Power consumption of s/c vrs oven

Page 1 / 2
mango5, Mar 29, 2:42am
I have a slow cooker on most days, sometimes both of them going. Would you use more power using the oven or more using the slow cookers?

245sam, Mar 29, 2:44am
mango5, an oven would definitely use more power as a slowcooker/crockpot uses about the same power as a light bulb.
:-))

maxwell.inc, Mar 29, 2:45am
ovens are a standard 2000w. . thats 2 units per hour. . so depends how long you're using it for

Go look at the back of your S/C and find the wattage, times it by the hours on to work out what its using.

Then get your power bill. . find what you are paying per unit. .

Easy

mango5, Mar 29, 2:55am
thank you both

uli, Mar 29, 4:11am
I am sure we had this discussion before - a crockpot uses heaps more than a light bulb. My small crock has 300W and the big one 450W.

Lets assume we use the small one for 8 hours and its on all the time. It has then used 2. 4kwh.

The average electric household oven has between 1500 and 2000W.
So lets assume you use the bigger one (2kw) for an hour and a half on 180 degrees (which means it will switch on and off all the time) and you will end up with pretty much the same figure approx. 2. 5kwh

It is a myth that crockpots are cheap to run, yes they are per hour - BUT most food takes about 6 to 8 hours to cook in them and because they are such a small element they are on all the time, while the oven switches on and off via its thermostat.

In the end it comes down to convenience and taste. Convenience for the crockpot - taste for the oven. A nice pork roast or a roast chicken is surely much better straight from the oven than "falling to bits" out of the crockpot.

Financially there may be a difference of 5 or 10 cents either way. Nothing to really worry about.

mango5, Mar 29, 6:50am
ok, thanks for that. should say that I made the hangi in the crocpot today and it was delish. dont mind the power usage at all if it tastes good.

mango5, Mar 29, 6:52am
Oh and I have just seen the thread where you explained it all before, but I wasn't in there and hadnt seen it, so thanks for answering anyway.

nzhel, Mar 29, 11:24am
My husband is and electrician and a crockpot has extremely low power consumption - a lot less than using an oven. Confirm with any electrician!

uli, Mar 29, 8:59pm
I am glad that your husband realises that 300w per hour is less than 200W per hour.

However is he a cook as well?

If he is then he would know that a roast in the crockpot takes about 8 hours and a roast in the oven about an hour and a half - so both come out with approx 2. 5kwh

If that is too complicated - then just give your husband this post to read and I am sure he will agree LOL :)

maxwell.inc, Mar 29, 9:00pm
you don't need to confirm with a sparky... its written on the back of each appliance, you only need to use your own brain to work it out... and it may be low consumption in comparison to a house hold oven... but most of us use it for around 10 hours on average... which = the same as using the wall or free standing oven in the end.

nzhel, Mar 30, 12:55am
Oh dear - it really is just so complicated isn't it? - of course an oven uses more power - a crockpot has one tiny element. It may be on for several hours but the amount of power it is using is stuff all! ! ! ! ! Thats one of the good things about a crockpot! I sure will give him your 'informed info' so he can learn something he didn't know.

maxwell.inc, Mar 30, 1:07am
Nzhel its basic maths

I just checked my C/P its 230w no thermostat. . so thats 230w an hour... if I use that to cook a chicken for 10 hours while I am at work thats 2300w ... if I use the wall oven (1500wph) for 1. 5 hours to cook that same chicken as a roast its 2250w - Cheaper by 50w to use the oven.

nzhel, Mar 30, 1:17am
To start with I wouldn't leave a chicken to cook for 10 hours. And for a big chicken which I often cook - it takes longer than 1. 5 hours in an oven.
We will have to agree to disagree - I will use my crockpot and you can use your oven.
I think like a lot of others - I will not bother with the recipe section any more... . . so that should cheer you up!

maxwell.inc, Mar 30, 1:20am
um no I use both thanks. . they both have their advantages. . I dont fool my self that the CP is cheaper to use thou... unless that is I'm only using it for a few hours...

and most people if you keep an eye on the crock pot threads in general and recipes use theirs for 8-10 hours a day in winter.

Your choice not to come back. . but I cant see why you would be chased out by people disagreeing with you on basic maths? thats a bit touchy eh.

nzhel, Mar 30, 1:32am
No not touchy in the least - and nothing at all wrong with my maths - I don't know about your oven - but all the ovens I've had use much more power than you are stating. I originally had just added my 'sixpence worth' to the orginal poster just like everyone else... . . my crockpot is not usually on for anymore than about 8 hours. Happy days... . .

maxwell.inc, Mar 30, 1:39am
And thats correct... BTW BIL is a sparkie and I know exactly whats sold in NZ Oven wise... so... figures still stand.

buzzy110, Mar 30, 3:30am
gosh nzhel. You are leaving because someone disagreed with you and posted the reasons why, leaving you with ample information to debate your point of view. Instead you get all upset and go away and sulk. To leave is your prerogative but don't blame it on other posters, blame it on yourself.

Aren't we allowed to disagree with your pronouncements anymore? Mmm.

morticia, Mar 30, 3:33am
LOL show them some basic maths and it doesn't matter anyway when they can't understand the difference. It's a pretty large chook that won't cook from thawed in 1. 5 - 2 hours.

buzzy110, Mar 30, 4:51am
I guess the same chook would take 10hours in a CP as well so swings and roundabouts. Anyway, poster #1 was using two CPs at once which means she'd be using twice as much power anyway. Therefore her oven would be cheaper because she would still only take as long to cook two loads of crock pot as it took to cook 1 load of crockpot.

Do you reckon that can be understood by some of the permanently confused?

Personally would I rather use my stove top. That works out cheaper overall IMO.

nzhel, Mar 30, 6:29am
Yep thats me - off to sulk - blame it on myself - oh dear - touchy and sulky - I'll keep all those 'pronouncements' of mine to myself in case someone disagrees like I do... . I must learn not to do that... .

biker_69, Mar 30, 8:03am
A Watt is not a measure of energy consumption - it's a rate of consumption - 1W = 1J/s. And the unit is a capital W.

Crockpots don't have thermostats and ovens do, but a crockpot also doesn't have to maintan a larger temperature difference like the oven does, which results in higher losses of heat to the atmosphere by the oven (ΔT).

At the end of the day the difference will be negligible.

maxwell.inc, Mar 30, 8:07am
*hits head on wall* exactly what we are all saying lol

biker_69, Mar 30, 8:10am
Also, in the maxwell. inc calculation there's no allowance for the element duty cycle. It isn't using 1. 5kW the entire time - only when the element is actually switched on by the thermostat. If the duty is 75% then the consumption is actually only 1. 125kW. The duty depends on the thermostat temperature and the ambient temperature and the insulation.

biker_69, Mar 30, 8:12am
But the result is not negligible... . nor the convenience.

lurtz, Mar 30, 8:20am
NZhel.

Chin up :-)Life is full of people with opinions. That's just the way it is. You began an interesting thread today. Good on you. Look at the energy it has generated! I don't knowwhether crockpots or oven uses more power, but putting all the maths aside, I find that different methods of cooking, all have their advantages. I am sure that if I mentioned I have used a microwave since the early eighties, and have done a hell of a lot ofcooking for a large family in it, and found it a Godsend regarding power usage, someone would criticise. (So I won't mention it).

All the best.