Silverbeet is only boring if.

psy-trading, Dec 10, 10:11am
.you dont make a little effort.

After years of boiling in enough water to leech out all the goodness I decided to try something else. If only i had googled for tips earlier I might have discovered how yummy this veggie can be.

For simple and delicious enhancement - saute in a little butter with onion and ham or bacon.

No doubt many of you wise people already knew this. Just sharing with those people who don't know better. :)

next-to-normal, Dec 10, 11:53am
wrap it in a pancake with thingys is nice too, with cottage cheese

psy-trading, Dec 10, 12:28pm
I think I could get into that. Thanks.

I've just become a silverbeet gardener - don't have the time, space or inclination to grow much else. It's so easy to grow and so full of goodness - a pity it shrivels up to almost nothing which is probably why I decided to try to grow my own - I hated paying for it.

margyr, Dec 10, 6:35pm
there is also a yummy salad recipe for it I will try to find the thread and bump it for you.

margyr, Dec 10, 6:38pm
Have bumped it, but just on the left in the box headed message board, in keyword or member type silverbeet and then in the date posted click on the little arrow on the right and then last year then click search, loads of recipes.

lythande1, Dec 10, 6:51pm
Nope, disguising it with bacon or onion doesn't help. It's like brussels sprouts with icing sugar on top - still disgusting. You either like something or you don't.

rainrain1, Dec 10, 6:57pm
People actually eat brussel sprout with icing sugar, tell me you're joking!

honda886, Dec 11, 5:04am
ive been looking for a yummy silverbeet salad too.can you help me out as well.thanks

margyr, Dec 11, 5:52am
this is the recipe I made "
Had this at a steak house not long ago, was so nice I begged the chef for the recipe

Take a bunch of silver beet, yes silver beet, wash well and strip the leaves from the stems.
Slice it VERY finely.
take 1 orange and finely grate the rind into the silverbeet,chop orange in half then squeeze the juice of one half on top.Chop the other half into bite size pieces and add to silverbeet as well . Add 1/4 - 1/2 cup of any vinagrette dressing and toss lightly.Our choice is chilli and lime

This is you basic recipe. To this I had chopped tomato, avacado, fetta, any thing you like in the salad line.
I am not a great fan of cooked silverbeet but this is soooo yummy it is now a family favourite.
Will never bother with lettuce again. And it looks so pretty on the plate

westigal (74 )2:19 pm, Tue 21 Sep #1"
and both my brother and husband who asked what the heck is this when they saw it had 2nd's, it does not keep very well though so only make enough for dinner.