Steel cut oats

jen211, Apr 11, 12:04am
Does anyone know where I can purchase steel cut oats in Auckland.

buzzy110, Apr 11, 12:23am
jen I see this is the second time you have asked about these so I looked them up. They look exactly like kibbled grains to me. If that is what they are, and I am by no means certain, then they should be available at a good health food shop. In Auckland we have Ceres and Huckleberry farms that sell a full range of kibbled, organic grains. I have some and as by chance I have them already soaking to be included in my next loaf of mixed grain sour dough bread.

jen211, Apr 11, 12:55am
Thank you, but I have been told it is different to kibbled grains. I have been most the organic and health food stores on the North Shore. One place in Albany has them advertised on line but say they can not get any more from the suppliers until the end of April

buzzy110, Apr 11, 1:07am
OK. Sorry I couldn't be much more help. Next time I go to Huckleberry farms I'll check anyway. I need some rye flour for a pure rye sour dough bread I have just acquired a recipe for.

Mind you the staff at Huckleberry Farms are not very knowledgeable about anything. Often when I ask for something the normal response is, "what?". I want to box their ears.

May I ask what you are going to do with your steel cut oats? It sounds interesting. I have just bought some kin-koji grains to ferment grains and make them intensely sweet so that I don't have to add sugar to my baking. The steel cut oats sound like they could be a goer for my experiments.

jen211, Apr 11, 1:12am
I have just read about a lot about them in magazines recently, and people seem to think that they are much better and filling than porridge. Just thought I like to give it a try. I have been onto the Ceres and Huckleberry website but can't see any there. Kin-koji grains sound brilliant, not having to use sugar would be great.

buzzy110, Apr 11, 1:21am
Huckleberry farms do a toasted buckwheat groat, which I think would also fit the parameters you are trying to meet - more healthy than other, normal processed grains. Siberian Russians have been eating this stuff for centuries, especially during their long frigid winters and they seem to have thrived and stayed relatively slim. I've made it, but not for a long time. You could try that as your porridge. It has rather a nice nutty flavour. Mainly I use it in my sour dough breads now.

jen211, Apr 11, 1:31am
Thanks a lot for your help and suggestions. I will try the buckwheat groat.

buzzy110, Apr 13, 3:09am
Hi jen. I went searching, like I promised and here is what I found:

First the whole oat grain, minus the husk are referred to as Groats! (Don't ask me why) All the grains sold usually come without the husk.

Second Kibbled Oats are sometimes called Steel-Cut or Irish Oats.

The second piece of information I garnered from the Huckleberry Farms Real Food Ideas give away that sits beside the till. (I had to read through their library before I found this).

Joe Rich, Huckleberry Farms Greenlane writes - "When you shop for oats, you'll notice a few different varieties:

Jumbo Rolled Oats - Whole oat groats that have been steamed and rolled flat.
They are thicker, heartier and chewier than Quick Cooking Oats. They digest slowly, keeping you satisfied longer.

Quick Cooking Oats - are the thinnest or most finely flaked oats.

Whole Oat Groats - are the actual whole grain. These are particularly nice and creamy when prepared by overnight cooking in a crock pot.

Kibbled Oats are sometimes called Steel-Cut or Irish Oats. They are whole oat groats that have been hulled and cut down into smaller pieces with a blade. These delicious, coarsely cut oats are wonderful soaked overnight and cooked until tender on the stove, about 30 to 40mins.

I hope this is helpful for you.

buzzy110, Apr 13, 3:10am
I forgot to mention yesterday that the buckwheat groat is called Kasha.

buzzy110, Apr 15, 1:07am
bump in case jen comes back

jen211, Apr 15, 1:50am
Thank you so much Buzzy. It is very kind of you to get the info for me. I really appreicate it and thanks again.