Guacamole recipe!

Page 9 / 11
cookessentials, Dec 27, 4:38am
Hi. Anyone got a good recipe for guacamole to be used as a dip! Thanks.

agave1 (90 )10:00 am, Fri 23 Dec #1

evorotorua, Dec 27, 4:43am
Esther Lederer: “Hanging onto resentment is letting someone you despise live rent-free in your head.”

yjeva, Dec 27, 4:46am
It is amazing how some people choose to spend their holidays isn't it!

lyl_guy, Dec 27, 5:16am
Gosh, what a diatribe!It's guacamole. to be used as a DIP for goodness sake!Nothing more, nothing less.This whole MB is for people to give THEIR versions and variations as they wish. for any recipe.You need to get some sort of perspective on all of this. you're sounding very anal about something very simple, at the end of the day.
Edit to add:If you had it your way, every thread would have only ONE reply.The very first, very original, very authentic recipe for the thread starter. and NO other replies or variations.What kind of MB would THAT be!

elliehen, Dec 27, 5:17am
And now for something (almost) completely different :)

Blue Cheese Guacamole

2 Large, Room Temperature Avocados – cut into small pieces
Juice of 1 Lime
1/4 Cup Blue Cheese at Room Temperature – crumbled
Handful of Jalapeno Peppers – diced
1 Roma Tomato – diced (optional)
1 Tbsp. Onion Powder
1 Tbsp. chopped Cilantro
1 Tbsp. Cumin
Salt and Pepper to Taste
Combine everything and mash to desired consistency – simple as that!

elliehen, Dec 27, 5:20am
.and a health warning!

Anaphylaxis related to avocado ingestion: a case and review.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3127795/

lyl_guy, Dec 27, 5:21am
I enjoy cooks who use their imagination and come up with different ideas.What a boring culinary world it would be if we all stuck to ONE recipe.Imagine that!

alpinestar, Dec 27, 5:41am
I like a good sh*tfight
I mean dip

richard198, Dec 27, 6:01am
The "slanging match" as you call it began when you told me off for daring to have an opinion about Tagine cooking when I wasn't even Morroccan.
As for this thread, the request was for guacamole not avocado dip.
I thought I would point that out to the posters who might then be better informed. I also don't like it with those additives and was saying so. I will continue to say so if I feel like it. Get used to it.
Make sure you don't make any mistakes when you post you recipes or you might get "told off"!

cookessentials, Dec 27, 6:19am
This thread was for guacamole dip, not tagines or are you going to drag "snippets" from every thread into this one too! If I were you, I would read what you actually SAID about tagines when you rubbished what I said before you make out that you were "told off" I find it rather strange that for someone who has only been posting in recipes this month, you seem to "know" many of the nasties and seem very "informed" about me! perhaps you are not who some think you are! I think that eastie may have very well been correct. As for people "getting used to it" in regards to your very rude "yuck" comments! well, what can I say! Sad you have such an "attitude" Lets hope that you can offer someone helpto those who ask for it without making them feel so inadequate as you did at the beginning of this thread.

cookessentials, Dec 27, 6:20am
uli wrote:

I am glad that "People here know how I am" or in this case of quoting you - how YOU are.
And I am equally glad that they have no clue how or even who I AM!

And I also have nothing to hide LOL :)

One day I might wander into the non-existent cook shop of yours and buy something - and you wouldn't even know it was me.

And now back to the Guacamole.

So which one was the "real" - the "authentic" recipe!

"Diejenigen, die ständig im Krieg mit anderen sind nur selten in Frieden mit sich."

Translated to say:
"Those who are constantly at war with others are seldom at peace with themselves."

uli, Dec 27, 7:04am
Not sure - I always loved it in Italy to go into any pizzeria - ordering "Quattro stagione" and getting the lovely pizza I expected.

Not a scone dough with the leftovers from the back of the fridge on top . but a lovely 4 seasons pizza . with a very thin crispy yeast dough and exactly that on top that I expected. not sure if that is a "a boring culinary world."!

cookessentials, Dec 27, 7:19am
yes and imagine if quatro stagione was the ONLY sort you could have! and "nothing else"

solsticer, Dec 27, 7:26am
Cookie & Richie upin a tree C-O-O-K-I-N-G
first comes holy
then comes moley
and here they come covered in guacamole!

cookessentials, Dec 27, 7:39am
Yes, and just imagine if that was the ONLY one you could get and "nothing else"
Luckily there are many variants of "traditional" Italian Pizza and each region has it's own "take"

cookessentials, Dec 27, 7:40am
Mmmm a -1!

