Okay, my 80yr old meat & 3 veg hubby will now eat

Page 2 / 2
nutwrencher, Apr 16, 9:11am
Hi.
Sorry to drop in but that recipe you are talking about cookessentialssounds yummy.
If not a prob would love it :)

kuaka, Apr 16, 9:12am
Well tonight we had fresh snapper for tea as we finally managed to get out fishing, and we have enough for tomorrow's tea too, but then I'm thinking risotto or !

sumstyle, Apr 16, 9:58am
I've had this risotto recipe sitting on my laptop screen this week, waiting to try it - maybe Your household could be my guinea pigs, kuaka!!

Chicken and Pumpkin Baked Risotto

An easy ,no stir risotto from Donna Hay. Submitted by bronnie from Australia.
serves 4prep 10 minscook 45 mins
700g pumpkin
5 cups chicken stock
60g butter
2 cups arborio rice
¼ cups flat-leaf parsley
½ cups parmesan cheese, grated
300g chicken, cooked and cubed
sea salt and cracked pepper

1. Place the pumpkin, stock, butter and rice in a deep caserole dish and cover with lid or foil.
2. Bake at 190°C for about 30 min then stir and cook another 15 min until all the stock is absorbed.
3. When risotto has finished baking stir through parsley, parmesan, chicken and season to taste.

Note: is also delicious with sliced mushrooms, just leave out some pumpkin and replace with mushrooms.

kuaka, Apr 16, 10:19am
Sounds yummy, but I'll leave out the mushrooms (hubby can't wear his dentures since he's got shingles which has affected one side of his face and inside his mouth and he says mushrooms - and pasta - are the worst things to try to eat with bare gums - he says they are impossible to "crush" as they just slip and slide round and round his mouth!Without teeth apparently it's pretty hard to "chew" things)

nik12, Apr 16, 10:37am
Allyson Hoylts self crusting quiche could also be a go. it does have potatoes lol.
I do it very roughly now, so not quite sure of the actual recipe!
A few potato's cubed and cooked, a small pot of silver beet cooked.
Fry up a onion in a bit of butter (if I'm adding bacon I add it now).
Let the cooked stuff cool a bit.
Beat lightly 3 or 4 eggs (just depends how much spuds and how big your dish!!), add a splash of milk.
Add 1/2 C flour and 1t baking powder to 1/2 - 1 C grated cheese (depends how much cheese you want to use), stir.
Add cheese/flour to the egg and mix gentally, add the vege's, tip into quiche dish, or any other oven proof dish and cook at 180C 'till it's cooked. 45mins for an average quiche dish.Stick a fork in, if it's solid it's done.
I also use left over roast vege's, broccalli, chicken, mushrooms. just depends what I've got in the fridge.
If the mix looks a bit dry before you put in dish, add another egg or two, it doesn't matter if it's not mixed right through

donnabeth, Apr 16, 10:55am
Well, there's hope for my husband yet! I hope I don't have to wait another 30 years for it to happen, but something tells me he's going to hang in there with his meat and potatoes. rice, pasta and grains don't pass his lips unless I do a sneaky and hide it in the rissoles.

Kuaka, it's so good to see you making a nice and tasty variety of foods. If he likes the flavour of mushrooms, they can be 'wizzed' up with a sick mixer and added to a sauce-all the flavour and none of the texture.

cookessentials, Apr 16, 9:34pm
Good morning kuaka, here is the vegetable bake recipe. I found it on another thread from way back so have copy and pasted it here for you.
I donbt usually measure the amount of vege, i just do enough to fit into the square Pyrex dish I have. You want a reasonably deep dish however.

Vegetable Sour Cream Bake
2 kumara, peeled and sliced
pumpkin, skinned and cut into cubes
4 leaves silverbeet, washed and sliced
2 courgettes, grated
1 large onion, sliced
75 grams feta cheese, cut into small cubes
½ cup water
1 teaspoons herb or chicken stock
2 teaspoons cornflour
1 tablespoon sour cream
ground black pepper
25 grams grated tasty cheddar cheese

Pre-heat oven to 210 C.
Boil or steam the kumara and pumpkin until almost tender. Remove from pot and put to one side.
Place the silverbeet and courgettes in the steamer and cook a further 5 minutes.
Heat a little water in a non-stick pan and sauté the onion until tender. Remove from the heat and stir in the feta cheese.
Lightly grease an oven-proof dish and layer the buttercup, feta and onion mixture, silverbeet and courgettes and finish with the kumara slices.
Mix together the water, stock, cornflour, sour cream, and pepper. Pour over the vegetable layers.
Sprinkle the top with the grated cheddar cheese.
Bake at 210 C for 30 minutes.
I dont do level sponfuls for any of the measurements, usually heaped. If you have no courgettes, dont worry, I often just do it with silverbeet

sumstyle, Apr 17, 1:08am
mmm well I just made that risotto recipe I posted and it makes an enormous quantity.It's rich what with the butter, stock and cheese - and then with all the rice.needs something else to lift it in my opinion.

kuaka, Apr 17, 11:12am
cookessentials - thanks for that.I'm sure I can tweak it a bit with some guesswork and using what i have available to make something tasty.Be interesting to see what his nibbs thinks of it.We've got smoked fish tomorrow and maybe the next night, so might give it a go Thursday or Friday.

