Getting the kids to eat their crusts:

Page 2 / 4
davidt4, Apr 1, 2:05am
It doesn't really make any difference if the bread is white, brown or grey, crusty or flabby.It's still wheat and in my opinion not a healthy food at all.

roshu, Apr 1, 4:48am
There's so much more to life than whether kids eat their crusts. Chill.

rainrain1, Apr 1, 5:30am
so who is going to die first, the one who eats the bread or the one that doesn't!

bedazzledjewels, Apr 1, 5:34am
+1 DT4 - but more of a concern is that OP mentions using marg or a spread - please use butter.

buzzy110, Apr 1, 5:39am
That's easy. The one who doesn't.

buzzy110, Apr 1, 5:42am
kinna. Yours is a great suggestion and one that any mother who stumbles in here reads, would do well to take notice of if she feeds her children bread.

duckmoon, Apr 1, 5:42am
for a while, i cut off two crusts and left two.
and told the children that they needed to be eaten.

I think that kids meet your expectations. If you expect them to eat them, they will.
If not, they don't.

duckmoon, Apr 1, 5:43am
which I don't mind. I don't like crusty bread.

rainrain1, Apr 1, 5:55am
trademe laugh of the week

duckmoon, Apr 1, 6:01am
because kids I know either eat 4 sandwiches without crusts. or two sandwiches with crusts.

it isn't sandwiches which are making them fat

duckmoon, Apr 1, 6:03am
also, if the centre doesn't insist of kids eating crusts, they could drop their food costs (i assume they are supplying the food), by cutting off the crusts. an adult cutting off crusts will cut off less bread than a child wastes by eating near to the crust, but will still leave some bread there

gardie, Apr 1, 6:35pm
I find that children eat more of the sandwich if the crusts are cut off than if they take them off themselves.If I have parents struggling to get their children to eat crust, I suggest finely removing them for a few weeks and gradually start leaving a little more of the crust on, one side at a time.This worked well when my children were little and we never looked back.

cookessentials, Apr 1, 9:31pm
There are a number that ASSUME that all mothers feed their children white bread. They also ASSUME that all mothers dont make their own bread. In fact, they assume quite alot then open mouths before putting brains in gear.Crusts can be a little dry, so perhaps just cut them off and use them up as croutons for winter soups. Just dice them and free flow them and bag into serving sizes and freeze for later use.

sarahb5, Apr 1, 10:28pm
I do so it's probably a good thing we can't get it here or I would eat even more bread!

sarahb5, Apr 1, 10:32pm
My kids are pretty much doomed according to most people on here anyway so the fact that they do choose to eat white bread when offered the choice and that I don't make bread at home is neither here nor there really .I prefer that they at least eat something for lunch at school so I do buy white sliced bread (Ploughmans or Freyas) rather than only buying bread they don't like and them not eating any lunch - they do eat the crusts though!

purplegoanna, Apr 1, 11:25pm
as an adult i still dont eat crusts.

vintagekitty, Apr 1, 11:51pm
OMG white bread, oh no, quick call CYF stat. Bad, bad, bad, bad parents

vintagekitty, Apr 1, 11:53pm
I know!, funny eh

elliehen, Apr 2, 12:07am
They'll be well supported by the Bread Police Swat Team, who arrived in swarms soon after the first post!

BTW kinna, good idea!I do the same with my asparagus rolls to coax the adults to eat their crusts and 'waste not, want not' ;)

datoofairy, Apr 2, 12:09am
You never miss an opportunity to be holier than thou, do you.
I really dont understand why even live here, given that our food is so appalling to you.

uli, Apr 2, 12:55am
I love NZ food: feijoas, persimmons, mussels, lovely fresh milk from grass fed animals and all the good cheese one can make from it, fresh fish, grass fed beef, lamb and goat and free range pork, casimiroas and cherimoyas in the middle of what here called "winter". Being able to harvest food from the garden and trees every month of the year: currently chestnuts, soon macadamias and then tamarillos and casanas, citrus all winter and spring until the berries are ripe. Wild animals for free: possums, rabbits, hare, goats, venison even, ducks. Honey fresh from the hive. who says that NZ food must be "appalling"! Mine certainly isn't :)

elliehen, Apr 2, 1:00am
Them why not talk about these positives more instead of harping on about the choices of others that you disapprove of!

If you do that, you might attract positive comment back instead of so many understandably negative reactions from thoughtful posters like datoofairy.

datoofairy, Apr 2, 1:02am
I was referring to your habit of popping into the majority of posts to add nothing but negative remarks about what other people choose to eat.
You are the #1 reason I, and several others I personally know of, rarely bother to post in Recipes.You are so judgemental.
Yes, we get you only like free range, organic, super healthy everything, but not everyone else does and many of us dont appreciate you making snide comments at everything that doesnt fit your anally strict criteria.
And yes, we understand that absolutely everything is mega superior in Europe.
The vast majority of times, your posts have nothing to do with what the OP even posted about, you just cant help yourself from putting down anything you consider unhealthy or inferior.
Not everyone can afford to eat the way you do, or even wants to. How others choose to eat and feed their kids is their business and most people dont need your holier-than-thou input.
You arent the only one that does this, but you are by far the worst.

beki07, Apr 2, 1:46am
Great idea. I don't have kids but do baby sit and that will solve it. I hate wasting food

datoofairy, Apr 2, 1:48am
I used to always cut the crusts off my daughters sandwiches.But I would freeze the crusts and use them to make bread crumbs, so they still got eaten in the long run.