What meal can you make for $5

Page 2 / 3
lookingfor, Feb 5, 6:18am
if you don't mind lamb fry and mash potatoes, lamb fry is always very cheap.

knowsley, Feb 5, 8:05am
So, no meat, eggs, milk, chicken, cheese, nuts, or fish - because where I shop, they all have bar codes on them.

knowsley, Feb 5, 8:08am
Our Chinese meals are cheap.

uli, Feb 5, 8:10am
Is that liver!

male_timaru, Feb 5, 12:57pm
Yip

Lamb's Fry = Liver

And it is not as cheap as it once was - grrrr - my meat bill went up last year from $10 a week when using it every day to the equivalent now would cost me $17 a week - nearly doubled in value in 12 months! grrrrr

Hence why i went the Ox Heart route instead

male_timaru, Feb 5, 1:05pm
If you buy in bulk you can get a $5 meal from it every day (so my $5 meal is from having bought 30 eggs, x, y and z at bulk prices not a couple at a time etc)

6 eggs (3 yolks if you wish to remove them - i personally cook whole eggs myself) - $0.80-$1.00
100gm mushrooms (small button ones - i mean SMALL - ie the ones most people ignore and leave lol) - $1.25-$1.75
2 rashers bacon (if buying those gammony ham bacon not REAL bacon lol) - $0.85-$1.20
1/2 onion (cut and sliced and diced - white or red - doesn't matter to me what colour) - $0.48-$0.60
Butter as required (i fry in butter mostly not oils) - $0.40
Coleslaw (a bed to put everything on instead of bread) - $1.00

Price = $4.78 to $5.95 (depending upon the price at the time of making it)

lisa7, Feb 6, 9:23pm
One of my quick, fave, cheap meals is a packet of pasta with Watties Indian tinned tomatoes on top.You can add bacon, peppers, onions and courgettes with the tomatoes and grate cheese on top. Yum and Easy and my kids love it.

dibble35, Feb 6, 9:42pm
At the moment I am having healthy! fryups that would cost $2-$3. Cold pre-boiled new potatoes, and zucchini both from garden, onion, few rashersbacon chopped, all fried in oil/butter eat on own or serve on toast - yummy.

duckmoon, Feb 6, 11:29pm
Pasta, tin of tomatoes, half an onion,spices from cuboard. A sprinkle of cheese

ant_sonja, Feb 6, 11:50pm
A couple of ideas and fairly easy on the wallet: An omelette with fresh herbs from the garden & some button mushrooms, fried in butter on the side. Or A baked potato, scoop out the middle and mash with butter, seasoning and fresh herbs, a sprinkling of cheese on top, serve with a nice sausage and braised red cabbage. Tuna "salad', a small tin of tuna, a spoonful of mayo, 2 soft(ish) boiled eggs, a bit of chopped onion, herbs - mash together and serve on a bed of lettuce.

momma1, Feb 7, 4:16am
fettacini. slice of ham or bacon, onion, garlic, tomato (fresh, puree, tinned or paste) couple of mushrooms, cream. packet of pasta. if you have salad ingredients make one. and pick up cheap yesterdays bread (or make a loaf)

cabbagefan, Feb 7, 4:18am
home brand tinned corn,89 cents,bit of milk,flour,baking powder and .cheap as corn fritters wih home made coleslaw.

momma1, Feb 7, 4:18am
quiche, stir fry without meat, butter chicken minus chicken (i use cubed potatoes), nachos, even spag bol. depends on how many you're serving and what you have in cupboard, garden or fridge

dibble35, Feb 8, 1:25am
momma thats a good idea for the butter chicken/potato. I love this curry but only have it now and then because of the price of the chicken - I wait till the skinless thighs! come up on special and take the bone out myself. I'm assuming it would be precooked potatoes then cubed!

ruby19, Feb 8, 5:49am
Green split peas soup.This is amazing since there are so little ingredients. Also very economical!1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil 2 large onions, chopped 1.5 cups dried split green peas, picked over and rinsed 5 cups water 2-3 tsp vegata vegetable stock powder* a few pinches of smoked paprikaAdd olive oil to a big pot over med-high heat. Stir in onions cook until the onions soften, just a minute or two. Add the split peas and waterand paprika. Bring to a boil, turn down the heat, and simmer for 20 minutes, or until the peas are cooked through. Puree the soup that is still remaining in the pot. If you need to thin the soup out with more water (or stock) do so a bit at a time. Season to taste. * I add 2 tsp of stock powder to the water to start, then taste at the end and add a little more powder if needed to enhance the flavour. You can add lemon juice at end if like

ruby19, Feb 8, 5:49am
Green split peas soup.This is amazing since there are so little ingredients. Also very economical!1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil 2 large onions, chopped 1.5 cups dried split green peas, picked over and rinsed 5 cups water 2-3 tsp vegata vegetable stock powder* a few pinches of smoked paprikaAdd olive oil to a big pot over med-high heat. Stir in onions cook until the onions soften, just a minute or two. Add the split peas and water and paprika. Bring to a boil, turn down the heat, and simmer for 20 minutes, or until the peas are cooked through. Puree the soup that is still remaining in the pot. If you need to thin the soup out with more water (or stock) do so a bit at a time. Season to taste. * I add 2 tsp of stock powder to the water to start, then taste at the end and add a little more powder if needed to enhance the flavour. You can add lemon juice at end if like

momma1, Feb 9, 11:39pm
Dibble. yes, i usually use a chicken breast for 5 of us, cube the chicken up and cook, then towards end of cooking time I add enough cubed cooked potatoes to make it a full meal for us all. but if on a budget i can't see why you could make it fully potato/ maybe kumera etc.

dibble35, Feb 9, 11:40pm
Thanks momma, have some chicken in the freezer so will try half and half

uli, Feb 10, 5:52am
Sophie Gray has a NZ cookbook with meals under 10 dollars which feed 2 to 4 people, depending on recipe.

100+ Tasty Ten Dollar Meals By Sophie Gray

http://www.fishpond.co.nz/Books/100-Tasty-Ten-Dollar-Meals-Sophie-Gray/9781869793265

Currently on special for 30 dollars and supposedly also in stock.

uli, Feb 10, 5:56am
While I personally do not agree on their take what is "healthy" (I wouldn't go for 6 servings of grains and bread and pasta etc per day - nor go for the heart tick options as they often have huge amounts of sugar in them - which incidentally is not good for your heart) this little booklet can be a help to people who need some budgeting advice and some concrete recipes to cook by:

http://www.workandincome.govt.nz/documents/the-great-little-cookbook.pdf

elsha00, Feb 11, 10:32pm

vintagekitty, Feb 11, 11:24pm
But when you have x amount of $$$'s of course you are going to go to cheap, filling food.

uli, Feb 12, 1:09am
Yep you do vintagekitty - and you love to point that out because you love to live on bread, pasta, rice etc - all of which you need to BUY! And later in life most people will get sick - diabetes, cancer, etc etc.

When I was a poor student I grew a garden on an unbuilt on section in the village where I boarded. It cost me a bottle of wine per year to the person that owned it - they were amused about my efforts.

I had all the fresh food I needed and wanted all year round - for the cost of a new hoe, a digging fork and a few hand tools plus seeds (=approx. $100).

I had thousands of meals for $1 or $2 :)

vintagekitty, Feb 12, 3:09am
Cool story, needs more unicorns though

elliehen, Feb 12, 5:29am
A déjà vu story.The word 'village' has been added this time round to counter the criticism from someone last time that it is set in a country far, far away from New Zealand.