkin soup.

elliehen, May 1, 6:35am
I was just thinking of old-fashioned cheese straws :)

mothergoose_nz, May 1, 7:10am
the most economical meal is soup with sconesor dumplings.you get filled up on all your food groups.

lindylambchops1, May 1, 9:28am
I love sausage rolls with spicy pumpkin soup!

lanceandkathrin, May 4, 8:42am
Depending on the soup you could warm up some frankfurters or similar in the soup - works well with lentil/thick mixed vegetable soups.

Alternatively, you could try some croutons or in clear soups little dumplings made out of semolina are really nice.

For those you heat 1/2l milk with 100g butter, 1.5 Tsp salt and a pinch of nutmeg, stir in 200g semolina, let the mass cool down a little, then add 4 eggs one by one. Form little dumplings (1/2 a golfball size) and simmer them in some clear beef or veggie stock).They are done when they have risen to the top and can then also be added to veggie soups.

maximus44, May 4, 9:40am
We had pumpkin soup tonight with english muffins and cheese on them baked in the oven.

miri_s, May 4, 9:48am
If your soup is hearty and delicious enough, I don't see the need to have anything with it!

medicina, May 4, 10:16am
My kids like hot chips with their soup.Actually they like hot chips with just about anything (but they do eat their soup)

elliehen, May 4, 10:57am
Well, this thread continues and I still can't find the joke!Anyone!

hestia, May 5, 12:29am
Puff pastry soup - ladle the soup into individual soup bowls (oven-proof), drape a square of puff pastry over the top, secure the edges with water. Brush the top of the pastry with beaten egg, bake until the pastry is golden.

hestia, May 5, 12:33am
I had soup like this once - matzo ball soup.

elliehen, May 5, 12:42am
What a great idea for a hearty winter soup!.a meal by itself.

hestia, May 5, 5:03am
Yes, it is very satisfying.

52many, May 5, 5:20am
Oatcakes. Although it sounds like cakes it is actually more like a biscuit more traditionally served with haggis, stovies or mince. However our family also ate them with soup.

dollmakernz, May 5, 6:23am
Cheese Rolls
1 Packet onion soup warmed with 1 cup of water over low heat, add 2 packed cups grated cheese, ½ tsp paprika, ½-1 tsp curry powder.
Cut the 2 long crusts off bread and spread wrong side (lightly) with butter or margarine. Spread the cheese mix on the other side, roll up with the cheese mixture on the inside,place in plastic bag in fridge for 1hr then grill. They are really handy to keep in the freezer for last minute snacks.
Makes appx 2 loaves of bread.