Cardamon seeds

zuggle, Apr 9, 6:17am
When they say "crush" them do they literally mean leave it at that! Wouldn't the husks remain hard! Surely they mean crush them AND extricate the wee round seeds inside!

buzzy110, Apr 9, 6:36am
Crush it and add it all into the mix. It is easy enough to delicately remove the husk when you are eating it if you don't want to swallow it. Cardamon is my favourite spice.

poppy62, Apr 9, 6:38am
Mmm - its my favourite spice too.I just crush them and put them into whatever I am adding them too and as Buzzy said, juts remove the pods as im eating them.

zuggle, Apr 9, 6:42am
Okay. Thanks everyone. I know it sounded dumb but I had to ask. I put the whole anise flower into the curry (Malay) so could have done with the cardamon. Live and learn.

lilyfield, Apr 9, 7:01am
I just swallow all, love the seeds in my bread

cookessentials, Apr 9, 7:06am
Cardamom are quite large pods. I buy them with the outer husk already removed. I just crush them with mortar and pestle.

norse_westie, Apr 9, 7:18am
I've been doing this since its so darn hard to find it in the supermarket spice aisle. I use a lot of it.

cookessentials, Apr 9, 7:28am
Yes, I buy them in a large bag from Moore Wilson.

staed_41, Apr 9, 7:53am
Crush cardamom means extracate the seeds from the shell and crush them. Otherwise, it would be like having crushed peanuts including the shells! In Indian cooking, the seeds are removed from the shell and crushed in a mortar and pestal or similar. Just saying.

cookessentials, Apr 9, 8:03am
Yep, that's how I buy mine and how I process.

staed_41, Apr 9, 9:12am
You're on the money

deus701, Apr 9, 9:28am
are you making rendang!

buzzy110, Apr 9, 9:05pm
I will be sure to tell that to the chef at my favourite Indian restaurant. He'll be delighted to know how to do it properly in future.

staed_41, Apr 10, 1:49am
I'm sure you will.

taurus2005, Apr 10, 4:38am
Remove the outer husks and crush the seeds.The husks can be added to your tea for a lovely flavour, remove before drinking.