Getting the kids to eat their crusts:

Page 1 / 4
kinna54, Mar 31, 2:32am
Observing tinies eating sandwiches at daycare the other day, and watched all the crusts going into the bin.
Most kids tend to always eat the middle out of a sandwich only.
Hence a suggestion:
Instead of a sandwich, just layer the slice of bread with the filling of choice and roll diagonally from corner to corner as you if you were making an asparagus roll etc, and stick the overlapping edge underneath with a small dot of marg or spreadto seal the edge so it doesn't unfold.
The child will happily chomp thru the roll, crusts and all.

olwen, Mar 31, 3:09am
Everybody knows the crusts make your hair curl

pickles7, Mar 31, 3:29am
cut the crusts off.

uli, Mar 31, 6:31am
Calling that soft brown outer of a white loaf a "crust" .
Don't ever take your kids to Europe where bread is actually crusty :)

sarahb5, Mar 31, 9:33am
For once I have to agree with you uli - rare I know but I really do miss crusty bread .My mum is here visiting at the moment and I had to take her to two different supermarkets and a bakery before she believed that we just don't get crusty bread here - even baguettes aren't crusty!

kuaka, Mar 31, 10:29am
I have to tell you it didn't work for me.It was drummed into me when I was a kid that I would have to eat my crusts if I wanted my hair to curl, and 60 years on, my hair is still "as straight as a yard of pump water" as my poor old Mum used to describe it.

marcs, Mar 31, 11:45am
In my house it makes you hair grow and makes you strong.

rainrain1, Mar 31, 8:22pm
the crusty crumb of the bakers roll

whitehead., Mar 31, 8:27pm
thenwhat do you do with the crusts it seems a waste of bread to me

kay141, Mar 31, 8:30pm
It must be so hard for you to stay here when so many things are much better in Europe.
I have no problem buying crusty bread but it is not the mass produced stuff. I get it from the bakery at the supermarket and some bakeries. Never sliced and done up in plastic.

pickles7, Mar 31, 8:54pm
Throw them to the birds.
They may eat the rest of the sandwich rather than a bite from the middle.
My kids took filled rolls to school, ate them all.

uli, Mar 31, 9:31pm
Bread crusts are not a problem to me - I hardly eat any bread and if I do - then I bake it myself. Where did I say that "so many things are much better in Europe"!

gilligee, Mar 31, 9:38pm
Lots of things ARE better in Europe.

artemis, Mar 31, 9:42pm
If cutting off crusts at home, try a quick oil spritz and bake themin a low oven till crisp. Serve to kids with hummus.

pickles7, Mar 31, 9:44pm
foot in mouth.kay141.

kay141, Mar 31, 10:13pm
Umm, that's what I said.

rainrain1, Mar 31, 11:48pm
Rather than waste crusts, cut them off before you butter the bread, dice into small squares,then add herb or chicken dry stock, or mixed dry herbs,(or both) coat with oil, bake moderate oven and make your own croutons.Kids might eat them that way if you can find a flavour they like. eg tomato sauce might work.They would be also good in lunchboxes as they are nice to nibble on.

lythande1, Mar 31, 11:49pm
Why make them! Too many fat kids now.

rainrain1, Mar 31, 11:51pm
you have fat kids!

uli, Mar 31, 11:54pm
If the kids won't eat the bread, why not give them something without bread!

vmax2, Apr 1, 12:03am
I was thinking exactly that too.Then you won't have the problem of bread clogging up the bowels, especially that horrible white stuff mothers tend to give their children and what I did too before I learnt about other stuff.

kinna54, Apr 1, 12:18am
The kids DO eat the bread. just not the crusts as in OP. At the centre I was visiting they were all sat down and their lunches were sorted and they had to eat the healthy food first.which was mostly sandwiches.
I offered a solution and suggestionwhich DOES work. and is so easy for busy mums.
I will also add how impressed I was at the wonderful variety of food that the kids DO get.

uli, Apr 1, 12:36am
kinna54 - I will not disagree with what you have posted. And I am sure most mothers here will agree with you and happily roll instead of layer the bread.

For myself though a sandwich (or your solution - a rolled up piece of white bread) is not "the healthy food" that small kids should be eating.

rainrain1, Apr 1, 1:41am
ps.these are really yummy!

kinna54, Apr 1, 1:56am
Um .at what point did I ever mention white bread.
The kids all eat a healthy range of bread from molenberg, to vogels,freyas, bergen, and home made wholemeal bread, just because I mentioned a "slice" of bread it was assumed it was white.!
Anyway as the original post says.it is a suggestion to try.