Christmas dessert recipes

tedddybear, Dec 2, 9:11pm
has anyone got some cold recipes please. would like something different this year

ant_sonja, Dec 2, 9:21pm
A big bowl of Tiramisu or individual serves of Panna Cotta! Chocolate mousse, berries/cherries and cream, fresh fruit Salad, Gelato or Ice cream on the side.just some ideas from what we do around here :-)

tedddybear, Dec 3, 12:03am
Thanksant_sonjathese look real good will give them agomany thanks

sarahb5, Dec 3, 12:43am
I did tiramisu last year - kids didn't like the idea but loved it including the fussy 10 year old daughter of a friend who never tries anything "new" .I made it in my Tupperware gel ring, pretty sure it was the recipe from the Countdown website (really easy) and turned out really well in the gel ring.Also, there was a bit too much and it squeezed out from under the lid for tasting!

southerngurl, Dec 3, 1:41am
eton's mess, or ambrosia.nom nom

bubbles22222, Dec 3, 5:57am
Ambrosia. i use 1 litre yoghurt any flavour, to 3/4 of a bottle of whipped cream, marshmallows and anything else you want to add, options i do are chopped up chocolote, chopped up pineapple lumps, choco buttons, some people do berries instead of the chocolate.Its easy, best to prepare at the last minute, i find if made ahead the marshmallows go a bit soggy and i'm not a fan of them like that.

ams7, Dec 3, 7:24am
Berry Triffle.This is really good.
BERRY TRIFFLE (serves 8-10)

1 ½ Cups Jam, 2/3 Cup Fresh Orange Juice, 2 ½ Cups Cream, 250g Mascarpone, ¼ Cup Icing Sugar, 1 tsp Vanilla Essence, ¼ tsp Ground Cinnamon, 250g Savoiardi Biscuits, 1 ½ Cups Masala, 400g Fresh Raspberries, 250g Large fresh Strawberries, 400g Fresh Blueberries

Melt jam in a small saucepan over medium heat.Remove from heat, stir in orange juice and set aside until the mixture reaches room temperature.Put the cream, mascarpone, icing sugar, vanilla essence and cinnamon in a bowl and beat until soft peaks form.Cut each biscuit in half crossways and dip each piece in the Masala.Arrange half over the base of a 3.25 Litre serving bowl.Sprinkle 1/3 of the combined berries over the biscuits and drizzle with half the remaining Marsala and 1/3 of the redcurrant sauce.Spoon half the cream mixture over the sauce.Repeat layering with the remaining half of the dipped biscuits and Marsala, 1/3 of the berries and sauce, and the remaining cream.Arrange the remaining berries over the cream in a mound in the centre of the bowl.Reserve the final 1/3 of the redcurrant sauce, cover and refrigerate.Cover the trifle with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.Before serving, pour the reserved redcurrant sauce over the berries to glaze.Gently reheat if too thick.

I just use frozen fruit.

tedddybear, Dec 3, 7:32am
is it red currant jam used in the berry triffle

jcdm, Dec 3, 8:10am
my famous chocolate trifle.chocolate sponge broken up, layers of canned boysenberries, juice and baileys, homemade or store bought chocolate mousse and cream.its a favourite

waswoods, Dec 3, 8:16am
I'm doing Christmas flavoured Creme Brulee and meringues filled with chopped chocolate served with berries and cream

uli, Dec 3, 8:16am
Mini Banoffee Pies

I bump the old thread for you.

elliehen, Dec 3, 8:55am
Some helpful low carb suggestions!

usualsuspect, Dec 3, 12:54pm
i do an ambrosia with 2 tubs sour cream 1 tin of mandrin pieces mini marshmellows and shredded coconut its lovely and you would never guess the cream is sour cream

sarahb5, Dec 3, 8:59pm
At Christmas!I don't think Christmas and low carb are designed to work together are they!Fruit salad with fresh mint and some Greek yoghurt - I only used 3 fruits last time I did this and it was delicious - strawberries, fresh pineapple and papaya but you could use whatever you like.

sarahb5, Dec 3, 9:00pm
Why do you use sour cream!It has the same amount of fat as normal cream doesn't it!I use half cream and half yoghurt when I make ambrosia.

uli, Dec 3, 9:44pm
Maybe because of the better taste! The world does not revolve around the amount of fat one eats :)

sarahb5, Dec 4, 3:23am
Which is why I was asking .Not being snarky/smart - just asking because I want to know why

ams7, Dec 4, 5:38am
I usually just use Raspberry as that is what my kids prefer but you could use any jam.

