Soup mix - Do you make your own ?

supercook, Mar 1, 12:27am
It's so cold in Christchurch today so I have a packet of Kings minestrone soup mix so I am making that. But do you make your own soup mix!
What do you put in it!

purplegoanna, Mar 1, 12:30am
yip tbh ive never added a kings mix, mine are made up from broths with veges added and either a little rice, egg noodle to add some carbs.

twindizzy, Mar 1, 12:34am
I use Kings as a base, add some form of pasta, veges, bacon, chorizo and chillies.

elliehen, Mar 1, 12:51am
I buy barley, split peas, brown and red lentils separately and always have them on hand in winter as the basis for a hearty soup.

uli, Mar 1, 12:56am
I cook shin bones or chicken bones, get the meat off and then add any vege I have. Usually carrots, celery, parsley, lovage, leeks, parsnip and some potatoes and/or pumpkin for some carbs.

kinna54, Mar 1, 1:13am
I have used the king mix, but don't like the artificial stocky flavour that it has, it is often packed with a stock coating the mix.I would rinse that off before cooking if I used it again.
Normally I make my own mix, and select my ingredients from the bulk bin, (prefer New World's selection). I always include a good quantity of barley, yellow and green split peas,(well soaked before use), assorted lentils in lesser quantities, and New world even have the alphabet letters if desired. I prefer bacon hock or bones, for the stock and base meat, but always shop around as they are getting expensive.

davidt4, Mar 1, 2:10am
I've never used packaged soup mix and I think it's an odd concept.There are all kinds of soups that you can make, all of them with different ingredients, and I don't see the need for a generic "soup mix" , especially if it contains artificial flavourings as mention by kinna54.

Would the original poster like a recipe for Minestrone !

cgvl, Mar 1, 3:51am
I buy one called soup mix which is just a mix of lentils, split peas, pearl barley and alphabets. I then add pasta, vegies and bones (eg chicken, beef, ham/pork/bacon) to it along with some seasoning and herbs.
We like ours thick and not too chunky so I tend grate most of the vege to get a thicker consistency.
I do buy from time to time the King's and another which was called Stockpot but do add extra vege and sometimes seasoning to it.
My basic winter quickie/standby is cream of pumpkin: boil pumpkin and onion together in a little water. mash and add seasonings and milk to give consistency you would like. takes no more than 20mins from start to table.

makespacenow, Mar 1, 4:06am
no never use stuff like that.
make own soups. Come from a place where we have soups daily sort of a starter.now I have to admit in summer here I make only 2-3 days per week but in winter daily.(or have 3-4 in fridge to rotate).

kinna54, Mar 1, 5:06am
Have also most certainlymade my own soups from other bases as well;everything fromfrench onion, minestrones, broth, creme soups to consomme, but quoted the basic mix that is the traditional kiwi style base of a thick, hearty meaty kiwi style meat and vege winter soup.
Have also made a lot of soup from just making my own good ol vegetable stock.(with absolutely no meat or bones added).but originally answered OP's enquiry re a packaged grain type soup mix.
One good thing about the cooler days coming is looking forward to hearty soup.YUM!

oops edited for typos sorry.

lindylambchops1, Mar 1, 9:01am
Try this!
PALOUSE SOUP MIX

2-1/2 c. green split peas
2-1/2 c. lentils
2-1/2 c. pearl barley
2 c. alphabet macaroni --I use brown rice instead
1 c. dried onion flakes
1/2 c. celery flakes
1/2 c. parsley flakes

Optional:
1-1/2 t. thyme
1-1/2 t. white pepper

Mix all ingredients together. Store in a jar with a tight- fitting lid. Stir before using. Makes 10 c. of mix.

TO COOK: Combine 1 c. of soup mix with 4 c. of water or seasoned stock in large pan. Add 1 c. of cooked chopped meat, if desired. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and cover pan. Simmer gently for 45 to 60 minutes, or until peas are tender. Add 1/2 t. salt if desired.

MINESTRONE VARIATION: Combine 1 c. of soup mix with a 16-oz. can of stewed tomatoes, 2 to 3 c. water or stock, 1 chopped carrot, 1 to 2 chopped potatoes, and 1/2 t. basil. (Optional: 1 clove minced garlic). Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and cover pan. Simmer 45 to 60 minutes or until peas are tender. Add 1/2 t. salt, if desired.
Enjoy!