Gelatine sheets?

mieshammie, Feb 25, 9:12am
Have come across a number of recipes using gelatine sheets, but I can only find gelatine powder in the supermarket.I've ruined one dessert because a) I tried to convert the amount to powder but obviously failed and b) the process for preparing the gelatine is different.Does anyone know where I can get gelatine sheets!It does annoy me that recipes in Cuisine magazine would use sheets when these are not easily available!

greg.n.michelle, Feb 25, 10:13am
Zarbo can buy onlinehttp://www.zarbo.co.nz/

olwen, Feb 25, 10:18am
II'm sure I've seen sheet gelatine in a supermarket -- probably New World

dezzie, Feb 25, 10:49am
Yep I saw them in New World here as well.

kcchien, Feb 25, 11:57am
Gourmet food markets sell them, Milley's in Ponsoby's do. Otherwise I have no idea sorry :(
Do bear in mind that they are more expensive because they are more 'concentrated'/potent than powder, so you use a lot less. A little goes a long way. (Oh, and you do need to soak it in COLD water before using).

olwen, Feb 25, 6:56pm
I gather that overseas there are different grades of gelatine sheets used for different purposes.Here'a an article about gelatine

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2004/04/19/1082326141351.html

trader125, Feb 25, 7:22pm
We have them in the deli section at new world

mieshammie, Feb 25, 10:25pm
I looked in the Baking products section at New World - which is where I would have expected them to be! - but will now try the deli section.Thanks for all the info.

mieshammie, Feb 25, 10:33pm
Olwen, thanks for the link to that article - I feel better just knowing that celebrated cooks have just as much difficulty in understanding the Mystery that is Gelatine!

jessie981, Feb 25, 11:18pm
sometime last year this question was asked & peeps gave likely place of where to buy. I'd never heard of them. not sure which town you are in.

Here you go.Mercato has them.

http://www.mercato.co.nz/catalog/product_info.php!products_i
d=651

100 Fitzgerald Avenue
Christchurch
0800 MERCATO

Edited by cookessentials at 8:17 pm, Thu 22 Dec

iriegirl, Feb 26, 1:45am
I have tried to do conversions from sheets to powder and had epic fails! So I took somebodies very wise advice and found another recipe that used good olld powder! One other useful tip was to look at a box of powdered gelatine and see if there is a guide on it as to how much powder to set x amount of liquid. Good luck!

mieshammie, Feb 26, 4:19am
Thanks Jessie981 - have checked out the Mercato website and the section under Gelatine Products is empty.Perhaps they realised it was actually a Can of Worms lol!
Iriegirl, I've come to the same conclusion, and have found some great looking recipes that use gelatine powder.They're from an American book though, so I'll just have to hope that all powders are created equal.
Thanks again everyone.

mieshammie, Feb 26, 4:22am
Iriegirl, another question.The Davis gelatine powder instructions say to add the powder directly to hot water and stir.All other instructions I've read say that powder should first be added to cold water for 5 mins and then added to the hot water.Which method do you use!Thanks!

dezzie, Feb 26, 4:36am
if you add powder to cold water.how do you get it out of the cold to add to the hot!
I've always just used the powder (and not been too fussy about what brand, at the moment I have pams) and just sprinkled it into hot liquid while whisking briskly, I can't remember ever having a non setting disaster.

knowsley, Feb 26, 4:43am
Mieshammie, I bought mine from Moore Wilson. I bought a big box of them, around $80, but note they sell small amounts in the Fresh section.

makespacenow, Feb 26, 4:47am
Gilmours also have them several different ones .

iriegirl, Feb 26, 8:58am
I've always added to hot water to be honest, usually twice the amount of the gelatine ie. 2 T gelatine/4 T hot water

k_ross, Feb 27, 6:58am
I see you're in Wellington according to your profile - I have bought them before from the gourmet food section of Kirks, in the Harbour City Centre. Was in with the spices and salts if I remember correctly.

mieshammie, Feb 27, 7:45am
Thanks again for all the suggestions.I've also now found them in the Dutch shop in Petone - Dr.Oetkers.

sarah681, Mar 1, 8:51am
I found the sheets in the bin in the other day so have a look there.