Heeeellllllpppp! With gelatine please!

oli3, Jan 12, 12:00am
Am making berry mousse for dessert dinner, guest coming, and while they are quite forgiving I would like to get this right, at this stage I may be serving berry soup.
When I mixed the swelled and melted gelatine into the mixture it set immediately into ugly tough ribbons.So, I seived the mixture, reprepared the gelatine and this time made sure the gelatine mixture was nicely runny before gradually whisking it into the mixture, it looked much better, still nice and smooth.But - then came time to layer two different flavoured mixtures into the serving glasses to set, but the mixtures are soooo runny there is no chance of layering ahhhhh!So, now I have bunged the whole lot in the fridge, that is partly filled parfait glasses and bowls of runny mousse mixture.My hope is that after it has set a little I can layer it and let it set more.
Am I on the right track!Any tips!I fear we're having expensive berry soup.

indy95, Jan 12, 12:28am
Oli3, it is very important that the gelatine mixture is close to the same temperature as whatever you are adding it to otherwise youwill indeed end up with " ugly tough ribbons ". Maybe the mousse will still do what it's meant to after some time ibn the fridge but if it just won't set perhaps it could be used as a sauce layered in your parfait glasses with crushed meringues folded through some whipped cream ora cream/yoghurt combination or cubed sponge cake with some of the liquid and some fresh berries. Extra berries or chopped toasted nuts or grated chocolatecould be scattered over the top

oli3, Jan 12, 12:28am
I checked the mousse mixtures, one is setting nicely, the other (which contains lots of sieved berries) doesn't look like it will set.Will it work if I mix up some more gelatine and add it now!

oli3, Jan 12, 12:30am
I did not know that about gelatine, this recipe calls for adding a hot gelatine mix into a cold or room temp mousse, but when I added gradually while whisking it did seem to work ok.What would be the best way to add more gelatine to some of it now!

indy95, Jan 12, 12:32am
Yes, I think that would work and if it doesn't you can still turn it into a lovely dessert. Just don't tell anyone about the glitch !

oli3, Jan 12, 12:35am
Thanks, I don't know how else to do the gelatine than how it worked earlier, so will try and repeat that method and let you know!