Is it still a sin to cook a roast in dripping?

Page 3 / 3
maxwell.inc, Apr 16, 1:27am
Tallow, dripping or lard.

fisher, Apr 16, 1:46am
Canola oil for deep frying which is the best of the bad... :}
when I render down pork crackle, I leave the lard in the fry pan and use that to cook my chips and sausages in, if not deep frying. .
(anyone remember Peach Pork Sausages cooked in lard)
Speights40... needs to be hot to fry the potato and not leave a lot of oil infused. . Try sprinkling some chicken salt to improve the flavour... .

speights40, Apr 16, 1:48am
I tried dripping once (supermarket bought) I thought it was disgusting. Mind you I am not a lover of anything mutton (can't stand the smell) so the thought of it being part mutton instantly put me off. Can you buy just beef or pork dripping anywhere? I wonder if the butcher would stock such a thing.

uli, Apr 16, 1:52am
Are you actually following he "heart" recommendations fisher?
They seem so random to me ...

maxwell.inc, Apr 16, 1:58am
You can buy beef dripping - but not from the supermarkets try a butcher.

You cannot to my understanding get Lard in the supermarkets - and the ones I have seen in the past are Hydrogenated so are not good for you.

Very Very easy to ask any butcher be it beef, sheep or Pig butcher to save the fat trimmings for you. . most of the time these are free (I get free range pork fat trimmings for free every week all I did was ask) and its super easy to render it down in the oven. . then pop into a clean sealed jar in the fridge and away you go.

speights40, Apr 16, 2:15am
Must ask my local butcher next time. I see tubs and tubs of it at the local fish & chip shop & have always wondered where they get it but never asked. They just taste better cooked that way and as we only have them about once a week as a treat who cares if they are not so good for you. The thing about a treat is it is not a treat if they don't taste right.

fisher, Apr 16, 2:18am
uli. . no not anymore. . too far gone now. . :{

uli, Apr 16, 2:20am
Hmmm - you may then outlive the ones that do follow those ideas...
Very good luck fisher :)

buzzy110, Apr 16, 4:25am
speights40. I hate to be so negative, but hydrogenated fats really are worse for you than sugar. Even eaten as a treat, once in a while, they are the only fats that your body cannot get rid of so they settle in the walls of your cardiovascular system, where they cause inflammation (think what a prickle does). Your body will try to repair itself but will build up plaque instead, leading, eventually to blocked arteries.

It is simplicity itself to make lard. Go to your butcher and get a nice piece of pork belly with scored skin. Lay some sort of stuffing on one side, fold the other side over and tie up. Roast it (I use a different cooking gadget so don't know how long for or at what temp) till it is cooked and there is a lovely lot of crunchy crackling. You can use an oven bag and take it out for the last 20mins to make the crackling if you like.

Pour off the fat into a pyrex jug and eat your roast. The fat you are left with is pure lard. Lard is quite high in polyunsaurated and unsaturated fats but has a high smoke point so is safe to use in high heat frying, won't turn into trans fats and despite all the publicity to the contrary, is really healthy for you.

tigerflower, Apr 16, 5:53am
oh stop it all of yop. I cant contain my drooling. Bring back the fat I say. We eat a lot of goat roasts. Always with fat. So good.

buzzy110, Apr 16, 6:16am
tigerflower. Just the person I really really want to talk to. I know how to roast so that sort of info is unnecessary but I really really want to know how to roast goat. Do you cover in something, marinate first, put in some sort of fat, smother with herbs or spices or yoghurt or what?

Could that same cut be cut down for chilli?

uli, Apr 16, 6:39am
Well - as the "grower" of goats since 25 years - may I answer any questions you may have LOL :)

I never "cover" anything myself - just go on and "roast" LOL :)

tigerflower, Feb 5, 9:09am
most times just plain roast with extras like, hehe jam, applesauce, . I have rubbed butter and light sea salting/mixed spices but not to much. A rub with worcestor sauce and egg whites gives the outer layer a nice taste.