Gherkins

alexi38, Dec 27, 7:56am
have about 20 gherkinsany ideas all maturing at the same time how do you preserve these

wildflower, Dec 28, 3:06am
2c white vinegar,
1-2 c sugar
1 T whole pickling spice

Cover gherkins with boiling water, drain and repeat 3 times.After the last time rub the prickles off the outside and pack into a steralized jar.Add the 1 T pickling spice.Boil the vinegar and sugar and pour over and seal.

These taste a whole lot better than store bought.I use the lesser amount of sugar and they turn out really well and don't go as soft as bought ones.

This recipe courtesey of 2011 NZ Gardener Garden Diary.

angel404, Dec 28, 3:12am
this may be dumb a$$ of me, but can u grow an actual gherkin! i thought gherkins were pickled cucumbers!

davidt4, Dec 28, 3:57am
You're right that gherkins are pickled cucumbers, but there are a few varieties of cucumber that produce very small fruit, and these are grown especially for gherkins.

wildflower, Dec 29, 2:59am
Last year I grew only gherkins but I missed a few that got big so I ate them as cucumbers.This year I'm growing both.Same family, look the same as they grow etc but McGregors do an actual gherkin seed.

angel404, Dec 29, 7:53am
ooooh i might plant them next year then! do u plant them same time as other summer veggies!

uli, Dec 29, 7:58am
Gherkins are small unripe cucumbers which are pickled.

uli, Dec 29, 8:00am
I grow only gherkins (a very old french variety) - when small they get fermented or pickled. When bigger they end up in cucumber salads or Greek salads or Tzatziki.