miri_s, Dec 27, 7:45am
How do you think the blimmin thing was invented in the first place!That the first man slithered out of the ocean with his book of "authentic" recipes.No!People take risks, try new ideas, make use of the seasonal ingredients they have at hand.Every household will have a different variation of a theme.I'd really love to know how you qualify whether a recipe is authentic or not.In Italy there are many different styles of pizza bases, often regionally influenced, with some leaning to thin and crisp Napoli styles, with other chefs favouring a base closer to focaccia - especially in Basilicata.Toppings, likewise, will vary.

cookessentials, Dec 27, 7:49am
Halleleujah.thank you Miri_s.very well said.

lyl_guy, Dec 27, 7:49am
You're not in Italy now. or Mexico.You're on a message board in New Zealand.Get a grip on reality!I'm sure you'll enjoy the place a lot more.If you want perfect authenticity, you're in the wrong place.I would say "You're not in Guatamala now Dr Ropata" but I don't think you'd understand the reference.

cookessentials, Dec 27, 8:04am
Now, I do note that for all the "Authentic" posters, not ONE of you have given the correct way of making "your guacamole" Now, if you were so pedantic about "authentic" you would not be "mashing with a fork" that is "un-authentic" surely!
I would have thought that with your vast knowledge of the culinary world that you would at LEAST have mentioned the molcajete! as this IS the "proper" and "authentic" way to make your guacamole. They are made from lava stone and you will need to season/prepare the molcajete using rice.Traditionally, the guacamole is also served in the molcajete. Mostgood specialty cookware stores sell them.

lyl_guy, Dec 27, 8:13am
Hmmm. well done cooks. you've taught us the RIGHT way!Now to find a molcajete, so I feel I'm not an "ill informed, provincial" cook any longer!

cookessentials, Dec 27, 8:34am
3 small avocados
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 1/2 tablespoons lime juice
60ml sour cream
1/4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 medium tomato, peeled, seeded, chopped
1/2 small red Spanish onion, finely chopped

Place avocados in bowl, mash roughly with a fork; stir in remaining ingredients

Your answer to my post. So lets get a little honest here. What you give out, you get back, simple really.

cookessentials, Dec 27, 8:36am
Thats easy lyl_guy.goodspecialty cookware stores, of course.! You might be interested to see this "version" of traditional guacamole by famous Mexican ChefRoberto Santibanez.who, by the way, is the author of a great cookbook called "Truly Mexican"

Chef Santibanez prepared a Pineapple and Cucumber Guacamole right there in front of our eyes. It took him about five minutes to surprise and pamper us with his exquisite variation of the traditional guacamole that everyone knows and loves. This delicacy also had the perfect balance of flavors--sweet and sour, refreshing and tasty. Once again, you can taste each ingredient and enjoy the balance of the flavors and how they combine on your palate. The acid of the pineapple in this guacamole gives the dish its punch and ensures it will not discolor as fast as traditional guacamoles. It will be great for warm evenings with drinks and friends.

Roberto Santibanez Pineapple and Cucumber Guacamole

Ingredients
•2 large or 3 small ripe Mexican Hass avocados, halved and pitted
•1/4 cup finely diced red onion
•2 fresh serrano or jalapeno chiles minced including seeds for more taste and spiciness
•2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice, or more to taste
•3/4 teaspoon fine salt, or 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
•1 (10 to 12 oz.) cucumber, peeled, seeded and diced (1/2 inch)
•1/4 pineapple peeled, cored, and diced (1/4 inch)
•1/4 cup chopped cilantro
Instructions

Stir together the cucumber, onion, chiles, lime juice and salt in a large bowl. Score the flesh of the avocado halves in a crosshatched pattern (not cutting through the skin) with a knife and then scoop it out with a spoon into the bowl and gently stir together (do not mash). Stir in the pineapple last so the fresh acidity is a distinct counterpoint to the avocado. Season to taste with additional chile, lime juice and salt. Transfer the guacamole to a wide dish and sprinkle the cilantro on top. Store in the refrigerator for up to 2 hours with a pice of plastic pressed against the surface. Let it come to room temperature before you serve it.

richard198, Dec 27, 8:48am
There never has been any "venom" os "nastiness" in my posts, just honest opinion with facts.

jensue, Dec 27, 9:35am
Pineapple! In Guacamole! What a heathen! Who does this bloody Santa Banez think he is! Somebody should cast nastertions on his character pronto!