What meal can you make for $5

Page 1 / 3
benard_black, Jan 11, 1:33am
I challenge you to feed 4 people

benard_black, Jan 11, 1:43am
no ideas aye.thort as mucj\hg

valentino, Jan 11, 2:16am
Fresh Mussles in Shell and Fresh cobs of corn, getting close to that price range.

The obvious one is "Omelettes" or oversized Egg Omelette - Pancakes combos with a little bit of chopped onion and perhaps a wee bit of something savoury like a wee bit of finely chopped salami, or other such continental styled bangers.

Just thinking.

ant_sonja, Jan 11, 2:18am
Are you going shopping with $5 only and have nothing else food wise to use up or do you have existing pantry ingredients on hand! i can think of a few dishes but not sure what you are envisaging. Might help to know what foods/ingredients you have available already and go from there.

fisher, Jan 11, 2:22am
Looks like you guys are gonna starve. huh.and some schooling wouldn't go amiss.:}

miri_s, Jan 11, 2:37am
Pumpkin soup (or similar) made with homemade stock (bones are cheap), served with bread and a fresh rocket salad picked from garden.

sossie1, Jan 11, 2:41am
I am making potato salad with spuds, carrots, spring onions, parsley, chives from the garden, eggs from the chickens.
mince was just under $5.00, however i am adding store bought spices.

Winter we grow pumpkins (well we don't actually, they just grow on their own from around the compost heap)

valentino, Jan 11, 2:45am
Yes to some schooling . and Attitude needs to be looked at, also long term overall planning of . !

kob, Jan 11, 4:13am
budgeting thread has heaps of recipes and costing and there are a few there that come under the $5 mark,thats the ''who needs a budget me'' search for it in the search engine on left

lythande1, Jan 11, 6:23am
I can do that, but it's the way I shop, not to mention making nearly everything rather than buying things in jars and packets and so on.
Where do you want me to start , I could give you heaps, but then it all depends on like ant_sonja said, are we doing this with $5 at a supermarket, are we using existing stuff, what.

redwallet, Jan 11, 6:28am
Mac cheese, lots of mac, less cheese, and onion. cheap and tasty.

mamaa, Jan 11, 6:46am
Forthe first time in my life I chucked in some potatos that had sprouted months ago.I put them in the garden about 3 months ago.And tonight we had lovely fresh pototos and mint that just grows all over the place and a piece of rump steak that had been discounted at the supermarket to $4.Ready to use,but more than enough for 2 of us.

motorbo, Jan 11, 7:04am
thats not much money so i would probably make fresh pasta, with a tomatoe based sauce with any herbs i could afford and money thats left would be spent on mince or sausages to add more flavour, couldnt really add even homemade bread or salad to that unless u take the meat away.so then homemade bread and vege based pasta

zambesi2, Jan 11, 7:08am
Pasta is a cheap meal for any amount of people.You can throw almost anything into it and it will work.

bbq-bro, Jan 11, 7:12am
$5-loaf of luncheon sandwiches for 4 peeps.$2 bread $3 luncheon
or $3 hot chips & $2 bread.Hot chips sandwiches for 4 lol.

frances1266, Jan 11, 7:13am
Post 213 on page 5 of the Easy & tasty vegetarian thread is surprisingly good, quick and cheap.It is for rolled oat sausages/patties.Bit late for tonight prob but someone else might like to try it.Will bump up the thread.

flutterby08, Jan 11, 7:40am
$5!

Srambled/poached/fried eggs on toast.
Frittata.
A large stirfry (using a packet or two of cheap noodles to bulk it out)
Soup
Porridge for breakfast.
A large salad.
Roast vegetable medley.

cgvl, Jan 11, 8:05am
he's a stirrer, came across him in a general thread.

picxie, Jan 11, 8:10am
Red lentil dahl with rice . quick, easy, tasty and filling.

duckmoon, Jan 11, 9:05am
Pasta, tinned tomatoes, chopped ham ends (ends are cheaper than the slices)

Potatoes served with a cheese sauce (is that oak hill potatoes)

We call cauliflower cheese a meal, depending on the price of cauliflowers of course

Vege curry

gerry64, Jan 11, 10:18am
I have just started using orzo -which is only $1 over here in Oz -is a great base for many cheap dishes - can of tuna - baby spinach - cherry tomatoes-olive oil and a cup of cooked orzo - which is about a quarter of a packet - my old boy loves it

kuaka, Jan 11, 10:30am
Corn cobs wouldn't go far - they were $1 each the other day at the supermarket ($1.50 each a couple of weeks back) - wouldn't leave much to spend on the rest of the meal.I can't believe the price of corn this year.

fisher, Jan 11, 10:30am
exactly. why bother . he wont be back in this thread saying thank you. hence my remarks in post #6

tich50, Jan 11, 10:39am
ioftenmakechickpeacurry.tinchickpeas,onion, potatoesand spices.withrice.ialwaysthinkthattobeaneconomicalmeal.Hubbymakesa beautifulcurrywithit.

uli, Feb 5, 5:15am
Not anymore - since he is now disabled LOL :)

BUT - who CAN do a $5 meal without resorting to "cheap carbs" like rice and pasta to fill the "gap"!

Give us some examples of "healthy" food.
You know the stuff without bar codes on!