Cheese - why does mild, edam & colby all

Page 1 / 2
supersapper, Feb 10, 1:13am
kind of taste the same these days! Even bordering on same flavour as tasty cheese.I try different brands but they just aren't yummy any more

prawn_whiskas, Feb 10, 1:19am
Its mass produced cheese which is no longer aged for the correct time to allow it to develop.The only 'Nice' mass produced one out there is the mainland vintage, nice and sharp! but you need to top up the mortgage to buy a block!.

pog_mo_thoin, Feb 10, 2:04am
x1
yeh i agree , cant tell the diff . tasty maybe, but the rest are just shyte

purplegoanna, Feb 10, 2:05am
hubby agrees, he likes super strong tasty which tasty is no longer so i have to buy him small blocks of the gold label vintage tasty cheese for his crackas!

kay141, Feb 10, 2:07am
The last Mainland Vintage I bought was so not tasty, I complained to Fonterra and got a voucher for a replacement.

prawn_whiskas, Feb 10, 2:11am
Maybe its changed like the rest! Its been about a year since I last bought a block and could justify the price of it!

supersapper, Feb 10, 2:21am
We were in Europe last year and the dairy products were so much nicer than here - the cheese made me remember what cheese used to taste like in NZ but not any more.Saves me big dollars in grocery shop I guess - where we used to go throughkg block in a week or so, 500gms lasts 2-3 weeks.

chatsmom, Feb 10, 2:30am
Buy the South Island made blocks - I believe they taste better!

richard198, Feb 10, 3:16am
If NZ cheese makers think they can rip us off with bland cheese, maybe we should all boycott them and buy foreign cheese with real flavour!

davidt4, Feb 10, 3:33am
x1
Not all NZ cheese makers produce rubbish.We mainly buy Whitestone cheeses, plus Mainland SR Creamy Blue, which is very good.The smaller cheese makers like Whitestone deserve support.

davidt4, Feb 10, 3:33am
Not all NZ cheese makers produce rubbish.We mainly buy Whitestone cheeses, plus Mainland SR Creamy Blue, which is very good.The smaller cheese makers like Whitestone deserve support.

(edited to add)And Kapiti Ramara is a very good washed-rind cheese.

jessie981, Feb 10, 4:12am
I buy Mainland Tasty Vintage & always been tasty. Worth the extra $s.

holly-rocks, Feb 10, 4:19am
Whitestone Windsor blue is sooo good! Its actually made in Australia though. ( ive worked at Whitestone cheese in the cheese factory and cafe). Most people think its made in oamaru.

kay141, Feb 10, 4:25am
I love Evansdale cheeses, too much for my own good. They are available online and so tempting.

elliehen, Feb 10, 4:48am
I like Homebrand (Countdown) 1kg blocks of tasty cheese, with non-animal rennet.If you're lucky enough to find a block with a bit of gritty white salty residue on the outside, the cheese will be older and better.

jessie981, Feb 10, 4:51am
Last pkt of Mainland Tasty was like that e.h

lindylambchops1, Feb 10, 5:52am
x1
NZ cheese just isn't what it used to be!

uli, Feb 10, 6:05am
When I first came here over 25 years ago I always wondered why those blocks had different packaging. They all tasted the same.

Meanwhile we have real cheeses here in NZ, so why bother with those soap blocks at all. Then there was nothing else available.

I remember a deli opening here and importing French and Dutch cheeses, they sold out of the first shipment in 2 days LOL :)

lythande1, Feb 10, 7:55am
Have a look how long it was aged. The giant blocks of soap has been aged 5 minutes. Vintage up to 1 months. Epicure is 36 months, now that's cheese.

elliehen, Feb 10, 8:40am
I had a great-uncle who worked in a cheese factory and lost the top of a finger along the way.We always wondered whose block of cheese it turned up in.during the days before the advent of strict quality control standards ;)

atlantis3, Feb 10, 8:42am
question . If I put my block of mild cheese in the fridge and come back in 6 months is it now tasty cheese or is it too cold in a fridge to allow it to mature.!

richard198, Feb 10, 8:54am
You have to put it in a limestone cave.

coolnzmum, Feb 10, 9:01am
Take it home, remove from plastic and wrap in foil then leave it in the fridge to age.That was the advise from someone on one of the radio cook shows.

coolnzmum, Feb 10, 9:03am
x1
When buying tasty cheese look at it to see if it has a crumbly texture and white spots on it.With mild cheese it it is soft when you push finger into it then it going to taste like plastic.

seaturtle, Feb 10, 7:16pm
x1
If you dont have a limestone cave to age your cheese in . Try sitting your cheese in a light olive oil for several months and you will get the nice tang with a crumbly texture that you can still cook with or eat on crackers. Each time I purchaced a brick of yellow plastic I would cut a chunk off and store this way. This is just kept on a shelf in the pantry. When you are ready to use, just wipe the oil of the cheese Yum