52many, Dec 4, 6:55am
I make my Ambrosia like this. I x 1kg of Strawberry youghurt, 1x 250gr tub of sour cream, small bottle of lightly whipped cream and liquid sugar. Fold all together and add the liquid sugar to taste. Then I add halved grapes, quartered strawberries, halved marshmellows and break in a couple of flake bars. Nothing left at my place.

griffo4, Dec 4, 7:08am
l make this each year as it is light and tasty that goes nicely with the "heavier" desserts or nice on its own
l got it from a magazine many years ago and it always get eaten up quickly
It might sound like a lot to do but you can make it in stages and it is not as hard as it sounds and you can make it ahead of time and keep in fridge
And it looks amazing

Triple Fruit Terrine
First layer
300g frozen raspberries
85g packet raspberry jelly
Second layer
6 ripe peaches or 415g can peaches in natural juice
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon gelatine
Third Layer
1 punnet strawberries
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup clear apple juice
1 tablespoon gelatine
1/4 cup water
Step one
Thaw raspberries in a sieve over a bowl. Make up jelly using only 1 cup of boiling water. Add any juice from the raspberries to jelly. When jelly is cool and beginning to set, add raspberries and pour into a 28cmx10cm terrine or loaf tin. Refrigerate until set.
Step two
If using fresh peaches
Peel peaches, remove and chop flesh roughly. Heat lemon juice, three quarters of a cup of the water measure and sugar together. Bring to the boil. Add the peaches and simmer for 5 minutes or until peach pulp is soft.
If using canned peaches, just add lemon and gelatine mixture. Sprinkle gelatine over 1/4 cup of water and leave to swell. Place in microwave for 30 seconds or until gelatine mixture is liquid. Stir through peach mixture. Cool. Pour over the set raspberry jelly and refrigerate to set peach layer.
Step three
Wash, hull and slice strawberries. Heat sugar and apple juice until sugar has dissolved. Sprinkle gelatine over water and leave to swell. Place in a microwave for 30 seconds or until gelatine dissolves. Stir into apple juice mixture. Cool. Add strawberries and pour over set peach jelly layer. Refrigerate until strawberry layer is set.
To remove jelly, gently ease the sides away from the terrine tin and dip base briefly in warm water. Place terrine tin upside down on a serving platter and shake firmly. Cut into slices and serve with extra fruit and cream or yoghurt.

fairview25, Dec 4, 7:15am
Fairy Cherry Treats
Ingredients:

1.4 Tablespoons butter, room temperature

2.2 cups powdered sugar

3.24 cherries from Cherries Online, chopped

4.2/3 cup peanut butter, room temperature

5.1/2 cup chopped walnuts

6.1 cup shredded coconut

7.1/2 teaspoon salt

8.1 (12-ounce) package semisweet chocolate chips

9.1/4 bar (1-ounce) paraffin wax

Method:

In a large bowl, combine butter, powdered sugar, Cherries Online cherries, peanut butter, walnuts, coconut, and salt. Shape into 1-inch balls.

In the top of a double boiler over hot water, melt chocolate chips and paraffin wax. Insert a toothpick into each ball and dip into chocolate mixture to coat exterior. Place onto wax paper to set. Use another toothpick to push ball from inserted toothpick. If a hole remains where toothpick was inserted, add a small amount of chocolate coating to cover.

ENJOY

be sure to get your cherries from www.cherriesonline.co.nz

waswoods, Dec 4, 9:24am
This sounds delicious!

griffo4, Dec 4, 7:47pm
waswoods it is really nice
fairview l have just placed my order thank you for the link

tinkagirl, Dec 5, 7:51am
Yep this is the right way to make it, but I don't add the extra sugar as the marshmellows are very sweet.