Meatless meal ideas plz

Page 1 / 2
courtney2004, Jan 23, 10:08pm
Trying to get 2 meatless meals a week into the family! helps on the budget.
What are your ideas! I am going to have a little mission as someone is not a LARGE pasta fan but others are! so any ideas wouldb e great that uses the standard things not extra things like egg plant etc as we only shop once a fortnight - being on a farm we are able to grow our own lettuces etc.

ant_sonja, Jan 23, 10:18pm
Roast vegetable salad, use carrot/kumara/potato/pumpkin/o-
nion/beetroot or a combination thereof, dress with a mustard vinaigrette. Nice if you have fresh parsley to stir through as well. Serve on a bed of greens. A large seasonal salad is always nice this time of year, tomato/cucumber/courgette as well as any other veggies you have and you can serve with crusty slices of garlic or plain bread. pasta with a roast tomato/capsicum sauce. vegetable soup.

harrislucinda, Jan 23, 10:18pm
quichefishpiemadefrom tin smokedtuna

duckmoon, Jan 23, 10:31pm
Borrow the book 'meals without meat' Alison and Simon holst.

It was my intro to vege cookery

courtney2004, Jan 23, 10:57pm
Sweet! a neighbour has that book! Will be visiting this afternoon - saw it on the coffee table now I think about it got to pop over anyway so will look at it hten. I guess tonight is the night we are going to hav ea meatless !
I enjoy meals without meat some nights I dont even have meat just because the plate is full of yummy veges etc.
but that means others still have it and I think cutting it out totally 2 times a week is not a big issue

cgvl, Jan 23, 11:43pm
not really meatless but homemade fish cakes using tinned tuna or salmon, fish pie (Kedgeree version) has eggs, rice and tinned fish or smoked in a white or cheese sauce.
What about an easy version of boston baked beans . tomatoes, golden syrup, canneloni beans and bacon or you can use a couple of tins of baked beans and add bacon to them with either treacle or golden syrup to give the taste.
Potato or vegie bake with a salad.
Cheese soufle or fish both nice with salads.
Bacon and egg pie or pizza type pie was a saturday night regular as were toasted sandwiches and in winter a huge pot of vegie soup with scones.
Trying to think what we had a kids.

pericles, Jan 23, 11:44pm
spanakopita

tjman, Jan 23, 11:47pm
Potatoe fritata.

sarahb5, Jan 24, 12:36am
I do this - you can either serve the vegetables hot or cold.Don't forget the garlic and I add fresh thyme to mine as well.You can basically chuck in any vegetables you have (although celery and cucumber don't really work) and add some feta for protein.

frances1266, Jan 24, 1:49am
The vegetarian thread Elliehen posted has great, economical and tasty recipes.Also recommend Alison Holst's book for meatless meals.
Your library will probably stock it.She also has a Very Easy Vegetarian
Meals book.
Fish, bacon etc do not qualify as vegetarian!

uli, Jan 24, 1:59am
She was talking about "meatless", not vegetarian.

frances1266, Jan 24, 6:05am
When did bacon, fish etc not become meat.Meat is anything with a face or mother.

uli, Jan 24, 8:29am
courtney2004 - frances needs you to clarify what sort of "meatless days" you want LOL :)

Where do eggs come in frances! They certainly came from the mother hen and should not be eaten, as they are unborn chicks!

kintama_80, Jan 24, 8:30am
+1 for this or go Indian with something like palak paneer

brish, Jan 24, 8:35am
I've got that book too.It was my introduction to meatless cooking too.

pickles7, Jan 24, 8:56am
Not necessarily uli. what about unfertilised eggs.

ruby19, Jan 24, 9:12am
Lasagne usually goes down well, veggie patties made into burger meals, curries.Quiche's or a veggie pie, are also an easy way to go meat free, and use up staple ingredients nothing too exotic.Do a bean nacho/enchilada meal. Do have a browse through the vegetarian recipe thread, there are some practical recipes posted there.

terachaos, Jan 24, 9:15pm
http://www.goodtoknow.co.uk/recipes/pictures/34364/10-vegetarian-versions-of-classic-recipes/1!utm_source=Cheetahmail&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Recipesnewsletter-240112
Just had an update from good to know; 10 vegetarian versions of classic recipes. I love good to know, get lost for hours on this site:)

yjeva, Jan 24, 9:27pm
As the OP says her reason is because it is easier on the budget some ideas would not help much regardless of whether they are vegetarian or not. Fish, bacon and cheese in some recipes can cost as much as meat.

parsondian, Jan 24, 9:44pm
We often do corn fritters in replacement of meat.

kiwitrish, Jan 24, 10:13pm
Cheese and onion pie.We have that once a week. Yummy.

elliehen, Jan 24, 11:28pm
A big fat portobello mushroom can replace the meat in a delicious burger.

brish, Jan 24, 11:36pm
Mock whitebait patties from the Edmonds cook book are great, but they do have some cheese in them.

jude343, Jan 25, 2:05am
pizza, make a vegetarian , kids love it

uli, Jan 25, 3:25am
The one vegetarian thing that tastes just as nice as meat is fried egg plant. If you salt the slices before you fry them they will not take up much fat (after one hour wash the salt off and press the water out with both hands).

Do NOT cut and fry them straight away, or they will be completely oil filled and terrible.

I have also tried the much touted idea of putting them on baking paper and oven roasting them several times - and found them terrible and tasteless. Frying them is the best thing.

Then top them with a lovely onion/tomato/garlic/herb sauce. Cheese very optional (I hardly ever put cheese on but you can of course).

Serve with rice if you feel you need carbs and a huge green mixed salad.