Can you substitute vanilla extract for essence

Page 2 / 3
buzzy110, Apr 21, 9:35pm
I'm learning all about pendantry:

What is cap! Do you really belief people are filling themselves with 'cap'.

What do you do with caste! Manila bean or paste is not in my dictionary.

norse_westie, Apr 21, 9:37pm
Do you ever actually read what you post! Go back and read your first post objectively and see how bitchy it comes across. Seriously. As my grandmother always said: if you have nothing nice to say, then say nothing at all.

norse_westie, Apr 21, 9:39pm
OP your jam sounds delicious. Can you post the recipe, I think I'll have a go myself. I have a glut of feijoas and I'm at full capacity for feijoa liqueur, and have frozen more than I will ever need!

BTW I make my own vanilla extract - easy to do, and much much nicer than essence.

norse_westie, Apr 21, 9:40pm
Oops, sorry. Just saw the recipe thread immediately below this one!

mctavi, Apr 21, 9:45pm
Norse_westie: Husband has requested (very nicely!) if you could please share your feijoa liquer recipe! :-)

mctavi, Apr 21, 9:46pm
AMAZING! Had it on fruit toast this morning. was absolutely gorgeous! Making another lot today. am loving this jelly making business ha ha.

mctavi, Apr 21, 9:47pm
makespacenow wrote:
If you recalled what you write to people then you would recall we had this discussion already.
I do not use sugar in my jams chutneys etc.all are sugar free or i use home grown stevia.

Hi - can you please share your recipe for sugar-less jams/jellies! :-) Thanks!

mwood, Apr 21, 11:05pm
bussy110 interesting that you have Alzheimer's - I used to think I had that too but I lost it.

makespacenow, Apr 22, 12:32am
Search under the pectin recipe, I have described (if my baby brain is not failing me) about different amount of pectin in fruits.
I just use whatever fruit I have/is in season, and prepare it (sometimes big chunky bits, sometimes small, sometimes smooth puree as we like to have different kinds for different uses)
then I just make it in small batches (usually 1kg no more than 2kg - why! because after adding pectin it cooks fast sometimes as little as few minutes - less than 5 - so you preserve that nice fresh fruit flavour)
ie
1kg of strawberries, squeeze of lemon juice (use bit of citric acid if you don't have any fresh lemon juice, it is acidity regulator and also helps with colour) then required amount of pectin stock,
bring to boil, stirring turn down till it thickens
that's it.
You can add vanilla bean/paste, etc, you can play with fruit variations (rhubarb and vanilla is nice, apricot and passionfruit are kids fav atm, apricot and amarretto is my fav, feijoa is dh).
Have a look in the pectin stock recipe post .

makespacenow, Apr 22, 12:34am
neither is predictive spelling I see.
you are rude to many people in many posts, obviously having an iv in one arm and being sick, having a small screen device - oh someones brain must be too tiny to realise that.

willyow, Apr 22, 1:09am
The difference in flavour is huge -some of the one's now labelled 'natural'appear to be flavoured with vanillin extracted from woodpulpwhich tastes nothing like vanilla pod. This strategy seems to try to convince the consumer that it is real vanilla, but it tastes horrible.There's nothing snobby about seeking outwhat are truely great flavours - instead ofaccepting the second raterubbish concoctedby companiestreatingconsumers like suckers. And you don't have to use extract injams and preserves - you can usevanilla pod whichgreatly enhances the fruit flavours.

elliehen, Apr 22, 1:19am
I am already noticing the difference with the pure extract; previously I was using Hansell's 'Natural Vanilla Essence'.

cookessentials, Apr 22, 3:48am
Interesting comments from one poster in regards to using "essence" yet they bang on about the "crap" we put into our systems here on the recipe section! ( and of course, not knowing what ANY of us eat, but making sweeping generalisations) seems rather hypocritical to me.

cookessentials, Apr 22, 3:49am
Fabulous, I shall cut and keep as our feijoas are not ready yet down here.usually around June I think and we have a large tree hanging over our fence.

norse_westie, Apr 22, 3:53am
Last year I made four jars of it and got quite a bit. Its VERY strong and quite thick but not syrupy thick. Amazing to drink or add to champagne etc.

2/3 fill a clean jar with clean peeled sliced feijoas (not too ripe but not too unripe)
Add one cup of sugar
Fill jar with brandy or vodka (I used vodka).
Put lid on and stand on a window. Gently shake/invert each day till the sugar dissolves (about a week).
Store in a cool dark cupboard for 3 months, inverting gently every nowand then.
Remove fruit (and use for something else) and strain through muslin OR keep as is (small bits).

This year I have homebrew vodka to use (and will be making vanilla vodka also) and am making several litres of it.

elliehen, Apr 22, 3:53am
mctavi, your enthusiasm is persuading me to have another go.Maybe the addition of the vanilla extract will make the taste and colour difference my old plain one needs.

mctavi, Apr 22, 4:20am
Elliehen - it's so amazing, I'm making a second batch tonight :-) This jam making is VERY exciting ha ha.Bring on the next lot of fruit!

jcsolgier, Apr 22, 5:34am
OMG are you serious! Back to the good old, tried and true MB attitude of:
"I have no valid argument to make, so now I will criticize your spelling."
Makes you look SO grown up, mature and clearly more right then the other person.
It is OK to admit that you were nasty, apologize and move on.

cookessentials, Apr 22, 6:54am
Mmm, that sounds delicious. I love feijoas.

bedazzledjewels, Apr 22, 6:58am
Any chance of a recipe please!

amm5, Apr 22, 7:00am
Well ignoring all the unhelpful parts of this thread,lol,I MADE MY FIRST BATCH OF FEIJOA AND VANILLA JELLY, IT IS IN THE JARS NOW,,,,and I aldready know it will set, c asue a little left in the ladle has already set nicely, so cannot wait to try it tomorrow.Yummy

If it is as nice as I think it will be, I will make another couple of batches, and I will look at making a batch of feijoa and apple jelly

elliehen, Apr 22, 7:05am
"Make Your Own Vanilla Extract

Chop up 2 vanilla pods
Add them to a cup (200ml) vodka or brandy
Add 2 teaspoons sugar

Seal in an airtight jar in a dark place - shake every day or two.After a month it's ready to use. You can keep adding a little more alcohol as the bottle goes down for quite some time.There's a huge amount of vanilla flavour in vanilla beans and it keeps coming out into the acohol for a very long time."

Source: Trade Me member willyow

amm5, Apr 22, 7:09am
Well that is me out, as I cannot drink Alcohol, lol

bedazzledjewels, Apr 22, 7:21am
Is the sugar vital, do you think Ellie!
I suppose you only use a small amount at a time so it wouldn't really be a problem.
Thanks for that.

elliehen, Apr 22, 7:26am
I don't know, although as you suggest, since you're using only half to one teaspoon of extract at a time, the sugar content would be infinitesimal.