Ham Glazes

accroul, Dec 4, 4:11am
There seems to be lots of recipes out there, what's your favourite!

crails, Dec 4, 4:15am
White wine and apricot jam

timetable, Dec 4, 5:10am
mustard/marmalade or apricot jam and brown sugar.then stud with cloves and pineapple/glace cherries on a tooth pick.

ams7, Dec 4, 5:36am
Mustard and Maple Syrup

bedazzledjewels, Dec 4, 6:19am
Mine is a mustard and Guinness one.

tipsy_bl0nde, Dec 4, 7:56am
My mother in law makes a fantastic glazed ham every year! ( i look forward to it every year because it is the best ham i have ever had ) this year im going to do it :)

She adds Orange juice (main ingredient), splash of pineapple juice, brown sugar, splash of mustard and some marmalade and just keeps glazing through baking. She sits this on a rack above a roasting dish also.

ethelz1, Dec 4, 8:11am
Cover ham with wholegrain mustard then add bottle of watties bit on the side apricot sauce.keep spooning mixture in bottom of dish over ham.delicious.

kassie48, Dec 4, 8:15am
Richard Till (much as he annoys me) uses apricot jam & mustard

juliewn, Dec 4, 9:31am
Our favourite recipe - given to me by a butcher here in Whakatane many years ago (my recipe book notes 1984), is:
Simmer together till the sugar is dissolved:
2 cups brown sugar
1 cup pineapple juice (use the juice from a can of pineapple rings, and make the juice up to 1 cup with water)
1/2 tsp dry mustard.

Place two layers of tinfoil in the bottom of the roasting dish.
Remove the skin of the ham and some of the fat if you want, and score a diamond pattern about 1/4" deep into the surface of the fat that's left.
Place the ham on the tinfoil, then decorate the ham with the pineapple circles and with cherries inside the circles.
Use toothpicks to hold them in place if needed.
Pour over the glaze, cover firmly with foil then the roasting dish lid if it will fit - otherwise just use the foil.
Bake at 160°C for 20 minutes per kilo.
Baste with the glaze about every 10 minutes.

rrrg, Dec 5, 2:41am
Cover ham with wholegrain mustard then add bottle of watties bit on the side apricot sauce.keep spooning mixture in bottom of dish over ham.delicious

This one is great.I used it last year and will use it again this year.yum

marcs, Dec 5, 2:42am
Australian womens weekely this month has Maggie Beers recipe. It looks yum so might try that. Has quice paste in it.

mazzy1, Dec 5, 5:36am
We use Provisions' Apricot Mustard Fruits - it's so damn good it should be illegal! We sell it in our little shop in Clyde and every year the faithful arrive for their supplies :-) It's the most awesome glaze ever!

jmin, Dec 17, 9:19am
Any more favorite glazes.with quantities and cooking times please for a newbie to doing Christmas Hams.

gardie, Dec 17, 4:49pm
Half a jar of Pams/Home brand Apricot jam heated in the mirowave with 2 heaped tablespoons whole seed mustard.Remove skin carefully from ham then pour over glaze.Heat in oven (I usually do for about 2 hours) on 180 basting every 20 mins (or more often).

gaspodetwd, Dec 17, 6:19pm
I have a fabulous Ham ready in the fridge - but I have only ever served it cold. I would like to heat and glaze it. Can you explain exactly what to do, what heat etc.
We would do a very SImple glaze like the pineapple, sugar, mustard one above. But how long! And how often do you baste!

accroul, Dec 19, 2:58am
How does apricot, mustard & whiskey sound! would brandy be better!

bedazzledjewels, Dec 19, 3:05am
My mustard, dark ale and honey one is good Accroul. Not too sweet.

accroul, Dec 19, 3:31am
Care to post the recipe dazz!

bedazzledjewels, Dec 19, 3:32am
I'll email it to you. Are you still with Orcon!

accroul, Dec 19, 3:59am
Thanks dazz

bedazzledjewels, Dec 19, 4:02am
Accroul - I'm just reading what I typed - it's a "thick" paste!

sherrie, Dec 19, 8:53am
I just score the ham in the diaginal crosses then in joining edge put a whole clove into each one.Then pour over Bit on the Side Apricot Sauce and its lovely.Glaze again thru cooking time.If Ham is already cooked you cook it on 180 C.Its 20minutes to each Kilo of Ham.Its easy and tasty!