Is it still a sin to cook a roast in dripping?

Page 2 / 3
uli, Mar 29, 8:58am
Why do you think lard is worse than goose fat?
Have you got any links - or can tell us where that belief comes from?

uli, Mar 29, 8:59am
Hmmm - I would be careful if these are "normal" sheep - and not organic. Cause I know with what horrendous stuff they "drench" these wooly things nowadays.
They do not even drench them by mouth any more - they just pour it down their backs, so it gets absorbed by the wool and the skin and then it goes into the body and into the bloodstream killing the intestinal worms ... you can imagine how strong it needs to be to do that ... so the back fat could be quite unpleasant to eat ...

maxwell.inc, Mar 29, 9:03am
They mouth drench down here... saw a paddock lot being done the other day :o) I do know the bigger farms I have seen up north (more Waikato way) used to pour on thou (also have an ex BIL who used to farm)

griffo4, Mar 30, 7:01am
We use an oral drench sparingly(sp) on all our stock and l haven't heard of a pour on drench for sheep only one to stop fly strike and that is very necessary with the aussie blow fly that attack even clean sheep with no dirt on them.

l agree with using fats to cook roasts as it tastes alot better and has very little tampering with, all natural, l only use butter for baking.

l saw on TV news one night a nurse whose daughter suffered terrible skin problems and when she went back to cooking like our grandparents did (fats and butter etc) her daughters problem went away and they were not overweight either and the young girl was happy and healthy

bedazzledjewels, Mar 30, 7:18am
I think this is the lady Griffo4. Jimmy Moore had a podcast with her last year too. Rachel Tomkinson.

http://www.betterbods.co.nz/about.html

cleggy, Mar 30, 7:37am
I only use dripping for roasts too. Also I use butter in baking.

willow123, Mar 30, 10:16am
People are way too p. c. about telling everyone what to do and what not to do these days and I reckon if you're happy and what you're doing is not illegal then go for it. So cook your roast in lard or dripping and emjoy it!

buzzy110, Mar 30, 11:33pm
This method of cooking is a great example of how sugar is used to replace the absence of fat. And personally, the thought of eating my beautiful savoury roast dripping in a sugary marinade just leaves me cold. I can't even imagine what the gravy (sauce) and potatoes must taste like. Sweet, I should imagine. Eeeew. On top of the sugar, soy sauce is used. Of all the foodstuffs being pushed by the 'healthy' brigade sugar and improperly fermented soy sauce just have to number at the top of the list as the most toxic ever along with modern day Chorelywood style unfermented bread.

purplegoanna, Mar 31, 2:03am
Ill never forget a lady on either country calender or a nz cooking show hadnt cleaned her roasting pan in over 5yrs, she always removed excess fat and left enough in the bottom to roast the next dinner in it. I cant quite remember what the rule of thumb was (uli might know) either dont cook pork in it or dont cook mutton... . . or was it venison... .

uli, Mar 31, 2:06am
No - I wouldn't know LOL
I actually WASH my pans after use ...

jan2242, Mar 31, 3:08am
Yes I saw that one too. Her roast looked divine and no one had died! ! Not sure if I would be brave enough to do that though LOL.

cary3339, Mar 31, 3:26am
i cookwith dripping and love the oven fried chips deep fried in drippingIt doesn't hurt to do it now and again Gives a much better flavour

maxwell.inc, Mar 31, 9:12pm
haha PG

My SIL does this (one of them) but with anything she cooks in the oven. . lets just say. . it didn't take me tooo long after meeting my husband to learn NOT to eat her food... unless you were bought up in her house (and are immune to her bugs) you get sick eating there. . and it would always last a good 2-3 months too!

purplegoanna, Apr 1, 1:02am
It wasnt gross, she just said there was one meat you couldnt cook in it because it turned it rancid (im thinking it was mutton) otherwise left it was fine... damn i should write these things down

kran32, Apr 1, 2:00am
Aaahh! Roast potatoes cooked in dripping. What a treat!

eastie3, Apr 1, 2:42am
From memory, she was on Richard Till's cooking programme. I cook my lamb roasts in water, use the vege water to make the gravy, with a spoonful of flour well browned, it's full of flavour.
I don't like the fat on meat, whether it's crackling or chop fat, I just don't like the mouth feel. I do like a well marbled steak though, so am not entirely squeamish. Mum always cooked with dripping and her roasts were delicious.

bellyatobhs, Apr 1, 3:16am
Yes i remember that episode she also use to hang her mutton for over a week and by golly her roast looked fantasic.

bellyatobhs, Apr 1, 3:17am
also Risk Stein only uses lard and butter it reackons for the best home made chips you need to cook them in lard for better flavour

martine5, Apr 11, 9:22am
yes because I don't like the taste of lard, but goose/duck fat is a different story.

emmapear, Apr 11, 10:00am
My grandmother is a farmers wife and always had a tin of fat that she would put in big lumps on the uncooked meat before roasting. then after cooking she would lift out the meat and pur the fat back into the tin. Then make gravy in her roasting pan.

buzzy110, Apr 11, 12:28pm
I think you will find that it is pork fat (lard) that turns rancid as it is at least 11% polyunsaturated which is vulnerable to rancidity. Mutton and lamb fat (tallow) are only about 1-2% polyunsaturated and solidify at room temperature so can be stored for longish periods out of the fridge.

buzzy110, Apr 11, 12:30pm
Yep. My mother used to do that too.

jaxma, Apr 15, 8:03pm
I do roasts in a bag with nothing added. After the juices start to come out of the cut of meat, it cooks in its own juice and is wonderful! No goodness lost and no fat added - and a clean oven :-)

sp0_0kie, Apr 15, 10:30pm
I dont do my meat with dripping but I do cook the roast veges in it.

mmmmmm slurrp hehe

speights40, Apr 16, 1:20am
Just out of curiosity, what does everyone use to cook homemade chips in? I am really going off them cooked in oil they just don't seem to taste right anymore.