How do you cook peking duck!

massey12, Dec 21, 4:22am
I was just wondering if anyone out there has a good way of cooking peking duck. I've been given 2 frozen ones and want to roast them for christmas, but would love to hear from anyone who has good ideas and recipes for marinating them.

doug64, Dec 21, 9:32am

doug64, Dec 21, 9:40am
This is a more traditional recipe

http://www.foodiesite.com/recipes/2000-02:pekduck

duckmoon, Dec 21, 11:09am
Peking duck is three different dishes.
The last dish is soup, made with the bones etc
One is served with Chinese pancakes.
One dish.I can't remember. My Chinese friends love to eat it when out. I have never been served it at the home of a Chinese friends.which makes me think it is too complicated to make at home.

But I am happy to stand corrected

richard198, Dec 21, 8:57pm
In a nutshell, dry the duck (paper towels etc.) Rub salt into skin.
Roast above oven tray with oil in it (ie on an oven shelf)
Peking duck is not marinated.
Serve crispy duck as above on rice pancakes with Hoisin sauce, spring onions and cucumber.

okydoky, Dec 22, 12:11am
I have pekin ducks and love peking duck been to Hong Kong a lot , last week actually :) i asked my butcher if he could get a marinade for duck and he got me 4 lts lol of peking duck marinade , i used a siring to pump the meaty parts and roasted it , was beautiful soft tasty meat .

massey12, Dec 25, 9:58am
Thanks for all the tips on cooking these ducks.
Having just cooked the 2 I had today, I don't think I'll do it again.
I get the impression it probably takes abit of trial and error to achieve the desired result. I was very surprised at the lack of meat on them for their size (2.25kgs each) and the fat that was in the bottom of the roasting pan at the end - I tipped it into a jug and there was 1.5 litres! My kids enjoyed it though. I guess I was just put off abit because of the fattiness of them (probably more physicological than anything).

deus701, Dec 25, 10:06am
duck fat is quite sought after in the culinary world