Meatless meal ideas plz

Page 2 / 2
uli, Jan 25, 3:26am
Yeah - what about them LOL
Poor hens :)

But humans can do to animals what they like I guess so why not keep hens without a cockerel.

jaystarfish, Jan 25, 3:30am
Just made this pumpkin and mushroom risotto.was delish.http://canarygirl.com/!p=111

frances1266, Jan 25, 5:00am
It is a choice to eat eggs Uli, I dont.

gaspodetwd, Jan 25, 5:03am
Eggplant parmigiana - Jamie Oliver's recipe. Totally delicious! I do it with crusty bread and a green salad.
Or feta and spinach cannelloni. Stuffed - in a tomato pasta type sauce.
With garlic bread.

rainrain1, Jan 25, 5:04am
Risotto
1 large onion finely chopped
200 g finely sliced leeks
2 - 4 cloves garlic pureed
2 1/2 cups par-boiled rice
2 cups white wine
8 cups vegetable stock. If you are using liquid stock add 4 stock cubes
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
120 g tomato that has been peeled, de-seeded and cubed.
1/4 cup grated parmesan of other tasty cheese

On medium heat, in a heavy saucepan, saute onion, garlic and leeks in a little butter until transparent.
Add parboiled rice and stir. Ladle in white wine and stock one ladle at a time. Cook for about seven minutes then add tomatoes.
Continue cooking for another 15 minutes, or until the broth is all absorbed and the rice is creamy.
Remove from heat, stir in extra butter and grated cheese.

You can garnish the risotto with a little basil or other flavoured oil.

courtney2004, Jan 25, 6:34am
wonderful wonderful ideas thanks heaps I will be enjoying them with the family.

raewyn64, Jan 25, 6:52am
I made a meatless meat loaf on the weekend. It was for my niece who is vegetarian and I had never made anything like this before.
I got a tin of brown lentles and put them in the blender to a mince consistancy. I got some peanuts and blended them to small sizes. Put them both together with onion, an egg, grated corgette, grated carrot, grated cheese, soy sauce and some vege stock cube for added flavour and some breadcrumbs. Then put it in a loaf tin. However it was too moist -the top was cooking well but the inner was still mushy. so I tipped it back in a bowl, added more breadcrumbs and some flour till it was a stiffer mix and then made patties and fried them. They tasted very nice even though it wasn't quite a loaf :)

mjhdeal, Feb 5, 7:07pm
Alison Holst bean burgers. Grind up a jar of the mix, and you have a vegetarian meal ready to go whenever you want it - just add water! They taste fantastic - meat eaters love them too!

http://www.thekindlife.com/user/recipe/bean-burgers-from-alison-holst

gerry64, Feb 5, 8:14pm
kiwitrish - care to share your cheese and onion pie - have been given a sack of onions so would appreciate something different

kiwitrish, Feb 6, 7:23am
Sorry for the late reply but have been working.Here goes for one large pie.

make 200g shortcrust pastry. (can give recipe if needed) and line 20.5cm plate.
Filling 2 large chopped onions cooked in boiling salted water for 5 mins and then drained. (I do mine in the microwave with 2 Tbsp water for 2 mins and drain)
100g grated cheese, whatever you have.I use tasty.
30ml milk (2 Tbsp)
Salt and pepper
Divide pastry into two and roll out and line a 20.5 cm plate.
Spread the cooked and drained onions, top with the grated cheese and milk and season well with salt and pepper.
Cover with the rest of the rolled out pastry and seal the edges well.Decorate if liked, and brush with milk and a sprinkling of grated cheese
Bake 200c for about 30 mins.

As there is only two of us I make it on two side plates and change the recipe to a third more.If you need any help please ask.

male_timaru, Feb 6, 10:46am
Just make any normal meat dish without the meat in there .

simple really .

beausun, Feb 8, 8:15am
I make the vegetarian shepherd pie from the book often. Everyone loves it and no one has ever complained there was nomeat in the meal. The lentil soup is delicious and so is the canneloni

vonkrum, Feb 9, 8:35pm
We tried a recipe I had got of the message board last night.I think it was a Sophie Gray recipe.
4 medium potatoes cooked and sliced, 1 can chilli beans, 1 can baked beans, 1 can tomatoes, cheese. 1 onion, 3cloves of garlic sliced.Cook and slice potatoes and put 1/3 potato mix in oven proof dish.Whilst potatoes are cooking make up the bean mix.Put onion and garlic to soften then add tomatoes and both beans.Mix and cook a little.On top of the potato layer put 1/3 bean mix, then potato and another 1/3 mix, potato and end on bean mix layer.I put some fresh breadcrumbs over then grated cheese and put in oven to brown.Yummy.Will be another regular in our house and was a cheap meal.

elsha00, Feb 11, 10:34pm

terachaos, Jan 24, 9:15pm
http://www.goodtoknow.co.uk/recipes/pictures/34364/10-vegetarian-versions-of-classic-recipes/1!utm_source=Cheetahmail&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Recipesnewsletter-240112
Just had an update from good to know; 10 vegetarian versions of classic recipes. I love good to know, get lost for hours on this site:)

jaystarfish, Jan 25, 3:30am
Just made this pumpkin and mushroom risotto.was delish.http://canarygirl.com/!p=111

mjhdeal, Feb 5, 7:07pm
Alison Holst bean burgers. Grind up a jar of the mix, and you have a vegetarian meal ready to go whenever you want it - just add water! They taste fantastic - meat eaters love them too!

http://www.thekindlife.com/user/recipe/bean-burgers-from-alison-holst

uli, Feb 11, 4:07am
Glad you don't like vinegar then frances1266! :)

uli, Feb 11, 4:10am
This time of year I make lots of frittatas and fritters with corn and yellow courgettes or with tomatoes or with cooked grated potatoes and herbs or any combination fresh from the garden. Personally I add bacon and cheese on top, but that can be omitted.

Cook either in a big pie dish or a fry pan or make into smaller fritters.

Serve with a big mixed garden salad - green leaves, cucumbers, tomatoes, whatever is there.

jillybeans2, Feb 11, 4:18am
No meat stir fry.lots of veg, bok choy, long beans, spring onions, red pepper, garlicbroccoli florets ,
courgettes, sesame oil, crushed ginger. Stir fry, at end of cooking add sachet of Wok Creations sauce.serve with any noodles I like udon or steamed rice

nunesy, Feb 11, 4:29am
Might be obvious but adding boiled eggs and sauteed mushrooms to a green salad makes me not miss my usual addition of stirfried chicken pieces.The eggs and mushroom are warm and the mushroom has that rich nutty flavour, sometimes also quickly brown a nut/seed combo and add that too.Great for if I've run out of chicken or can't afford it.

thewomble1, Feb 11, 4:57am
Just take out your teeth and you won't be able to eat the 'meat' in the pie.

elsha00, Feb 11, 10:34pm

lucky1989, Feb 11, 11:52pm
fritters, omlette, fritatta, scrambled eggs/beans on toast, roast vege salad with feta or cashews, vegetarian sushi if you can make it ok, salads, bean enchiladas