Green salad recipe

pepsi24, Apr 4, 12:15pm
My green salad is so boring. I never know what to put in it so just end up with lettuce, tomato and avocado with pumpkin seeds or pine nuts. Can anyone give me something a little different. Thanks.

daisyk, Apr 4, 8:19pm
olives, orange segments, spring onion, basil, feta . . .

darlingmole, Apr 4, 8:22pm
my family loves the old style 70's salad . shredded iceberg lettuce, grated carrot'n'cheese, spring onions, quartered boiled eggs & tomatoes and a lovely mayo drizzled over.They won't eat mesculan no matter how I try to flash it up but WILL eat a home-made babyleaf salad . go figure (the fussy peeps!)

baalamb, Apr 4, 8:25pm
Nuts, parsley, red onion, corn kernels, cucumber, celery, capsicum, fresh asparagus, raw baby beans - as well as any/all of daisyk's suggestions.

jimmy2102, Apr 4, 9:36pm
I love rocket with walnuts and parmesan, sliced with my vege peeler, or rocket, pear, blue cheese and walnut. Can caramelise the pears, and toast the walnuts.

sarahb5, Apr 4, 9:40pm
If it's green salad aren't all the ingredients supposed to be green!Lettuce, cucumber, green capsicum, spring onion, avocado, watercress, sprouts, shaved zucchini, green apple .

davidt4, Apr 5, 12:41am
There shouldn't be any need to add bits and bobs to a green salad as long as you use fresh leaves and a really good quality oil and vinegar.If you don't grow your own lettuce try buying whole baby cos.The pre-packed leaves in plastic bags are tasteless.

Try avocado oil, macadamia oil or NZ extra virgin olive oil in your dressing.

buzzy110, Apr 5, 12:50am
Plus radish, raw beetroot and carrots (grated or sliced through a mandolin), watercress, cauliflower, snow peas, shredded basil and/or mint, young beetroot leaves, coriander, fancy lettuces - and the list goes on.

Technically it will no longer be a basic green salad but I make three of these a day, drizzled in virgin olive, avocado or nut oils with a dash of cod liver oil and tossed with celtic sea salt and they are supremo.

frances1266, Apr 5, 1:35am
Maybe if you change the dressing your salad may become more interesting.
I am inclined to stick with the same dressing until I get bored and find a new one livens the salad up no end.

vmax2, Apr 5, 1:46am
I'm enjoying a dressing made with yoghurt, apple cider vinegar and pepper and salt.Like frances1266 I get bored with a dressing and then change it.Last night I made a salad with a variety of lettuce, mint, parsley, green apple, and halloumi.It was yum.

ant_sonja, Apr 5, 2:24am
For a simple but delicious green leafy salad I use a mix of fresh young leaves, depending on what is at hand of course, but favorites are rocket, spinach, silver beet, butter, cos and romaine lettuce, mustard & celery leaves as well as loads of flat leave parsley. If available (Although not green ;-) I like adding raddiccio leaves for extra flavour and crunch as well as finely sliced onion rings) Chopped/torn herbs such as chives and dill are nice added to the dressing. I love using walnut oil and a cold pressed fruity olive oil, salt/pepper, maybe a pinch of sugar and either an apple cider vinegar or a red/white wine vinegar sometimes also mustard to taste.

elliehen, Apr 5, 4:21am
I always put rocket or watercress in mine because I like the peppery lift it gives to 'boring' old green.

princesskiwi, Apr 22, 9:28pm
Heres a nice baby spinach recipe:Baby spinach, toasted pine nuts, feta, sundried tomatos, avocado, bacon and red onion thinly sliced.Delish!

bluedog7, Apr 22, 10:31pm
Jimmy2102 I toast my walnuts and while in pan still hot I drizzle runny honey over them. let them cool they are sticky and crunch great for salads

jimmy2102, Apr 23, 2:23am
Great tip thanks bluedog, give us your pav recipe

rojin, Apr 23, 2:50am
Maybe some olives either whole, split or sliced and a small amount of lemon zest adds a bit of a bite to a green salad as well.