Using porterhouse steak for a casserole

___ellajac___, Jan 2, 12:01am
x1
I have been given 8 big slices of porterhouse steak.Although I absolutely love steak, at present I am having difficulty chewing it.

Any tips on turning it into a casserole (I have red wine, beef stock, suitable veges and recipes) - or would it go dry if stewed!

TIA

uli, Jan 2, 12:50am
Uhh - I really wouldn't stew it - why not freeze it until you can chew again!

If stewed it will be just as tough for you to chew.

So why not use mince from the supermarket until you can really enjoy those lovely steak!

___ellajac___, Jan 2, 12:52am
Thanks uli - I rather suspected that.I can easily freeze it - just wasn't sure how it would turn out if casseroled as I have never done that to porterhouse.

lcscott, Jan 2, 12:52am
what porterhouse in cassarole you got to be kidding what a waste of a good steak

nfh1, Jan 2, 12:53am
x3
My Mum always uses Porterhouse for casserole (Dad has same problem with chewing).She just pops it in the oven with onions and stock - sometimes adds potatoes, it is always lovely.She cooks it for longer than I would as they like it 'falling apart' but it is never dry.

___ellajac___, Jan 2, 1:14am
x1
Oh that is good to hear nfh1. Thankyou.

___ellajac___, Jan 2, 1:15am
x1
Did you read my opening post properly!

ant_sonja, Jan 2, 1:19am
I wouldn't casserole it either, it should be very tender steak as is but to make it even more so you could treat it a little like a casserole.I'm thinking sear the meat in a hot pan until nice and brown on the outside and then stick it in a low oven (120deg or so) to finish cooking with a little liquid (red wine/beef stock, herbs, garlic & bay leaf) and then take it out to eat before it disintegrates as such. Don't think you would need a lot of chewing to enjoy it that way :-)

___ellajac___, Jan 2, 1:23am
That sounds nice.Have you tried it yourself!I have fresh herbs etc. and the liquids you mention.

ant_sonja, Jan 2, 1:25am
I have used rump and sirloin this way.you basically cook it on low until it is very very tender but still in one piece. Hope this makes sense :-)