Christmas Mince Pie Help

shane038, Dec 18, 7:37am
HELP!I have no idea what I'm doing wrong.Have made christmas mince pies for the first time this year.The taste fab! Only problem is when I remove them from the mini muffin tin their bottoms are sticking!Yes have sprayed/buttered the bottom of the tins.I'm removing them hot is this the problem!Or am I rolling the pastry too thin!

cookessentials, Dec 18, 8:05am
Let them rest awhile before removing from the tin. The hot pastry is unstable, hence why they are breaking. Just be patient and remove when just warm and they should be fine.

sarahb5, Dec 18, 9:22am
What she said - I don't even grease my pans and they slide out leaving barely a crumb if you wait just a few minutes until the pastry and filling firms up a bit - only need to wait about 10 minutes I found today

pickles7, Dec 18, 9:42am
I remove mine straight from the oven, don't grease my tins. I think they are sticking because of the tins you are using. I use the savoury mince pie tins, not mini muffin tins. I never use my pastry fresh, way too soft.
sweet pastry
great for all cake slices, and tarts
cream 450 grams butter, and sugar.
add
2 tsp vanilla
4 eggs, 1 at a time.
sift and add 900 grams of flour with 4 tsp baking powder .
Chill pastry well. knead roll and use a quarter at a time.
This pastry freezes well, raw or cooked.

chooky, Dec 18, 9:48am
I make mine in the mini muffin tins every year, but I let them stand on a rack after taking from oven for a while before I take them out of the tins. never had a problem.

gardie, Dec 18, 5:18pm
I'm always in a hurry with quite a few batches to make so I pop a narrow strip of baking paper in each tin to help lift them out.Reuse the strips for the next batch.I did go and spend a little money a few years ago and brought one of those mini muffin trays that is metal on the top with silicon cups.The best money ever spent.Farmers stocks them as does Jo Seagar.Makes 24 at a time.

nauru, Dec 18, 7:19pm
Like others suggested, it is best to let them cool a little before turning out.
I used a silicone mini muffin tray this year and found that they baked better in that than my metal one. They also just fall out when turned upside down, after cooling a little that is.

sarahb5, Dec 18, 8:26pm
I cooked mine in a mix of mini muffin tins and old-fashioned patty pans - easier to get out of the patty pans because they're wider and flatter but they look cute in the mini muffin tins.Regular old patty pans are hard to find though, especially good quality ones.My pastry was very soft this year (usually I would refrigerate before rolling) and I used sweetened shortcrust because my filling was quite tart with the addition of dried and frozen cranberries as well as orange rind, juice and pulp.Haven't tried one yet but they look really pretty because the filling, when baked, is dark red and I have stars on the top so you can see the filling as well!

shane038, Dec 18, 10:30pm
Thank you everyone for your advice and the recipie!MERRY CHRISTMAS to you all and a happy and safe New Year.