I need icing help please

sarahb5, Jan 30, 10:02pm
Kids are back at school and I made a chocolate cake for their lunches which they want iced but they want icing that doesn't stick to the foil or gladwrap because it's too messy and a waste of icing - they'd rather eat it on the cake than licked off the wrapping!At the moment I tend to use either butter cream if they want coloured or basic ganache but neither of them really go "hard" enough to not stick to the wrapping.Would just a simple glace icing be the best way to go!I don't want to be phaffing around with fondant just for lunch box baking - don't have the time, patience or inclination for that.

wheelz, Jan 30, 10:08pm
How about just a dusting with icing sugar! Or none at all, lucky little ones to get cake for lunches.

dbab, Jan 30, 10:09pm
Or you could cut the cake in half and put the icing in the middle.

sarahb5, Jan 30, 10:16pm
Not little - big, fussy teenage boys but the fad at school at the moment is to have pink icing on your cake .

sarahb5, Jan 30, 10:17pm
Could do but then the cake would probably fall in half - one piece with icing on the top is easier to eat when you're also playing football or texting .

wheelz, Jan 30, 10:35pm
I'm surprised that they want to take cake! When my son was a teenager at school, lunch had to fit in your pocket, can't see cake fitting in there, let alone without disturbing the icing. How about cup cakes, with the level of the icing below the cake paper so it has a better chance of surviving!

sarahb5, Jan 30, 10:51pm
Cup cakes could be OK but they like chocolate cake at the moment - and it has to have pink icing and sprinkles .Go figure - it's an all boys school as well!

camper18, Jan 30, 11:11pm
I made dozens of chocolate muffins from a well tried and tested cake recipe off TM for my grandchildren. To get around the problem you are having I cut the top 2cm off, iced them with glace icing and popped the top back on. (It sticks ok). Then I wrapped each one in clingwrap and froze them. They took one each morning and it was thawed by playtime.

lurtz, Jan 30, 11:18pm
Brilliant!

daleaway, Jan 30, 11:24pm
Just make your icing with icing sugar and water (and flavouring), and it will set hard. Leave the butter out.

sarahb5, Jan 31, 1:58am
Yeah that's the kind of thing I want - so it forms an icing "crust" really - will give it a go next time

lindi4, Jan 31, 3:36am
I Found melted chocolate bits stirred into the icing made it set as hard as you like to make it.

lulu239, Jan 31, 12:45pm
Oh sarah, the mind boggles!I can just imagine the boys comparing their daily cakes for icing, texture and who has the most sprinkles. "Mine's better than yours" springs to mind. There may even be the odd punchup as to whose mother is the better cook!

sarahb5, Jan 31, 7:56pm
Well judging by the horrified screams when I put green icing on the cake for St Patricks Day instead of pink I'm thinking that's exactly what happens!I guess they're just getting in touch with their feminine side .

NB:Actually pink doesn't make your tongue or teeth look weird - so I think that's the main reason why it's the preferred colour

springtime, Jan 31, 9:33pm
Make the icing with icing sugar/cocoa - and I put in a knob of butter - but do it the night before.The icing will harden up and it won't stick to the gladwrap/baking paper in lunchbox.Not that I think it darn matters, as I see my kids sometimes pick the icing off their cake pieces before eating the cake . lol