Meat in freezer for 3 years

diddlypop, Feb 2, 3:04am
Just cleaned out the freezer and found beef that went in 3 years ago.I noticed that the plastic bags, from the butcher, have started to break down and am now not so sure if it is still eatable.What do you think!

tjman, Feb 2, 3:11am
Bin it for sure

sassy11, Feb 2, 3:13am
ook

imn, Feb 2, 3:40am
give it to the dog.

harrislucinda, Feb 2, 3:49am
agreewithabovewouldhavefrostburnandtough

lindylambchops1, Feb 2, 3:49am
Dog tucker or cat food !

lodgelocum, Feb 2, 3:52am
Toss it out, don't feed the animals, bet they would screw their noses up too.

pickles7, Feb 2, 4:12am
Don't waste the power to cook it.

lythande1, Feb 2, 5:34am
That's terrible! Don't you organise your freezer, oldest at front - or top.

tjman, Feb 2, 5:40am
x1
Does anyone. except maybe you! lol

elliehen, Feb 2, 5:43am
Even if your freezer is organised, someone in the family will get in there and heave things around ;)

beaker59, Feb 2, 5:53am
Food safety wouldn't be the issue though taste could be a bit off. Beef would be worth a punt I think, I once did a pork roast that had been frozen that long and while it was OKish it was hardly a gormet experience.

I would fry a sliver to see if it has taken on a taint. If it tastes OK then I would consider casserole or slow cooked stew. Otherwise it would be great for the dog or cat.

tjman, Feb 2, 5:53am
Only if they can put it in the micro.teenage boys!Or maybe iceblock or icecream ha!

tjman, Feb 2, 5:55am
I dont think I'll take my dog to the house of the people that would feed them this food.They too , can get food poisoning.

beaker59, Feb 2, 7:46am
x1
You are no more likely to get food poisoning than if it had been there a week.

wheelz, Feb 2, 9:45am
x1
it's not a matter of getting food poisoning, but that the flavor of the meat would be altered for the worse.

seniorbones, Feb 2, 9:49am
x1
you would get food poisoning! its not rotten just old, I wouldnt think it would taste the best but I have cooked meat a couple of years old and I'm still here!

vintagekitty, Feb 2, 9:50am
try it on your husband first

kuaka, Feb 2, 10:33am
Well I once found a large piece of beef at the bottom of my freezer, had no idea how long it had been there, but was well freezer-burnt so I decided to take it when I went camping with some friends, so that they could give it to their dogs.First night for tea at camp we had a delicious meal of (you guessed it) beef.It had been cooked all afternoon in the Dutch (or camp) oven, and was truly delicious, lovely and moist, tender and lovely flavour.When I asked was this the beef I'd brought for the dogs, the answer was "stuff the dogs, there's nothing wrong with it, is there!"And there wasn't.But, having said that, I wouldn't cook it if I was inviting friends for tea and hoping to impress them, just in case it was awful.