Is Risotto a meal in itself?

fee1965, Nov 22, 3:01am
I havea chicken and chorizo recipe, but i am feeding burly men - do i need to serve it with something or on it's own?I have never made true risotto before but this recipe looks easy, it's fried 1st then baked in oven til ready.

carbon_trader, Nov 22, 3:21am
if done properly? YES!

cookessentials, Nov 22, 3:24am
It certainly is. The risotto you have there is different from a traditional italian risotto which has hot stock added to the arborio rice, giving you a thick, almost porridge texture ( for want of a better word!)

uli, Nov 22, 6:01am
For "burly men" it will be a meal in itself - others might want a salad to accompany it though :)

socram, Nov 22, 6:09am
Burly men eating salad?Shudders...

jandgaitken, Nov 22, 6:11am
The risotto I make IS hot stock added to aborio rice (or sometimes vialone rice if I can get it) so I'm not sure what you mean by the "risotto you have here".

jandgaitken, Nov 22, 6:12am
re cookessentials, just had a thought: perhaps you mean that packaged "rice risotto", in which case I agree with you! It's about as close to real rice risotto as a Big Mac is to being an actual burger!

uli, Nov 22, 6:14am
Speed reading?

I said
"For "burly men" it will be a meal in itself - OTHERS might want a salad to accompany it though :)"

cookessentials, Nov 22, 6:38am
See post #1..this is the one my answer was for as it is fried first and baked in the oven.

kuaka, Nov 22, 7:28am
my "burly" hubby would consider it just a side dish at best, (dog tucker at worst) as he is a definite meat, spud and 3 veg man, and would definitely not consider sitting down to a main meal of "just risotto" - might depend on the ages of the burly men, younger ones being more receptive to what my other half refers to as "foreign foods".

socram, Nov 22, 8:20pm
I did read it correctly!

I would happily eat the risotto as a main but shun cold salads as a side dish to a hot main (in fact, I shun most salads anyway...).

As the risotto has varied textures (chicken and chorizo etc.) then a large portion would be fine by me.Same as any pasta dishes really. A large pasta dish with just an oily, pesto type dressing, ora risotto light on ingredients, no thanks.

As a rough rule of thumb, the larger the portion, the more textures and varied tastes required so that kuaka's other half effectively gets the meat and two veg (or two meats and one veg even) - but cut up and wrapped up together with a sauce!

kuaka, Nov 22, 8:23pm
yes, that's true socram, but he would still want potatoes with it, either mashed or chips!!!No accounting for taste I guess.

cookessentials, Nov 22, 10:48pm
My "burly" husband finds it the perfect meal. He just loves either my field mushroom and blue cheese risotto or my asparagus risotto which is very filling.

rosathemad, Nov 23, 7:11am
We often make risotto as our whole meal - my other half eats non-stop and it does him fine. We try to pack it with veges - pumpkin, peas, spinach, mushrooms, asparagus (not all at once, various combinations of the above though!) to keep it healthier but it definitely fills you up. :-)

nik12, Aug 30, 2:59am
I find a bit of bread and butter on the side keeps my 'burly ones' happy.It's all in their heads that they won't be full without spuds or bread I recon, but if I want them to eat something slightly 'abnormal' - to them I'll compromise.
In saying that though there is something about squidgy white bread with the butter melting off because of the warm pasta/rice etc ;-) Or is that just me?!