Gelatine

rambo24, Jun 10, 10:41pm
I never have much luck in making the marshmellow topping for Rocky mellow square. What are the secrets to making marshmellow? thanks.
The recipe says dissolve 2 dsp gelatine in a cup boiling water. then add 2 c sugar and vanilla essence. do i wait till the gelatine mix is warm or cold? thanks in advance!

cookessentials, Jun 10, 10:57pm
I would wait for the gelatine to dissolve into the boiled water first and then once it has, add your sugar and vanilla essence - you will need the hotish water to help dissolve the sugar granules. I would personally use caster sugar as it is finer and will dissolve far more quickly.

rambo24, Jun 11, 1:57am
great, thak you, seems like an awful lot of sugar! ! :)

rambo24, Jun 11, 1:58am
so i guess the water is still warmish when i add the sugar and beat it?

cookessentials, Jun 11, 3:28am
yes, I would say so.

cookessentials, Jun 11, 3:50am
I make toasted marshmallows from the Australian Women's Weekly cookbooks and they always turn out well. The method is different to your one though.

4 tablespoons gelatine
1 cup cold water
880g (4 cups) sugar
2 cups boiling water
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 teaspoons lemon juice
250g coconut

Sprinkle gelatine over cold water. Put sugar and boiling water into large saucepan, stir over low heat until sugar is dissolved, bring to boil. Stir in gelatine mixture. Boil steadily, uncovered, 20 minutes. Allow to cool to lukewarm.

Pour mixture into large bowl of electric mixer, add vanilla and lemon juice. Beat on high speed until very thick and white. Pour into two deep 20cm square cake tins which have been rinsed out with cold water. Refrigerate until set.
Put coconut in heavy pan. Stir with wooden spoon over moderate heat until coconut is light golden brown. Remove from pan immediately or coconut will continue to cook in heat of pan.
Cut marshmallow into squares with wet knife while still in the tin. Lift out with small spatula, toss in toasted coconut. Keep refrigerated.

rambo24, Jun 11, 6:15am
thank you, thats a great help~ have a nice weekend! ! :)

cookessentials, Sep 1, 3:44pm
How did you get on rambo24?