Marmalade help please

anne1955, Jan 12, 9:23pm
Hi not like me to not have jam setting.wondering if I didn't put enough sugar in.should be double to fruit for marmalade!I used the older Edmonds cook book but poured of some of the water/juice the next day I have kept it.but seemd far to much.now worry about if the pectin maybe in that water/juice after the soaking!And was probably a bit short on sugar.any help please.thanks Anne

harrislucinda, Jan 12, 10:51pm
putfruitbackon theheatandaddsomemoresugarshouldbethickany waywhenmakingjamorjellyialwaysboiluntilitlookslikethickmud

cgvl, Jan 12, 11:03pm
may need to boil it for longer, sometimes a lot longer than recipe suggests.

mica3, Jan 12, 11:16pm
I could make any jam/marmalade that set until I bought a thermometer. $12.
Sets every time now just have to be patient and wait for it to get to the right temperature - turns out I am too impatient :) Usually will set when reaches 105C

brooksy1, Jan 13, 3:13am
This is the wrong time to be making marmalade.It needs to be made with early season fruit that is still showing a bit of green.It is then that they have a very high pectin level.If made later in the season, even if still a bit green it won't set without a lot of boiling.Go buy a couple of packets of pectin, bring the marmalade bake to the boil, sprinkle over the pectin, stir in well and proceed as usual.I make about 60 jars of the stuff per year from our own grapefruit and it never fails.If I can't make it about June then I pick and prepare the fruit and freeze it, I don't make it from the tree after about August.Good-luck