Red velvet cup cakes.

2young1, Feb 19, 9:24am
can someone tell me what is thebig deal with these! surely all that red food colouring cant be that good for you!

wheelz, Feb 19, 9:54am
use beetroot then

harrislucinda, Feb 19, 9:58am
yehcupcakesWe call theninnzpattycakessamethingwearejustcopingamercia

marcs, Feb 19, 10:23am
I don't see the fuss about them and they are a pain to make because you get the red colouring everywhere but it seem to be all the rage. I bake them for cafe's where I live and I just can't keep up.

kob, Feb 19, 5:43pm
i think because the mix when cooked is so soft and they keep that way for a few days, that they have become a great cafe standby, and they are yummy

n00dle, Feb 20, 1:48am
So are they simply normal cupcakes with red food colouring, or are they actually are different recipe altogether! Otherwise I kind of don't get it either.

julie_, Feb 20, 1:53am
cocoa and red food colouring I think.

I don't get why they are such a big deal either, but then I've never tried them.

kob, Feb 20, 3:27am
they have white vinegar in them which keeps them super moist

ngacooky, Feb 20, 8:14am
can someone post a recipe for them please!

bridget107, Feb 20, 8:31am

marcs, Feb 20, 11:28am
Red Velvet Cupcakes

Makes 12

Oven: 170c fan forced

60g unsalted butter
150g castor sugar
1 egg

10g cocoa powder
20ml pillar box red food colour
½ tsp vanilla

120ml buttermilk

150g plain flour
½ tsp salt

½ tsp bi carb soda
1 ½ tsp white vinegar

Cream butter and sugar till light and fluffy in a mixer with paddle attachment.

Add egg and beat it in well

Mix cocoa with food colour, red colour and vanilla into a smooth paste. Add to the sugar/butter mixture and combine till smooth.

Add flour alternating with butter milk to the mixture on slow speed till all combined.

Mix salt, bi carb and vinegar and add to the mixture. It bubbles up so use a biggish bowl.

Mix till all well combined and no lumps.

Scoop into cupcake paper and bake for 20 – 25 minutes. Ice with Vanilla cream cheese icing.

Vanilla Cream Cheese Icing

500g soft cream cheese.
1 ½ cup castor sugar
250g unsalted butter
1 – 2 tsp vanilla

Beat cream cheese and sugar till smooth and fluffy. Add butter and vanilla and beat for 5 minutes. Enough icing for 2 – 3 doz cup cakes

korbo, Feb 20, 6:36pm
why do you have to use unsalted butter. never buy it, what else is it used for. !

xtownie, Feb 21, 8:03am
The recipe I use has red food colouring and raspberry essence but no cocoa this makes them a bit more special than just a red tinted choc cake, and a gorgeous bright red colour.