Fried Liver and Onions

jerrytravis, Nov 16, 2:43am
* 1kg sliced beef liver
* 1 1/2 cups milk, or as needed
* 1/4 cup butter, divided
* 2 large Onions, sliced into rings
* 2 cups all-purpose flour, or as needed
* salt and pepper to taste

1. Gently rinse liver slices under cold water, and place in a medium bowl. Pour in enough milk to cover. Let stand while preparing onions. (I like to soak up to an hour or two - whatever you have time for.) This step is SO important in taking the bitter taste of the liver out.

2. Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Separate onion rings, and saute them in butter until soft. Remove onions, and melt remaining butter in the skillet. Season the flour with salt and pepper, and put it in a shallow dish or on a plate. Drain milk from liver, and coat slices in the flour mixture.

3. When the butter has melted, turn the heat up to medium-high, and place the coated liver slices in the pan. Cook until nice and brown on the bottom. Turn, and cook on the other side until browned. Add onions, and reduce heat to medium. Cook a bit longer to taste. I prefer the liver to just barely retain a pinkness on the inside when you cut to check.

Enjoy :-)

bisloy, Nov 16, 2:50am
This is my recipe too. Yummy

biddy6, Nov 16, 3:35am
I too absolutely love liver but can't handle it from a beefie - not even my freshly home killed ones.It has to be sheeps liver for this kid.Same goes for kidneys.Oh and has to be served with bacon -yumm!

edited to say why I don't like beef offal - I find it way too strong in taste.

aktow, Nov 16, 12:53pm
i eat liver as a snack.. i buy liver from mad butchers on a tray in plastic.. i get home and i don't even bother to open the tray. i put the tray in the microwave for three minutes.. it turns out so tender and juicy.. i do season liver after it comes out..

lizab, Nov 16, 8:55pm
I make a gravy with the onions and liver juice, then add the cooked liver back in. I haven't had any for ages - thx for the reminder. Lambs liver and kidney here too - I tried pigs liver once - never never again!!!! I'm off to the freezer to find some liver (live on a sheep farm, so have a supply lucky me :) )

cheese-mike, Nov 17, 1:05am
I love chicken hearts, my favorite way is either on a skewer on the BBQ or in a stir fry. Yum Yum

ogden, Nov 17, 2:01am
Yup definitely gotta have the bacon Yummy.

jerrytravis, Aug 12, 7:05pm
i couldnt eat liver cooked straight without seasoning aktow, flavour is too strong. all good though :-)