Lemon cake/madeira recipe needed please

charmed14, Feb 4, 3:10am
Does anyone have a foolproof one, it's for a birthday cake so would need to be suitable to double.

seniorbones, Feb 4, 3:16am
search on the left hand side for lemon yoghurt cake change 'last 24 hours' to last year.its yummy and very popular you could double but makes a good size cake. Otherwise i could give you the recipe for Anabelle Langbeins lemon cake which needs a 30cm tin it too makes a BIg cake!

charmed14, Feb 4, 3:17am
x1
Yes please could you give me that one, thank you so much.

seniorbones, Feb 4, 3:18am
This sounds nice i might try it I have a packet of lime jelly I forgot to use at chrismas.

charmed14, Feb 4, 3:25am
Thanks that sounds great.

seniorbones, Feb 4, 3:29am
ok here goes, I will just type so will apologise for errors now especially since my nails are a bit long!
Lemon coconut cake.
based on a lemon cake It's a huge moist cake that you can whizz in a food processor in a flash.
prep time: 5 mins, Cook time; 1-1/2 hours.
Preheat oven to 160c grease a 28-30cm springform tin and line with baking paper. I used a 28cm and it overflowed, the last time I used a small roasting pan and it make a large rectangle cake.
3 cups sugar, 4 eggs, finely grated zest and juice of 4 lemons, 2 cups of neutral oil (I used rice bran) 1-3/4 cups plain unsweetened yoghurt. 1/2 cup desiccated coconut, 4 cups self raising flour, pinch of sale.
Place sugar, eggs, lemon zest/juice, oil and youghurt in processor or mixing bowl and whizz or beat until combined, add coconut, flour and sal pulse or mix until only just combined - do not overmix. pour into cake tin and bake until the cake is springy to touch and skewer comes out clean (about 1-1/2 hours) cool in tin.
Icing, 75g butter softened but not melted, 250gms cream cheese (not low fat) 1/2 cup desiccated coconut, 4 cups icing suga. place all in food processor and whizz if too runny chill until it reaches spreadable consistency. This icing also says to add 1/2 tsp coconut essence but I didn't like it was too strong,so the 2nd time I made it I left it out and was much nicer. WHEW!

seniorbones, Feb 4, 3:29am
ok here goes, I will just type so will apologise for errors now especially since my nails are a bit long!
Lemon coconut cake.
based on a lemon cake It's a huge moist cake that you can whizz in a food processor in a flash.
prep time: 5 mins, Cook time; 1-1/2 hours.
Preheat oven to 160c grease a 28-30cm springform tin and line with baking paper. I used a 28cm and it overflowed, the last time I used a small roasting pan and it make a large rectangle cake plus I got 6 cupcakes from the mix too.

3 cups sugar, 4 eggs, finely grated zest and juice of 4 lemons, 2 cups of neutral oil (I used rice bran) 1-3/4 cups plain unsweetened yoghurt. 1/2 cup desiccated coconut, 4 cups self raising flour, pinch of salt.
Place sugar, eggs, lemon zest/juice, oil and youghurt in processor or mixing bowl and whizz or beat until combined, add coconut, flour and sal pulse or mix until only just combined - do not overmix. pour into cake tin and bake until the cake is springy to touch and skewer comes out clean (about 1-1/2 hours) cool in tin.
Icing, 75g butter softened but not melted, 250gms cream cheese (not low fat) 1/2 cup desiccated coconut, 4 cups icing suga. place all in food processor and whizz if too runny chill until it reaches spreadable consistency. This icing also says to add 1/2 tsp coconut essence but I didn't like it was too strong,so the 2nd time I made it I left it out and it was much nicer. WHEW!

bridget107, Feb 4, 3:39am
The Lemon Sour Cream cake in the Edmonds Cookbook is AWESOME!

firemansgirl, Feb 4, 8:54am
Charmed14 let us know how it turns out :-)

charmed14, Feb 4, 7:20pm
Sure!I am thinking of maybe doing it in the shape of a nail polish bottle but not to sure yet.

spot20, Feb 4, 8:38pm
The cake with the jelly crystals is great.hubby even whips it up on occasion and its always excellent!

kiwitrish, Feb 4, 8:44pm
So glad that you all like my recipe.Told you it was nice and easy and tastes good.

charmed14, Feb 5, 2:08am
Just wondering for the cake with the jelly in it, what sized tin did people use and how long did they cook it for!Just trying to decide what size tin to use.

onyka, Feb 6, 12:48am
If you can get your hands on duck eggs they are the bomb for making Madeira cakes, well any baking actually but the duck eggs give the most fabulous colour to Madeira cakes.

figjamto, Feb 6, 5:38am
I am not at home so can not give you the receipe, but Donna Hay's Lemon Yoghurt cake is absolutely devine, I made it the other week to take work and everybody loved it.its in her fast, simple, fresh cookery book.

greenforde, Feb 6, 6:32pm
Would a roasting dish be too big for this recipe.I was thinking of a Birthday cake.