Anyone made Alison Holst's 'Best Ever Chocolates'!

pamellie, Dec 7, 4:19am
I started making these yesterday and my filling hasn't set. It's double cream ( I just used normal), butter, chocolate and coconut cream all melted together. It says to leave it to set and then shape and then dip in chocolate. However 24 hours later mine is still all gooey and in no way shapeable or able to be dipped in chocolate.

Has anyone any suggestions as what I can do with it.

babytears, Dec 7, 6:24am
Yes I remember making that recipe when I was a teenager. it didn't set for me either. I can't remember what I did

griffo4, Dec 7, 7:27am
what if you added more melted choc and see if that helps, you can't really lose and if not you can eat it ;-))

pogram0, Dec 7, 8:00am
I would keep on adding some icing sugar until it is of such a consistency that it can keep a shape.Except for the chocolate there is no sweetening in that recipe - I suspect that icing sugar is the missing ingredient.I have a recipe here for chocolate creams - it is made from chocolate, 200g chocolate, 2 tbsp of cream and 225g icing sugar the mixture is stiff enough to knead.After they have set (overnight) you melt chocolate and coat the shapes.

maynard9, Dec 7, 7:28pm
Why don't you email Alison.She has a website. She seems very approachable.

bernice1, Dec 7, 7:47pm
freeze it, thats what i did.and added a bit more melted chocolate too.

prawn_whiskas, Dec 7, 8:47pm
It needs more fat so it can set, to get that you need more chocolate (cocoa solids/butter/fat).Our Cream here is the equivalent of single cream (again not enough fat).

pamellie, Dec 7, 8:52pm
Thanks for the ideas everyone.
I froze it overnight in small spoonfuls and it is better this morning. I have dipped some in chocolate and they seem ok. Not quite the result I was hoping for. I might try and add some extra chocolate and see if that does help. To be honest I'm just about ready to throw it all away and try something else. They were going to be gifts for my work mates and I need them for tomorrow!

prawn_whiskas, Dec 7, 9:08pm
When dealing with an untested new recipe for the first time I always make a 1/4 batch of what ever it is, that way if it fails I haven't wasted all that money on ingredients.It gives you the opportunity to change your mind there and then or tweak it to make it work if you are able.