Sumstyle - haven't tried that one yet, as we went fishing and had fresh snapper yesterday and today, smoked fish tomorrow.Just looking at the recipe, maybe it needs some capsicum or something, I'd definitely use onions and probably garlic or !

chrissie91, Apr 18, 10:33am
What a lovely thread. I can relate to some of the things posted up here,, bought a smile to my face which has been a downcast day. Thank you posters.

punkinthefirst, Apr 18, 11:17am
Kuaka, I can recommend Alison and Simon Holst's "Meals Without Meat". Lots of tasty vegetarian meal ideas for all occasions. I enjoy meat based meals, too, but have reduced their number now that I no longer grow my own.

kuaka, Apr 18, 8:03pm
punkinthefirst - thanks for that suggestion, I will check it out at the library.

griffo4, Apr 19, 1:46am
Kuaka l am not sure if this is useful but thought l would post as it is really nice and you could change some of the ingredients to suit
lt reads like a marathon but it isn't that bad,lol

Spinach & Ricotta Lasagne with Pine kernels

well buttered 9" x 9" dish

Sauce
900mls milk
50g butter
50g flour
1 bay leaf
63g parmesan
salt and pepper

Place milk, butter, flour & bay leaf together in a pot
Give it a good seasoning then over a medium heat whisk the mix continually until it comes to simmering point & has thickened
Turn heat to low & cook gently for 2 minutes then stir in 50g parmesan, remove the bay leaf & put gladwrap over surface of sauce & set aside

Spinach
600g spinach
250g ricotta
150mls sauce from above
1 leek
200g Gorgonzola or blue cheese
1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg

Remove spinach stalks, discard them & wash leaves thoroughly, shake dry, or use frozen
Put knob of butter in large pan, pile in spinach & leeks, sprinkle with salt on medium heat with lid on, cook for 2 minutes, turn leaves halfway through
Put in colander to drain & when cool enough squeeze to get rid of last drop of liquid then chop finely & put in bowl
Add ricotta, 150mls of sauce, salt & pepper, nutmeg and crumbled blue cheese, mix together well
Put pine nuts into dry fry pan & cook on medium heat for about 1 minute tossing them around to stop burning
Remove from pan, set aside

Assemble lasagne

200g mozzarella, coarsely grated
lasagne sheets

Spread 1/4 sauce into bottom of dish then 1/3 of spinach mix, followed by 1/3 pine kernels
Place sheet of lasagne on top then sauce, spinach, pine nuts & 1/3 mozzarella, then lasagne then rest of sauce & remaining parmesan & mozzarella
Bake in middle of oven 180C for 50-60 minutes
Remove from oven and let it rest for 10 minutes

kuaka, Apr 19, 1:49am
thanks griffo - and I've just ordered three veg cookbooks from the library.Probably only have to wait a day or two for them, so I'm going to be having a really good look through them and hopefully having some nice veg meals.

zellas, Apr 20, 4:09am
If the risooto concpet is working for you, you could try making it with pearl barley instead of rice! It takes quite a bit longer to cook than but doesn’t require much stirring ; you can cover the pot and leave it to its own devices for 10 minutes or so.Lovely texture and nutty flavour.

sumstyle, Apr 21, 1:59am
Kuaka, this is one of the very first vegetarian recipes I tried and it is a real favourite with me - fast, easy and yummy.During winter I make it1 - 2 times a fortnight.

Potato and Pumpkin Curry
1 T oil
1 onion finely chopped
1 T red curry paste
1 kg potatoes, peeled
.5 kg pumpkin, chopped and skinned
400 ml can coconut cream
OR one can of low fat evapourated milk and a teaspoon of coconut essence to keep the recipe low fat
1 c chicken stock

non-essentials (I don't use any of this)
.5 c non fat plain yoghurt
.25 c toasted almonds
.25 c chopped coriander

Cook onion in oil until soft, but not browned.Add curry paste and cook for one minute.Cut the potatoes into 2 cm pieces and add to the pot with the coconut cream and chicken stock.Stir, cover and simmer gently for 10 minutes.Cut the pumpkin into cubes and add to the pan.cover and continue to cook until the veges are tender.

Add the extras if you want.Serve with crispy pomppadums.

If you have never used curry paste before, I warn you, it smells vile when you put it in the pot, but doesn't taste like it smells!

frances1266, Apr 21, 2:52am
That curry sounds really nice.Some spinach added will boost the nutrition a little.

motorbo, Apr 21, 2:55am
kuaka, not sure if anyone hasd suggested Alison and Simon Holists books, i would say you would find alot of good ideas there, and also you can make mostly vege dishes, e.g the other night i did mince with more veges than meat and had it with rice

sumstyle, Apr 21, 5:33am
True - good point, frances1266.

kuaka, Apr 21, 8:35am
Well last night we had a "veg" curry and apart from the fact that I had somehow managed to buy the mild curry powder last time instead of the hot one, so it didn't really taste of curry (and I couldn't seem to find anything in the pantry to zing it up) he complained that the carrots weren't cooked enough, which was quite funny as I hadn't put any carrots in it!Other than that, he seemed to enjoy it more than I did (wasn't hot enough for me).

sumstyle, Apr 21, 8:44am
You could always shake some hot sauce over your portion to make it more firey.

kuaka, Apr 21, 9:05am
sumstyle, I must be honest, I never even thought about that.I must be well overdue for a holiday!It wasn't really hot enough for either of us, but I like mine hotter than he does, so he didn't mind it being a bit bland.He always says it's better to be "not hot enough" than to be "too hot".

campmum, Apr 21, 7:19pm
Thai Pumpkin soup - Annabelle Langbein
This is my fave.easy & delicious.
Not into really hot chilli soI chopped in 1/2 green chilli to taste.yummy!
http://www.annabel-langbein.com/cooking/recipes/recipe/!id=181&page=1

frances1266, Apr 21, 7:43pm
Will bump up the easy and tasty vegetarian thread, heaps of great recipes there.