Quince paste in slow cooker

bev00, Jan 16, 10:08am
malcovy wrote:

Last year I cooked quinces in my slow cooker and when they were softened I let them cool down and then peeled them. I weighed the flesh and pureed and then added equal amount of sugar. I cleaned out slow cooker and put in quince and sugar and then cooked the mixture till a beautiful peach colour, I don't remember how long for though. I then put quince paste into pottles and froze it. The frozen quince spoons out so easily and I had some last night with HM icecream, low carb be damned :-)
The quinces were placed around the slow cooker bowl and 1/2 covered with warm water.

Thanks so much for sharing this recipe, love the idea of doing it all in the slow cooker :)

Quoteted. (133 )12:10 pm, Mon 16 Jan #4
Just in case you are still looking for a recipe.
This is the fabulous recipe for Quince Jelly and requires no straining in muslin

6 large quinces
3 litres water
2kg sugar
juice of 2 lemons

Wash and wipe quinces and remove any blemishes with a sharp knife, leaving the quinces whole. Put in large saucepan with other ingredients and slowly bring to the boil. Boil until jelly is rosy coloured and will set when tested (about 21/2 hours). Remove whole quinces and bottle jelly.

My grandmother taught me this recipe - it is so easy

Sorry - that is (about 2 1/2 hours)

Quotesupamom (170 )7:37 pm, Mon 16 Jan #6
There is an easy microwave recipe for Quince Paste I will try to find for you.

I have made it the slow way and emerged with burns and quince-spattered forearms as the mixture slowly reduces while you stir.

Edited to add:

nanasee1 wrote:

I had 1.5 kg of quince, six small ones. I quartered them and added 1/2 c water & juice of two lemons & cooked them on high until softened. I then removed the cores & skin, much easier to do when they have softened. I put the remaining pulp into my blender then through a sieve. I measured 1 cup of sugar to one cup of pulp. I found 800ml of the mix cooked well in my 2 litre jug, about 20 minutes on high stirring regularly. It turns to a lovely ruby colour & set really quickly without additional drying in the oven. Best of all no splatters on the walls or me!

This is the one!

Quoteelliehen (3961 )8:03 pm, Mon 16 Jan #7

lynja, Mar 30, 6:42am
has anyone done this! If so would they please post step by step instructions. I have done a google search and see that it can be done but there seem to be various ideas and different steps. Would love to hear from anyone who has done it successfully.

bev00, Mar 30, 9:38am
Have done so with great success.
First i baked the whole quinces in the oven until soft (about an hr)
Let cool then peel & core and sieve.
Add same weight of sugar and a little water and cook on high in slow cooker.Need to give a stir every now and then.
Will post measurements, times etc tomorrow.

snipz, Mar 30, 6:18pm
I make it each year.I just wash the quince, give them agoos scrub with a rough cloth to get the skin smooth ish, cut out any brown marks or blemishes.
I put the in the Cpot whole with a little water in the bottom.Leave it on low for 6 hours or so.When they are soft and cooked through, I just turn it off and leave then to cool.
once they are coolI take the skin off and cores out.Pulverise the flesh with a stick whizz , then for each cup of flesh I cup of sugar and back in the crock on HIGH. You do need to stir in now and again and it does take a few hours.Once I can draw the spoon through it and the line stays there I pour it into a baking paper lined Tupperware container and leave to cool.
When it is set I cut it into squares, wrap in baking paper and store in a container which I keep in the fridge.It lasts for ever and is delicious with blue cheese and crackers.

lynja, Mar 30, 7:13pm
Thank you so much snipz, and also bev00 (in anticipation of your recipe too)

lynja, Mar 31, 5:40am
Snipz, I have made the paste and it looks great. Thanks for your very clear instructions, times etc. so easy to do.

bev00, Mar 31, 7:40am
Pleased you had success with the quince paste.
My method reqd a bit of experimenting but is similar to the one you tried.
4 med quinces roasted in oven. When cool peel, quarter and core.
Then blend with 1/4 cp water.
Good idea to also force thru a sieve that is if a clear end product is desired.
Measure and add equivalant amount of sugar. Stir till dissolved in crockpot and add 3 Tbs lemon juice.
Cook on high 1&1/2 hrs approx, stirring occasionallyuntil very thick and deep ruby red

cookiebarrel, Apr 1, 10:25am
We have a big quince tree at our local cemetery that is always laden with fruit.Just wish I felt right about harvesting some of the fruit.I love quince jelly!Will really have to plant one in the backyard.

245sam, Apr 2, 9:08pm
wineo, I can't answer you from personal experience but based on the info from Carolyn on the following link, the answer to your question, I believe, would be 'yes' you could use the pulp to make quince paste.

http://www.foodlovers.co.nz/forum/read.php!3,20818,20818#msg-20818

Hope that helps.:-))

wineo, Apr 2, 9:37pm
I have just made quince jelly, can i still use the pulp to make quince paste or has the goodness/flavour been leached into the water I cooked it in

245sam, Apr 2, 10:08pm
wineo, I can't answer you from personal experience but based on the info from Carolyn on the following link, the answer to your question, I believe, would be 'yes' you could use the pulp to make quince paste.

http://www.foodlovers.co.nz/forum/read.php!3,20818,20818#msg-20818

Hope that helps.:-))

wineo, Apr 2, 10:12pm
Thanks, seems such a waste to throw it away