Butter chicken sauce

theboss17, Jan 24, 8:31pm
any ideas on how to make it at home my boys love it

davidt4, Jan 24, 8:57pm

suzanna, Jan 25, 12:46am
Here are a couple I found using the search function- there are lots there.

I use this on a regular basis and my kids love it too.
500g diced chicken
50g butter
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 finely chopped onion
3/4 cup cream (I use a 300 ml bottle)
4 tbsp tomato paste ( I use the 130g watties tin)
1 1/2 tsp each turmeric / nutmeg / ground cumin
1 tsp garam masala
1 1/2 tsp cornflour (mixed with some of the cream)

Method:
Mix the tumeric, nutmeg & cumin with the chicken meat. In a large fry pan sauté the onion and garlic in the butter until soft. Add chicken mix to the pan. Add the tomato paste and Garam Masala. Stir in the cream and simmer till cooked.

If the sauce thickens too much (I sometimes use too much cornflour) you can thin it out by adding a bit of milk - helps to increase the volume of the gravy if you need to stretch the meal out for any extras. Our family of 2 Adults & 2 children will eat all of this on rice and a piece (half for kids) of roti each.
I found a handy double ended measuring spoon at my chemists with 5ml & 2.5 mls. Was sold as a medicine spoon but I find it handy for measuring out my spices.

Quotekdenz (254 )1:30 pm, Mon 4 Apr #5

IQuotevintagekitty (1162 )11:41 am, Tue 5 Apr #8
I have conncocted this using several different recipes and trail and error! Everybody reckons its as good as an indian restaurant!
Butter Chicken (Murgh Makhani)

800g boneless chicken breast or thighs
1 T lemon juice
1 t kashmiri chilli powder
½ t salt
2 T butter, melted

Marinade
1 C yoghurt
½ t salt
2 cloves garlic crushed
½ t garam masala
1 t kashmiri chilli powder
2 T crushed fresh ginger
2 T lemon juice
2 T mustard oil

For the makhni gravy
50g butter
6 whole green cardamoms
6 whole cloves
6 whole black peppercorns
1 cinnamon stick
1 T fresh ginger, crushed
1 T crushed garlic
2-3 green chillies, chopped
1tin tomato puree (410g)
½ T kashmiri chilli powder
1t garam masala
½ t salt
! C water
½ t dry fenugreek leaves (optional)
1 C cream

Make incisions with sharp knife in the chicken, mix lemon juice, chilli powder and salt together and rub into the chicken.
Set aside for ½ an hour. Mix together all ingredients for the marinade, and rub thoroughly into the chicken, refrigerate for three to four hours or overnight. Preheat the oven to 200oC and bake the chicken for ten to twelve minutes, then baste with the melted butter. Set aside whilst making the gravy.
Heat butter in a pan. In a pestle and mortar lightly bruise the green cardamoms, cloves and peppercorns. Add these to the pan with the cinnamon stick and sauté for two minutes. Add the ginger, garlic, chopped chillies and cook a further two minutes. Add the tomato puree, chilli powder, garam masala, salt and water, bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer for ten minutes, add fenugreek leaves (if using). Dice the cooked chicken and add to pan, simmer for a further five minutes then add cream. Serve hot with naan.

Notes: Try to use the kashmiri chilli powder as it helps give the dish the wonderful red colouring and is milder and sweeter than other chilli powders.

rayna4, Jan 25, 2:33am
Get the kantong buttered chicken sauce and add to chopped cooked chicken. Heat and add 2tbsp brown sugar and cream to taste. Honestly. It is the same as the real one. Instead of Naan bread which can be expensive, I just toast bread rolls. Yummy!

perle, Jan 25, 3:13am
watties tomato soup, garam masala, cream