Cheese - why does mild, edam & colby all

Page 2 / 2
seaturtle, Feb 10, 7:18pm
Also dont waste the oil use it in a salad with a good balsamic Delish!

richard198, Feb 10, 11:47pm
I wondered why all the mild cheeses had finger holes in them!

uli, Feb 11, 6:25am
10 to 12 degrees (=wine fridge).
Your normal fridge should have 4 degrees to keep your food from spoiling.

sumstyle, Feb 11, 7:49am
*ahem*

OP is not asking about fancy, or the tasty cheeses.She was asking about mild, edam and colby.

I find gruyere (only buy it when it's on special) comes close to the satisfaction level I used to get froma good bit of mild cheese.

supersapper, Feb 11, 8:31am
Thanks sumstyle - I did notice that the thread had been hijacked by the tasty cheese brigade haha.Maybe theres someone out there that can suggest a lovely tasting mild, colby or edam for me.Though gruyere -mmm - if I could afford it.

vmax2, Feb 11, 8:45am
Try making your own cheese to get the cheese 'satisfaction'.Easy to make soft cheeses, a bit harder and longer for the aged cheeses.

kuaka, Feb 11, 8:59am
A while back I had a block of Mainland Tasty which was anything but tasty, more like soap, and I complained and received a voucher for a replacement.I was told it hadn't been aged long enough before being released.The block I'm using at the moment, isn't quite as bad as that but it's not a lot better either, it's very "rubbery".

griffo4, Feb 11, 7:30pm
We have a van, called Cheese on Wheels ,that comes round selling cheeses and if l am in town l buy from there they are mostly imported cheeses but they are so nice and some of their cheeses have been aged 30yrs
Yes expensive but taste makes up for it l buy lots of small bits off different cheesesand they always seem to have plenty of customers wanting the real taste of cheese

lythande1, Feb 11, 7:37pm

schnauzer11, Feb 12, 5:09am
=1 for the SR Creamy Blue!

punkinthefirst, Feb 12, 11:27am
Actually, its a bit more expensive per kilo - but it goes a long way further! Tastes MUCH better, too.

sumstyle, Feb 12, 6:52pm
Uli, I see what you are saying - people have concentrated on the post rather than the key point that attracted them to the thread in the first place!

The topic heading clearly states in big font:

Cheese - why does mild, edam & colby all.(then runs on tho the rest) kind of taste the same these days!

Foodies usually have a slightly better focus on the topic - but it went way off course almost from the start.

ant_sonja, Feb 12, 7:14pm
Kaimai cheese company offers a nice variety of cheeses, if the budget allows :-)

prawn_whiskas, Feb 12, 8:32pm
It only goes 'way further' if you eat less of it! I don't!. I like my cheese its part of our diet and we go through a kg a week between us.I tended to use the vintage even harder because it tastes so much better! so it actually lasted less time lol.

daleaway, Feb 12, 10:17pm
I think they all taste the same because they have a similar amount of salt added. They are basically just salted curdy fat.

elliehen, Feb 12, 11:47pm
As others have said before.keeping a thread on course is like herding cats.

Even the really 'serious' foodies have gone off-topic in this one ;)

davidt4, Feb 13, 12:38am
This answered the question.

prawn_whiskas, Feb 13, 1:46am
Yep! Which then opened the conversation up for evolution.

So many against the evolution of a topic on here. ~Buttons Panties back up and gets back in line~

guest, Mar 22, 5:23pm
NAOmni - Only one way to get over the fear. Make more pies. Not too good on the waistline thgouh. ;)Jenn - Not advisable to use a cake mixer. You will end up with tough pastry. The other alternative would be to do it by hand but can't advise you on that since me and pastry by hand don't work very well together :(

guest, Mar 24, 2:40pm
I don't know how to cook rice but fortunately I have a rice cooekr. I just throw in the rice and some water, hit the button and twenty minutes later I have perfect fluffy rice. Not sure how it actually works, but it does and it's awesome. I just hope my rice cooekr never craps out on me, I'd be in trouble.