PROPER OATMEAL, NOT ROLLED OATS

helen149, Jan 9, 12:23am
Does anyone know where I can find some in NZ!It is what my Mum used to make our porridge with in Scotland. Thanks

bunny51, Jan 9, 12:38am
IS that the same as oat bran! I have seen that in the supermarket with the tolled oats. (Or it might have been in the baking aisle with the bran, ) Fairly sureI have seen oat meal in some health food shops and organic shops.

cookessentials, Jan 9, 12:51am
Harraways do traditional oats in a large bag.

cookessentials, Jan 9, 1:14am
http://www.harraways.co.nz/products/organic-oats.htmlIts the organic one second down from the top.

pickles7, Jan 9, 1:53am
Are you talking about, creamoata!.

msfit1, Jan 9, 2:23am
i get these yummy steel cut oats from simply foods (formerly bin inn) in my town. they have not been rolled flat, but are in the shape of small grains then cut up. also known here as kibbled oats.

davidt4, Jan 9, 2:23am
I take it that the original poster is looking for oatmeal, not whole oats.

In the Auckland supermarkets that I go to the oatmeal is shelved next to the baking goods, not with breakfast cereals.If you cannot find it in your supermarket you can buy it from Huckleberry Farms by mail order .http://www.huckleberryfarms.co.nz/shop/Baking+%26+Cooking/Baking+Additives/Dry+Additives/Lotus+Oatmeal+Fine.html

gardie, Jan 9, 2:29am
Oatmeal is generally available from Bin Inn shops.It is quite a different product to other oat products and although the Bin Inn one isn't quite like the real old fashionedoatmeal, it does suffice.Christmas isn't Christmas in our house without mealie pudding!I guessing that huckleberry farms one will be good too though if you're happy to let your fingers do the buying!

cookessentials, Jan 9, 2:35am
Yes, they still make real NZ oatmeal from real NZ oats, I rang them and checked. Their web site is http://www.harraways.co.nz/. They don't really do retail sales though they will do orders of 10kg from the factory. Or check with your local health food shop. Taken from the ODT. I have emailed Harraways to ask if it is available through them.

cookessentials, Jan 9, 3:51am
helen149, I have heard back from Barbara at Harraways, she has asked where you are as they may be able to help. I have told her Darfield.I hope that was correct! she will come back to me shortly.

cookessentials, Jan 9, 6:08pm
Hopefully will hear from Harraways today helen149

cookessentials, Jan 9, 8:21pm
Hi Helen, here is the answer from Harraways.

"We dont sell oatmeal as a retail line but do produce it for commercial
customers so my only thought is that your customer could try Davis Trading
in Christchurch - we do supply them with the product and they may be able to
sell it - worth a try!"

Cheers, Barb

ange164, Jan 9, 8:43pm
I dont' *know* what oatmeal is. But if indeed it is more or less creamota - as you say it is hard to find - I purchase quick cook rolled oats and run them through my blender to make a fine grind which acts the same as creamota did.

helen149, Jan 10, 2:21am
yip I have seen oatbran too, but oatmeal is actually a wee bit bigger and coarser.Oatbran is like a fine oatmeal.Thank you anyway. :-)

cookessentials, Jan 10, 2:22am
I take it you saw post# helen149!

helen149, Jan 10, 2:23am
Are you from Scotland too!I just love mealie puddings.

helen149, Jan 10, 2:25am
Cookessentials - you are wonderful, thank you so much for that!

cookessentials, Jan 10, 3:25am
No problem. if you have any problems, then Barbara at Harraways is the lady to talk to.

bininn2009, Jan 16, 8:49am
Hi Helen
Just a quick note to let you know that Bin Inn stores stock 4 types of oats;
1) Quick cook rolled oats - great for porridge
2) Jumbo oats - ideal for muesli and baking
3) Oatmeal - this seems to be the one you are after. This is Harraways.
4) Oat Bran - tends to be used more in baking
These 4 types should be available from most Bin Inn stores in the self selection bins so perhaps buy just a tiny amount to test out your Mum's Scottish Porridge recipe first before buying a lot but I believe it is Oatmeal that you are after. Regards Bin Inn

bella430, Jan 17, 8:25am
I purchased a 1kg bag of Harraways Traditional Wholegrain oats at Countdown Northlands in Christchurch last week.

gardie, Jan 17, 6:01pm
My Mum was from Aberdeen.Mealie pudding is the best but with suet being so expensive, we only have it on special occasions.Both my Mum and Nana have passed now but my sisters and I all make this for our families - I do hope that our children continue the tradition.Nice to meet someone who actually knows what it is.Met a family from Glasgow who hadn't heard of it - they were from the 'posh' side - perhaps that makes a difference lol.

helen149, Jan 18, 7:08am
I am from Aberdeen too.wonder if there is a butcher in NZ that can make them!
I had a wee giggle about the 'posh' side bit! lol