Grans Kitchen

maysept, Dec 2, 12:22am
Has anyone made the Strawberry Slice from this book! Worth giving a go!
We always have a huge glut of berries so looking for something a bit more exciting than just with cream/icecream or balsamic. Thanks!

pickles7, Dec 2, 3:09am
You make it and report back. Strawberries are only $2.00 a chip at the moment, We only eat them fresh.

trah, Dec 2, 7:08pm
Another thing you could do with your strawberry glut if you can't eat them all fresh, is to make stewed rhubarb and strawberry.Cut young rhubarb stalks into inch long chunks.Add sugar to the pan and gently cook till the rhubarb is soft.Don't walk away from the stove as the pan may "catch' with the sugar in the recipe.Just before the rhubarb has completely softened, stir in some strawbs (cut up if big ones).Leave to cool.I put it into pots to freeze.When strawb season has finished, it is nice to have on muesli and yoghurt for breakfast.

badams1, Dec 2, 7:18pm
now theres a most useful tip.trah.will make,as soon as strawberries come on.

lcl2, Dec 2, 7:48pm
I make strawberry jam - made 5 jars last night and had some on toast this morning, really yummy and always a good wee gift for people as well.
Fresh Strawberries and custard are my favourite.
you could alway freeze the excess and use them in cooking during the winter for pies, slices, etc

Try this
Strawberry Pickle

Ingredients:

5 large strawberries (adjust the amount to fit the jar used)

1 green banana pepper

1 1/2 cup water

1/4 cup vinegar

1 tsp salt

1 tbsp sugar

Sterilized Jar with lid

Method:

Wash strawberry and pepper in running water and pad dry.

Arrange strawberries and pepper in the clean jar.

Combine water, vinegar, salt and sugar in a medium pot and bring to boil. Allow to boil for 5 minutes, turn off the heat and let it cool down.

Once the solution cool down, pour it in the jar. Strawberries and pepper should submerge in the liquid.

Close the jar and keep aside for 3 days.

Refrigerate after opening.

elliehen, Dec 3, 1:32am
Half-dipped in dark chocolate, with the green tops left on, they make a brilliant Christmas gift for friends and neighbours.

teddy147, Dec 3, 3:38am
yes i made it yesterday it is so yummy

maysept, Dec 4, 5:05am
Some nice ideas, and glad someone has tried the recipe, I'll give it a go and see how it turns out!

korbo, Dec 4, 5:12am
what is a green banana pepper !

korbo, Dec 4, 5:12am
how, what do you eat it with.the strawberry pickle.

griffo4, Dec 4, 7:11am
korbo they are a banana shaped capsicum pepper and they are really easy to grow and they are sweet
They were in the supermarkets last year they actually look like an oversized chilli pepper but haven't got the heat

griffo4, Dec 4, 7:19am
maysept they look really nice l just pulled out my book and had a look and sounds easy to make
Did you make it and how was it!
l have a recipe for a pie which was blind bake a sweet short pastry and cool then slice strawberries over base and mix up filling
in a saucepan mix 2 tab cornflour with 1 1/2 cups water and 1/2 cup sugar
Stir over a low heat till it thickens simmer for 2 minutes add 1 packet of strawberry jelly and let cool then pour over strawberries