Can you substitute vanilla extract for essence

Page 3 / 3
mctavi, Apr 22, 8:44am
The first batch I made, I removed the feijoas from the skin (cut in half, scooped out).The jelly was amazing - extremely sweet.Tonight's batch I made, I kept the skin ON the feijoa.The jelly was phenomenal - and not quite as sweet! So, my pick, is the jelly made with the skin on.Has a very distinct feijoa taste and isn't as sweet, but still sweet enough.

davidt4, Apr 22, 10:03am
No, not at all.I make vanilla extract with vanilla beans and brandy;a small bottle crammed with vanilla beans then filled with brandy, just top up the brandy as it gets used.Any other spirit would do.

amm5, Apr 22, 11:38am
I scooped the feijoa out with a spoon, but left some skin in as well.so will give it a go with more skin on tomorrow.then I will try adding apple.Have to get some more jars.I could lover this,Next I will want crab apples,,,,when do they come into season!

elliehen, Apr 22, 11:58am
Soon.I love the deep red Jack Humm variety, especially glistening after rain.

bedazzledjewels, Apr 22, 7:26pm
Thanks DT4.

willyow, Apr 22, 8:25pm
No - you don't need the sugar.

willyow, Apr 22, 8:25pm
The alcohol extracts the flavour - it then preserves it.

willyow, Apr 22, 8:53pm
You can use any high alcohol bottle of spirits - brandy and rum especially -but vodka tends to be great because it is ethyl alcohol which is odourless and flavourless and thus doesn't effect the vanilla flavour. Thatt's whatmost people use to manufacture vanilla extract.If youare using the home-made extract in cakesor fruit-based products - brandy is also excellent asbrandy is also an excellent match with fruit flavours