Denheath custard squares

witchy-woman, Jan 5, 12:15pm
what do you think is the secret to the fluffy custard filling!

cookessentials, Jan 5, 7:06pm
Hard to say, they do have quite a different taste to your usual custard square. They seem to be highly whipped as they are very light. I really enjoy them ( not that I have them very often!)

eastie3, Jan 5, 8:30pm
Is it cream cheese! I seem to remember reading this somewhere.

cookessentials, Jan 5, 10:51pm
Not sure if it's cream cheese or not eastie, they almost have a slightly mousse like texture.

marcs, Apr 19, 10:25am
I have finally figured it out. It is instant custard powder. Not the ones you get in the shops to make custard with. Bakeries and commercial places can get them in big bags so you may want to ask them. The closest I think you can get is the instant vanilla pudding (cottees brand here in Auz but I find that slightly salty). The custard is then beaten with thickened cream and layered on. I love choux pastry rather than puff pastry and sandwiched together. Make two flat pieces of pastry.

torichic, Apr 20, 2:45am
its 2 pkts vanilla instant pudding.300ml cream and 300ml milk ,,,beat all together 6-8 mins,,,this is the closest thing to the dunheath,,,deeevinnneee!

kiwiscrapper1, Apr 20, 3:44am
x1
I have never had Denheaths but here in kapiti there is a shop called rays pies and fries and they have the most delicous custard squares(they have always been my favourite) I restrict myself to once a week creamy deep custard and iced with pasionfruit icing, just had one today for brunch they are so big that it fills me for the day!

jaybee6, May 5, 10:00am
actually it is sour cream.

babytears, May 5, 10:22am
The mix for these custard squares is a product called 'Kramess' - the only place I know to buy it from is Trent wholesalers and only comes in a 5 kg bag as far as I know

tigerlilly16, May 5, 11:05am
The lady who makes Denheath used to chat on foodlovers mbs all the time so you could try there

missrat, May 17, 3:28am
We have noticed lately that the yummy Denheath custard squares we used to love are no longer so delicious. Couple of weeks ago we bough at MeridianMall in Dunedin, where we always have and they were not fluffy and were somewhat tasteless.The bottom layer of pastry was rubbery and soggy also.Anyone else noticed this!

seano7, May 17, 4:17am
the secret is egg yolks in the custard you beat them in while making your custard.

macandrosie, May 18, 2:58am
I agree with you marcs, I think it's the Cottees Vanilla Instant Pudding mix that they use, however it doesn't seem to be in supermarkets in NZ anymore.

marcs, May 18, 9:28am
I live in Auz so still get the cottees Vanilla Pudding mix however at the restaurant I bake for I use instant custard powder (no cooking required) for the same recipe. It turns out more custardy in flavour and very yum. Prefer the vanilla pudding though.

guest, Feb 5, 2:03am
These are fantastic. Have been buying them for such a long time now. Would also love to know how to make them. 'How to make a light and fluffy custard?