Can you substitute vanilla extract for essence

Page 1 / 3
mctavi, Apr 20, 11:47pm
Successfully! Does it alter the taste, consistency etc! For feijoa vanilla jam.Thanks :-)

jimmy2102, Apr 20, 11:49pm
It would be better

mctavi, Apr 21, 12:17am
As in it would be better to substitute!

davidt4, Apr 21, 12:31am
Extract has a much better flavour than essence.

cookessentials, Apr 21, 3:46am
essence is a chemically concocted "flavouring" only and is never the same as an extract.

buzzy110, Apr 21, 4:05am
People have been using essence forever. It is only recently that it became important (apparently) to know the difference and if you are really snobby about your food, then essence just wouldn't even be in your home. I doubt that there will be much difference in flavour. The feijoa should be the dominant taste followed by an overpowering sweetness. Vanilla, real or otherwise, won't really be able to compete.

makespacenow, Apr 21, 4:48am
You can use vanilla paste or the beautiful vanilla bean.you will get much nicer jam as a result i would just leave out the horrible chemical favouring and if you don't have the natural nice stuff just make feijoa jam.
Rhubarb and vanilla is nice too.

makespacenow, Apr 21, 4:51am
By people you mean you.no most people that bake and make thing from scratch knew the difference before you woke up.some may not be able to afford it but that is a different matter.nothing nobly not wanting chemicals in my pantry food or feed that to my family.
Vanilla paste goes a ling way and when on special it is not that dear. Some people actually care what they put inside their bodies.

buzzy110, Apr 21, 5:37am
Lol. Saying that all NZers, except me, understood about vanilla doesn't make it true. Aunt Daisy and Edmond's, NZ's premier recipe books since forever, did not make the distinction. Their recipes always called for essence.

OP just wants to know if she can substitute essence for extract. I think she can. It doesn't mean I have to condone the practise.

You get self-righteous about toxins in vanilla. If I was allowed to preach, as you are doing to me, then vanilla would be the last thing on my mind. The large quantity of sugar in that recipe is more injurious to her health than a tiny amount of vanilla essence. If you really cared about what the poster put into her body then you would be preaching about the greater evil of sugar.

Instead you are carrying on about a tiny amount of vanilla.

cookessentials, Apr 21, 6:00am
For goodness sake.

mctavi, Apr 21, 6:16am
Thanks guys - all very interesting! For the record, I bought a bottle of extract to make my jelly (although vanilla paste is on special for about $8 at the moment at Countdown in case anyone is interested.).

buzzy110, Apr 21, 6:16am
So pedantic. Is it an error to assume that people on here can fill in the gaps. Unlike you I don't think that all posters are stupid or ignorant or they wouldn't even be able to understand even moderately simple fictional storylines. Try reading Jane Austen without filling in the gaps on mores and morals of her time.

buzzy110, Apr 21, 6:19am
I read this post in another board and think it applies very well here to those posters who think that it is important to continue their vendetta against another poster and forcing her to justify everything:

"It must be so tiring being a hater. Every day you have to remind yourself to hate the hated thing. I would run out of energy if I did that and besides my altzheimers kicks in and I do forget.
juli55 (311)4:28 pm, Thu 18 Nov #11"

cookessentials, Apr 21, 6:20am
That's a pretty good price mctavi. The extract is dearer the the essence, however, you will find it does make a cast difference in your jelly. Would love to try your recipe.feel free to share it if you would like to

4meows, Apr 21, 6:28am
Vanilla essence usually has tartrazine in it (colour additive E102).Don't feed to allergy sufferers.

cookessentials, Apr 21, 6:32am
Mmm, not good, especially for the really health concious. You cannot beat the taste of pure vanilla.

4meows, Apr 21, 6:36am
Agree!(I'm one of the really health concious!)

cookessentials, Apr 21, 6:41am
I think many people these days ( especially those that cook alot) like to know what they are putting in their recipes. As I said to the OP, it is dearer, but to be honest, you use far less and it is pure.

mctavi, Apr 21, 9:08am
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/lifestyle/news/article.cfm!c_id=6&objectid=10799746
Here ya go :-) Mine's just straining now. I didn't keep the feijoas in the skin though, I scooped it out.

cookessentials, Apr 21, 9:10am
Brilliant, thank you. I have the Herald here, so shall cut the recipe out.

mctavi, Apr 21, 9:56am
I've just made it - my first ever jelly. it's a beautiful amber color. can't wait to try it!

cookessentials, Apr 21, 10:19am
Well done, I await the results!

makespacenow, Apr 21, 2:22pm
If you recalled what you write to people then you would recall we had this discussion already.
I do not use sugar in my jams chutneys etc.all are sugar free or i use home grown stevia.
Not everyone is filling themselves with cap things like sugar and chemicals which by the way caste nothing like the real manila bean or paste even my 3y old can tell the difference.

makespacenow, Apr 21, 2:23pm
Yes Imo scooping them out is way better.

amm5, Apr 21, 7:14pm
I am going to make some today,I went out and purchase vanilla extract , just gotta finsinh a few things around the house, then I am on to it.And I have to remember to be patient and do not squeeze