Pickled onions risen to the top

picxie, Jan 20, 5:50am
I did some picked onions last night. Even though I overflowed the liquid, there is still air at the top. It seems to have gotten worse over night as everything cooled off. So my nicely packed pickled onions that were all completely covered by the vinegar mixture, is no longer. The ones at the top are exposed . will they still turn out okay! Should I open them and top them up with plain vinegar! The jars are all sealed so I'd prefer not to, but I don't want bad onions!

sarahb5, Jan 20, 8:54am
I didn't think you were supposed to seal them tightly until the next day because of that!Haven't pickled onions myself for years but there was never enough room left in the jar when I did because they were packed so tightly and then I'd screw on the lid but loosely until they were completely cold and then top up and seal.

prawn_whiskas, Jan 20, 7:34pm
This ^ if you have some 'floating' then they were not jammed in tight enough to stop them floating up out of the liquid.

picxie, Jan 20, 8:39pm
Okay . so I should unseal them all and push all the onions down then! So it doesn't matter if the jars are left unsealed!

prawn_whiskas, Jan 20, 8:53pm
I'd probably pull them all out, re stuff the jars (you will end up with less jars with the pickles tight) and then reheat the vinegar mix and re seal them.Will mean re sterilizing your jars as well.

picxie, Jan 20, 11:04pm
Okay, just redone them and they will stuffed in as hard as I could! All look to be fine. I steralised a small jar but there still weren't enough onions for the third jar to be full! So I put some gherkins in as well. Will be interesting to see how they turn out! Hmm . probably could have just chopped up a big onion instead! Never mind.