Needing a good easy recipe for fondant.

bodacious-, Jan 5, 5:29am
and any useful helpful tips.I'd like to learn how to decorate cool cakes and from what I've learnt so far, it is fondant icing that's used for most cakes these days.

tjman, Jan 5, 5:37am
Thought about signing up for a class!They can do some good ones at your local college.I, on the other hand, dont have the eye, hand co-ordination for that.My sister can.we can have it all thought eh!

bodacious-, Jan 5, 6:03am
Yes I'd be very happy to do a class.Just eager to start learning now and I'm not aware of any evening classes at high school yet (apparently they had some last term.I have 3 little boys you would love interesting birthday cakes but all I end up doing is buying a cake icing transfer which is a bit boring really :-)

chicco2, Jan 5, 7:17am
I wouldnt bother trying to make fondant. The best fondant is Satin Ice. I have used Bakels from the supermarket for years, but Satin Ice beats it hands down.
Try going to You Tube Satin Ice. Lots of helpful tips. You Tube fondant Icing also.
Spotlight stock it Nelson, but not sure of stockists down your way. It is available on Trademe, but shipping makes it expensive.

bodacious-, Jan 5, 7:42am
Thanks for the tip.Would you say that most cake decorators buy the fondant instead of making it themselves!

cookessentials, Jan 5, 7:43am
Wilton also do ready made fondant.

shop-a-holic, Jan 5, 7:47am
Even for experienced and professional bakers, they don't make fondant, they buy it.
Nothing on the planet beats Satin Ice. I can be expensive, so don't buy it yet.
This time of year, you can buy fondant and un-iced xmas cake stock marked down by at least 50% from most supermarket shelves. (As its the end of Xmas).
It's a great way to practice, and an opportunity to present an item for birthdays or occasions a little more down the calendar year.

The above is my best advice. I;ve seen Satin Ice in stores in Wellington between $29.00 for a plain 1kg pot to a whooping $38.00-$42.00 for other pots.It's expensive, so I suggest a wee practice first.

1/2 kg of fondant in the supermarket maybe $4-5 dollars.

Colouring Fondant: Don't talk to your hairdresser, create a new topic here as there are a number of people who can help you with this. I recommend gel colours; but that's another subject.

shop-a-holic, Jan 5, 7:48am
Darling.no offence.it tastes ugly.

bodacious-, Jan 5, 7:53am
ouch - I had no idea how expensive the fondant is to buy.I think I'll definitely be practising on a less expensive shop one before I buy the Satin Ice :-)Thanks for the advise.

mums.toys, Jan 5, 8:01am
the pettinice fondant icing that you buy from countdown is perfectly fine it ranges in price from $4-7 depending on specials etc. i tried making my own fondant and it is a nightmare.very occasionally i have had packets that have 'crusty' dried bits in it but they are great to deal with you can phone them direct they will replace it (and some extras) also phone them direct for bulk especially if you want the choc or ivory ones as most supermarkets dont stock it they will courier it straight to your door

bodacious-, Jan 5, 8:07am
Thanks 'mums.toys'I'll enjoy looking for these fondants in the supermarket.

bodacious-, Jan 5, 8:08am
If you're sticking flowers or layers of fondant onto each other, what do you recommend for this!

mums.toys, Jan 5, 8:12am
plain old water, egg white

mums.toys, Jan 5, 8:18am
lol thats great debbie brown is one of my inspirations too!

bodacious-, Jan 5, 8:31am
wow - what a cool cake maker you are 'shop-a-holic'.Makes me want to get started on a cake now :-)How long does it normally take you to complete a cake decoration!I'm thinking it can take a few days- does that sound about right!

shop-a-holic, Jan 5, 8:39am
These pics are for your inspiration. :-)
Each cake takes around 3 hours to decorate, not including coffee breaks or making the actual cake.
And depending on the fondant, and climatic conditions, you'll just need to place the cake to dry for 2 maybe 3 days to firm up.
After that, cover in a large oven bag, tie and secure; and stored in a cool place or pantry shelf out of sunlight and will last indefinitely.
My best wishes.doll and we all want pics I've your next project.
Happy New Year

bodacious-, Jan 5, 8:48am
Thanks for all the advice & inspiration :-)
PS - so do you mix the water & egg white for the 'glue' or is it one or the other!

chicco2, Jan 5, 9:44pm
You can melt a blob of fondant in a little boiling water, stir till lump free and this makes a great glue for sticking fondant to cake and fondant flowers etc to iced cake. Do check out you tube. there are some great tutorials on there.