Cookie dough recipes to use with cookie cutters

littlemissy1, Apr 7, 6:17am
Does anyone have any good recipes for cookie dough to use with cookie cutters! I have some fantastic cutter sets and id love to get in the kitchen with my nieces and go nuts :)

elsielaurie1, Apr 7, 8:35am
I don't know if this is what you are looking for but it makes a nice crunchy biscuit.good luck

Honey and spice biscuits

Makes: 30 - 35

60g (2oz) butter
3 level tbsp honey
250g (8oz) plain flour
½ level tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 level tsp mixed spice
60g (2oz) caster sugar
1 medium egg, beaten

You'll also need:
4cm (1½in) flower-shaped biscuit cutter
Baking sheets, buttered

1. Set the oven to 180°C or gas mark 4.
2. Melt the butter and syrup in a pan. Sift together flour, bicarbonate of soda and mixed spice, and add to warmed mixture. Stir in the sugar and egg and mix well.
3. Knead mixture lightly until it's no longer sticky. Roll out thinly on a floured surface and cut out flower shapes, using the cutter, and pattern the surface with the prongs of a fork.
4. Place on to buttered baking sheets and bake just above the centre of the oven for 12-15 mins. Cool slightly before transferring them to wire racks. (The biscuits firm up as they cool.)
5. To make the filling: Beat together the royal icing mix, lemon rind and juice, and glycerine, for about 5-6 mins.
6. Spoon one teaspoon of filling on to a biscuit and spread out to the edges. Place another biscuit on top. Repeat for the remaining biscuits. Leave to set.

littlemissy1, Apr 7, 8:38am
Thank you so much elsie, they sound so yummy! Im not sure what im looking for either but these might just do the trick. I have looked online but i was hoping someone might have some first hand experience they could share. Im adventurous so will give them a go, thanks again!

elsielaurie1, Apr 7, 8:56am
You're welcome.a tip from someone who's been there, done that. I found it sooooo much easier to cut baking paper into the approx size of the biscuit. Then take a piece of baking dough and roll it out between 2 pieces of the baking paper. Remove the top piece and cut the biscuit sape out on the remianing piece.So much easier. The dough doesn't stick to the rolling pin and once the shape has been cut, simply lift the baking paper off the bench and onto the baking tray. Saves a lot of frustration when trying to 'lever' the cut shapes off the work-bench and transfer them to the tray.good luck.

bridget107, Apr 7, 9:14am

littlemissy1, Apr 7, 9:23am
Ooh thanks for the tips, im going to have a few practice runs before doing them with the girls so hopefully i will have it sorted by then. Then we can have fun decorating them, actually really looking forward to that part!

littlemissy1, Apr 7, 9:25am
Yum.can they be used for cookie cutters though! Looks like a good recipe so i will make them anyways, thanks bridget :)

olwen, Apr 7, 10:39am
That's very like a recipe I've made from Edmonds.

bridget107, Apr 8, 1:49am
They do spread a little bit. They are well worth making though. I do have a lemon biscuit recipe which is perfect for cookie cutters here, if interested! http://aftertasteblog.wordpress.com/2011/10/19/old-fashioned-lemony-shortbread/ The kids will have heaps of fun decorating them. You can keep them as is or sandwich them with another biscuit and lemon filling.

littlemissy1, Apr 8, 5:08am
Thanks bridget, they look so yummy, love the little flicks of rind in them! Have c/p that recipes to my collection, will definitely be one i make very soon :)

elliehen, Apr 8, 8:42am
I gave up on cookie cutters after little helpers grew past helping.Now I roll the dough into logs, chill and slice.Not quite as pretty, but no frustration ;)